close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How often do you dry fire?

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by Kiddo, Jan 24, 2005.

1. Kiddo

Kiddo

Hey BoGs! How often do you guys dry fire? Have you ever experienced problems with your firearms because of excessive dry firing? Any recommended good home practice techniques?

2. vega

vega

As often as I can. Sometimes while watching TV or if I'm sitting on the throne. Not that my firearms need it but I use snap caps.

vega

3. antediluvianist

antediluvianist

I dryfire in the office. Close the door, lock it, and dryfire at the doorknob, the lightswitch, the horse in the painting on the wall. One of these days I have to do some work.

4. horge

horge -=-=-=-=- Lifetime Member

Uhm... Ivan? Oh, Ivaaaan.... hehe...

Hi, Kiddo :)
    I no longer dry-fire, at home that is...
    Seems like, short of designated safe area to do it, the danger of forgetfulness and built-in association of triggerpull with one's residence can lead to ND's. I didn't ND at home, but an incident of forgetfulness at the range made me more aware of human frailty ANYWHERE. If I can dissociate being at home with idle trigger-pulls, then the odds for a domestic ND are lengthened.

I guess if you're racing, dryfire at home is necessary.
    I own just for self-defense, and frequent livefire practice at the range
    seems to suit me and me wifey better.

5. mikey177

mikey177 Remember

Like vega, I dry fire at home while watching TV late at night when everyone is asleep.

Horge has raised a legitimate concern regarding negligent discharges. That's why I only dry fire while watching TV, and not at other times like say in the room or while reading a book. This way, my mind is conditioned to follow a pre-set ritual that applies only to that situation: retrieve gun from vault; eject magazine with live ammo and check chamber; place empty gun in gun case with magazine loaded with snap caps; go downstairs; switch TV on; get gun from case and recheck chamber; verify that magazine contains snap caps; insert magazine and visually verify that a snap cap was loaded into chamber; dry-fire to heart's content :)

6. vega

vega

kiddo - When I dry-fire while watching TV, there are times that I will stop DF to concentrate on the movie. Before I proceed to DF again, I re-check the chamber to make sure that I have the snap caps in there and not a live one.

vega

7. jasonub

jasonub

everyday 5 times a week twice a day for an hour each when i want to improve.

now its just an hour every week.

damage on the pistol? just my magwell and mainspring housing

8. PMMA97

PMMA97 TagaBundok

I keep forgetting to buy snap caps ^2

9. tanduay

tanduay

I dry fire every night as possible around 15-30 mins except saturday and put some tape about 2" (+ sign).

10. mc_oliver

mc_oliver

Since I started in 2001 and up until 3 months ago, I dry fired for 5 days a week, 2-3 hours per session. Rest on Sat, tapos range or match on Sun.

After I got the basics down a few years ago, I now setup mock stages around the house. Then run the stages using a par timer.

The longest dry firing I've probably done was with doc's CZ. The first time I got it I spent probably close to 15 hours dry firing the dang thing in 2 days ('di pa kasama full workout sa mag change nun). Ang hirap kasi nung DA trigger pag galing ka sa 1911. ;)

11. toxic

toxic

as you know guys i am out of the country , and here i cant have a pistol to play with ..so i bought a toy gun and customized it by adding steel to the hallow portion of my toy gun to al least make it the same weight as my pistol back home .I Dry fire everyday after work ... my roomy thinks im already nuts coz i taped paper targets in our sliding glass door and dry fire while waiting for my hot water to boil for coffee.. well i told him kanya kanyang trip lang yan ..you do your own stuff and ill do mine ;f

forget about trigger pull .. dry firing a toy gun just keeps sane here..

12. horge

horge -=-=-=-=- Lifetime Member

It's the other way around for me, Oliver...
    The 1911 trigger often scares the crap outta me (well, not literally, as that would be very messy indeed).

Too light and sensitive, especially after the sort of tuning jobs that a lot of pistoleros here favor.

I'll salute the 1911 trigger as a triumph towards resultant accuracy... great for racing. For home use, I'll probably always prefer DA triggers for the safety leeway before the first shot.

Horge

13. antediluvianist

antediluvianist

A friend of mine is new to shooting and had Mang Dolpho lighten up his 1911's trigger. My newbie friend intends to use the 1911 for home defense and range work only, not competition. Mang Dolpho told him that he might just shoot his foot off in a defensive situation if he (Mang Dolpho)lightened the trigger pull, but my friend insisted. We'll see what happens. He might learn the hard way.

Personally, I'm with Horge. For home defense, I like a DA trigger that requires a significant, deliberate pull.

14. FAlvar

FAlvar I love Iya

I always have a piece or two laying around for dry firing. It's an every night thing for me. It's sort of required if you are fond of revolvers (like me).

Note though that when I do dry fire, the bullets are far, far away from the firearm. Plus for revolvers, I don't use snap caps, I use brightly colored plastic discs (takip ng Gatorade can works great) placed on the breech end of the cylinder. So at a glance I know the wheelie is unloaded. Still, I think it's good practice to get used to always checking a gun every time you get distracted.

I also think that we shouldn't worry too much about getting an ND in the house. ND is just that, carelessness.

Once the gun becomes a part of your routine, you begin getting a method for handling it. Parang ganito yan eh: Alot of folks always look for the TV remote to turn on the TV even though they are standing right in front of the TV itself. Force of habit is strong once it becomes a matter of course.

15. 9MX

9MX Rei!

for firearms, keen presence of mind must always tag along with the force of habit;)

16. LeeDimaculangan

LeeDimaculangan

every day for an hour--- but then again i shoot 3x a week--- so thats even more.... uh yeah im actually surprised my gun lasted this long o_0

17. zorkd

zorkd

i dry fire all the time, no snap caps, the norinco don't need em.

18. Rangeboy511

Rangeboy511 Millennium Member

I think I dry fire the night before each range trip for the most part. I am required to qualify 3 times a year and make sure I dry fire for a couple of days before I go qualify. Usually dry fire for about 5 minutes at a time.