How often do you entertain at home?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by BlueEyes, Sep 4, 2015.

1. BlueEyes

BlueEyes

I'm looking around my home - a large kitchen, dining room, living room with fire place and TV/entertainment room, 2 car garage. I have all that stuff and it looks great.

Then I think the number of times I have people over it would be much better just to pay to take them to an expensive restaurant. I could have saved a lot of money with basic furnishing for me.

How many times excluding things like Thanksgiving, Christmas do you have people over to your home?

2. mtpisgah

mtpisgah

We have people over three or four times a month. Sometimes it is just one other couple, sometimes a party for 30. Most often it is two other couples.

When we were searching for our new house last year we kept that in mind. Our old house was 3800sf but most of the space was not suitable for hosting (bedrooms galore, workout room, den that was rarely used). We settled on a 2700 SF house that is still much bigger than we need even for entertaining a lot.

If we could have found a 1500-2000 SF house in an area we liked and in a design we liked, we would have bought it. But we are happy here and the location and design suit use. We could afford the other house with no problem but why? I would rather spend it on vacation and wine than the mortgage.

3. Rizzo

Rizzo Garbage Day!

Aside from the inlaws for carne asada or whatever, never.

NewWaveGuy likes this.
  4. valvestem

valvestem

5. Rotn1

Rotn1

My kids (young adults) entertain in my home multiple times a week.

Back in the day my wife and I used to entertain frequently 2 times per month, that was until we got two Rottweiler's. All of a sudden not as many dinner guests.

At present we have a lot of renovations to do the home before we can hit the "adult" entertainment circuit again.
    Still young adults over constantly for dinner however. Fee food for recent college grads is a big draw.

6. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

7. XDRoX

XDRoX

We have dinner guests at least three times a week. My parents and both my sisters all live within a mile of each other. My kids are 7, 4, and 2. They have cousins all around the same ages. So literally every single day when I walk in from work my kids ask who's coming for dinner. If I say no one it's just us, I get the saddest look.

So we invite people over about three times a week. We usually eat at others houses the other days. Every Sat. we eat at my parents' and every Sun. we eat at my Grandfather's.

And yes, I agree, it gets very expensive. We budget $800 a month on groceries. Every month on the 1st, my wife adds up how much over we spent so I can pay the joint account. In July we over spent by $1100. In August we over spent by $700. But most months we just over spend by a couple hundred dollars. I was off this summer because I'm a teacher and we entertained a lot.

Our dining room table is 12ft by 4ft. It holds quite a bit of people. And then we have a bar that seats 4. I do almost all the cooking, my wife does the cleanup. IMO, I'm getting the better part of the deal.

Here's a picture I just found on my iPhone. Typical dinner at the XDRoX household. My wife is right there on the right digging into her plate. The one with the bra strap showing. My Dad is the bald dude, and my Mom next to him. To the left of my Dad is my 91 year old Grandfather.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
    NewWaveGuy likes this.
  8. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

I never entertain "IN" my home.

I do have people come visit to shoot in the back yard.
    But it's been so hot for the last couple months I've been mostly shooting alone.

9. UtahIrishman

UtahIrishman BLR

About once every ten years or so.

NewWaveGuy likes this.
  10. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

Non-family - rarely

Family - maybe every other month

11. gunowner1

gunowner1

12. Snaps

Snaps Hail 2 The King

Very rarely aand when it is it's like 2 other people.

When it is 2 other people they're one of 3 pairs.

13. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

Four or five times a year for close friends (ten or so.) Our Christmas party however, has become local lore exceeding 70 plus. HH

14. Dragline

Dragline

Pretty much never. My wife and I are not pack animals. We enjoy solitary togetherness.

NewWaveGuy likes this.
  15. GamerGirl

GamerGirl 100% Relevant

We have folks over every other week and a sizable dinner party about once a month.

16. plp

plp

There is a steady stream of folks coming and going in my house 24/7/365, looks like the drive through at a fast food joint. Right now at 11:00 my time, will have a bit of a lull. Two get off after cleaning and prep, won't be home until after midnight. The big push will come around 1:30 A.M., when the folks that work across the bay get home, will have 8 or more fixing food, washing clothes, Then things settle down until around 5:30, when the morning shift folks have to be up and running.

We had our last formal get together about 5 years ago, will let y'all know when it wraps up.

17. Snaps

Snaps Hail 2 The King

and wouldn't call it entertain, but there's a group of people who come and go into my house as they please. It's generally friends I've known as long as i can remember but they basically are jut part of the family

NewWaveGuy likes this.
  18. G30SF/F-250

G30SF/F-250 Pinky Out Platinum Member

PA to LA to NY to FL to IL to VA to GA to OH to FL
    So you are a dealer?

:tongueout:

19. Snaps

Snaps Hail 2 The King

20. BobbyS

BobbyS Truth always sounds like lies to a sinner

Never..................it's why I live in the boonies.

NewWaveGuy likes this.