close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How often do you detail strip and clean your Glock?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by nyycanseco33, Jan 8, 2012.

1. nyycanseco33

nyycanseco33 Da Fk'n Man

I field strip and clean my Glock after every time I shoot but I'm curious how often some of you actually detail strip the entire slide and/or frame and do a thorough cleaning?

So far I only detail strip 2 times a year for a thorough cleaning and lightly oil the recommended spots but I field strip and clean it all the time after I shoot, sometimes if not that dirty I use a boresnake also for the quick cleaning

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

2. JCM1976

JCM1976

Every time after I shoot it. I know that is too much, but it relaxes me and it doesn't take that long to do it. Detail strip my 1911 every 1,000.

3. ChicagoZman

ChicagoZman

Field strip and clean every time it comes home from a shooting session. Detail strip only once a year even though none of my Glocks have ever actually needed it.

4. lyodbraun

lyodbraun

I dont do it after every trip to the range but I find it to be Relaxing to come home and strip and clean your weapons and make them all nice and clean....

5. G30Mike

G30Mike Say When!

Mine get detail stripped and cleaned after every range trip. I'm pretty anal about my guns being clean. I've gotten so good at it I could do it on the toilet in the dark.

6. Beretta92guy

Beretta92guy

won't excessive detail stripping ream out the pin-holes?????

7. jem375

jem375 NRA Life Member

Have yet to detail strip to clean and don't intend to... not necessary

8. Beretta92guy

Beretta92guy

i would think it not necessary also, unless something is broken and needs replacing...ive never had a problem

9. f350fiver

f350fiver

I have never detailed my Glock yet, perhaps one day.

10. Snapper2

Snapper2

Every time I shoot I find brass shavings in the firing pin channel. So I only detail strip the slide for cleaning each time I shoot. The frame gets detailed once or twice a year:whistling:(or of course every time I try a new connector or trigger spring)

11. G30Mike

G30Mike Say When!

Nah, I used to do the same thing to my gen 2 G22 all the time. She had at least 20,000 rounds through it. Couldn't tell how many times I took that thing down to bare bones and reassembled.
    The only thing I've ever heard is the paint on the pins will wear off and become not loose, but just not as tight anymore.

12. AgentM79

AgentM79 Platinum Member

If by detail-strip you mean taking the armorer tool and removing the frame and slide components, Glock RECOMMENDS doing this annually. In reality, it need only be done if there is a problem or a parts breakage. Excessive detail stripping can cause undue wear on pins, and cause holes to come out-of-round. The end result is that pins will start "walking", and expensive parts like locking blocks may have to be replaced prematurely. It's also a surefire way to wreck a trigger connector housing, as the metal leg of the connector will be rubbing against a narrow polymer cut-out. Glock's modification of the housing's design to allow a punch to push the connector out from the opposite side reduces the risk, as does the trick of using a discarded connector as a push tool (works on older housings without the punch cutout).

I'm just offering an opinion here. A LE armorer is more likely to have to strip a Glock because it was dropped in sand, or immersed in mud, than they are to do so because of a broken part. I USED TO strip my Glock pistols annually. No more. Now, only if there's a problem and/or it fails a bench test.

13. hotpig

hotpig IAFF Local 4766 CLM

Because it is my duty weapon my G17 gets cleaned every five years or 5k rounds. I know it is over kill but better safe than sorry. I do on occasion have to run it under a water stream because I get wet drywall or other fire debris all over it while working.

I have never detailed it. Normally my more expensive guns need that type of maintenance to be reliable.

14. nyycanseco33

nyycanseco33 Da Fk'n Man

Drywall and other fire debris? I'm assuming you are a fire investigator and carry while on the job?

15. hotpig

Yes, and if I make the attack it is under my bunker gear.

16. Walk Soft

Walk Soft

Every time I try a new spring kit,striker,safety plunger etc....
    I shoot my 17 a lot.1000 rounds or more per month and I've never noticed the firing pin channel dirty.
    I'd guess that a detail strip/cleaning wouldn't be necessary more frequently than every 20,000 rounds.

17. nyycanseco33

nyycanseco33 Da Fk'n Man

Excellent, I'm a 911 dispatcher and volunteer for my hometown, I carry on rescue/ems calls but I have a lock box at the station that I can use to put my gun in there if there's a fire so it's not on me under my gear (it's actually the medication lock box but there plenty of room for 4 of us to put our guns in there also)

18. hotpig

Other than me guns are forbidden. The Assistance Chief wants mine hid at all times. He says guns scare the Volunteer firemen and we need them. Most of them know I have a gun but have never actually seen me with one.

19. kashdaddy

kashdaddy Glockaholic

detail strip and clean weekly after every shoot. as much as i could. its too easy not too. and i like to inspect every details..........especially the firing pin area.

20. owl6roll

owl6roll

on my duty weapon every other birthday, so this July.