Glock Talk banner

How often do you get major malfunctions?

3293 Views 51 Replies 43 Participants Last post by  Glock Commander
Definitions, for purposes of this thread:

Minor malfunction: Anything fixed by immediate action.
Immediate action: Tap, rack, re-asses (sometimes referred to as tap-rack-bang).
Major malfunction: Anything not fixed by -immediate- action, but fixed by remedial action.
Remedial action: Remove magazine, tilt gun so ejection port is facing somewhat towards ground, rack slide forcefully several times, insert new magazine and chamber new round
Nuclear malfunction: A handloaded kaboom...just kidding (though that would qualify probably), any malfunction not fixable by immediate or remedial action, resulting in the gun being inoperable for the time being

So, how often do you get a malfunction that requires remedial action to fix, and is fixed by remedial action?

If possible, answer only for the use of a quality pistol such as a Glock handgun, quality mags (such as Glock factory or Magpul), and FACTORY ammunition.

For my part, I've been shooting longer than I've been a member here, and I don't think I have ever once exerienced a single malfunction with a Glock pistol that was not fixed by immediate action.
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

· Banned
16,936 Posts
Definitions, for purposes of this thread:

Minor malfunction: Anything fixed by immediate action.
Immediate action: Tap, rack, re-asses (sometimes referred to as tap-rack-bang).
Major malfunction: Anything not fixed by -immediate- action, but fixed by remedial action.
Remedial action: Remove magazine, tilt gun so ejection port is facing somewhat towards ground, rack slide forcefully several times, insert new magazine and chamber new round
Nuclear malfunction: A handloaded kaboom...just kidding (though that would qualify probably), any malfunction not fixable by immediate or remedial action, resulting in the gun being inoperable for the time being

So, how often do you get a malfunction that requires remedial action to fix, and is fixed by remedial action?

If possible, answer only for the use of a quality pistol such as a Glock handgun, quality mags (such as Glock factory or Magpul), and FACTORY ammunition.

For my part, I've been shooting longer than I've been a member here, and I don't think I have ever once exerienced a single malfunction with a Glock pistol that was not fixed by immediate action.
Very rare. Usually with issued ammo, an occasional stove pipe. But, contracts, even with good ammo in huge volumes, leads to some duds. A couple of years ago there was a bad batch of .223 as well. Knowing your firearm, and how to fix it matters, as you have pointed out. Your life may depend on it. I think the worst things I have seen and tried to help the operator error, was people putting in their magazines in backwards. The trick is having it in your support hand where you have the magazine facing properly in the magazine holder, and when pulled out, you can feel the tip of the loaded round. A lot of R.O.'s talking about your working area, which I don't care for, because, I prefer to keep my eyes on the threat, not have a pistol and magazine blocking my view. As long as I did my part on the pre-load, I am fine. A tactile feel already tells me my mag is facing the right way.

· NRA Life Member
75,591 Posts
Shooting .44mag in a cowboy match sounds like a mental malfunction [emoji3]
Not at all. All of my cowboy guns are .44 mag. I don't shoot factory ammo, so there's no reason a .44 mag would be worse than a .45 Colt with even bigger cases and bullets.

· Registered
2,278 Posts
I had a slide lock spring break on a G26 gen 3. It caused the slide to lock back after after every round fired. Had over ten thousand rounds on the gun. I could technically still operate it if I manually dropped the slide lock after every shot but I consider that a major issue.

This was a known issue at one time. I knew immediately what had happened because somewhere I heard of it before. Probably on this forum. It being a Glock, parts were immediately available and it was working 20 minutes later. I will also say I had never taken the lower apart on that gun. If it was improperly assembled it came that way.

Reactions: Buckshot Barry

· Banned
2,861 Posts
Factory ammo.

Had some feeding issues with a coupla low round count GLOCK G23.4's.

Racked them inverted half a hundred times each and the problems went away.

Nutter

· Banned
2,385 Posts
I had a S&W 4006 fail to feed properly a couple of weeks ago. Faulty magazine nose dived the last round into the feed ramp.

Had to drop the magazine to get the round out.

Before that (2014) broke the firing pin spring on a 6906. It had to go to the gunsmith.

Before that (1988) had an M110A2 that wouldn't fire because someone forgot to put the firing pin in the firing lock. Had to pull the primer and take the firing lock off the breech to fix that.

· Registered
6,414 Posts
On the two guns that I have shot the most, I've never needed more than tap-rack-bang, and even that's incredibly rare. To be honest, I only ever see major stoppages on the ESP or NFC guns people are running at the local IDPA match I shoot at. Actually, I rarely see anyone have even minor stoppages unless they're shooting something "special," either the gun or the ammo.

· Registered
8,591 Posts

My Glock 19 Gen 3 had a light strike/hard primer on one round of Tula steel case ammo (out of 4000 rounds) so a 'tap rack' clear the stoppage and I continued with the drill. I found the round, loaded it into a magazine and it fired the second time.

At $7.76 per box of 50 9mm at Walmart is a great deal.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.