Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just shot 4 boxes of the "Russian Bear" ammo. I must say I was pleasantly surprised, but damn was the gun dirty afterwards.

How often do y'all clean the lower assembly, especially when you shoot the dirty Russian bear ammo?

·
NRA Patron Member, Blue Knights Member
670 Posts
I usually clean the entire weapon after every time it's fired. Too many years in the military to let me feel comfortable with a dirty weapon. Does it need to be cleaned so often? Probably not but that's just me. It would take a lot of "Dirt" to really effect a Glock in any way. I guess that you could shoot a Glock for years without cleaning it and it will still function. Check out some of the Glock torture tests on You Tube.

·
Wolverine
10,592 Posts
I usually clean the entire weapon after every time it's fired. Too many years in the military to let me feel comfortable with a dirty weapon. Does it need to be cleaned so often? Probably not but that's just me. It would take a lot of "Dirt" to really effect a Glock in any way. I guess that you could shoot a Glock for years without cleaning it and it will still function. Check out some of the Glock torture tests on You Tube.
Ditto. I don't understand why anyone wouldn't clean a firearm after using it.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
I brush it out after every shooting but I do not remove the pins to take out the trigger every time if that's what you mean. It's not necessary and can eventually work them loose. I only remove them maybe twice a year on heavy use guns.

But then I don't shoot Russian ammo either. I had a case of .380 and gave most of it away after cleaning a Sig with about 100rds through it.

·
Deplorable
369 Posts
I brush it out after every shooting but I do not remove the pins to take out the trigger every time if that's what you mean. It's not necessary and can eventually work them loose. I only remove them maybe twice a year on heavy use guns.

But then I don't shoot Russian ammo either. I had a case of .380 and gave most of it away after cleaning a Sig with about 100rds through it.
This. I just use a toothbrush to get any residue out of there.

·
Just sayin'
4,642 Posts
I clean my firearms after I come home from the range. Good peace of mind having clean guns in the safe. All Glock frames are wiped, brushed, and cleaned well including the slide and barrel. I would hate to have corrosion take hold of my tools.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
After every range visit...I hose it out with brake cleaner, then scrub the dirty parts with a toothbrush while it's still wet. Then rinse it off with the brake cleaner again and shake or wipe it off and that gets it very clean.

·
1911 lover
10,174 Posts
I have purchased a few police used glocks, some 15 or 20 + years old. Some of them looked like the internal slide parts had never been cleaned. And the lower looked beyond dirty, but they all have worked great. So you need not fear the gun will suddenly stop working cause it got dirty.

·
NRA Patron Member, Blue Knights Member
670 Posts
Having been a Cop for 20 years I can tell you that some of my brothers in arms never cleaned or oiled their Glock 22's! I know it's hard to believe but some Cops are the worst shots at the range barely qualifying. Keep in mind many Cops are not on patrol but work the desks, evidence rooms and forensics etc. If I bought a Police turn in and it was spotless it would either have come from a really good distributer or an neurotic sicko Cop like me.

·
I'm not retired
7,810 Posts
I know it's hard to believe but some Cops are the worst shots at the range barely qualifying.
Not hard to believe. When I took my cross over for the SD, back in '87, there were a number of cops at the academy, requalifying. Guns were 4" Smith revolvers that would definitely hit what you wanted, except in the hands of some cops. Passing score was 230 out of 300 and you got 3 attempts, but each attempt had to be done on a different day, if you needed it. It was interesting the number of 227's and 228's that got 'grandfathered' through, after 3 failed attempts. You could shoot a 240 on that course, blindfolded, standing on your head, and shooting with your foot.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
First I don't shoot dirty ammo.
Next I thoroughly clean pistols that have been to the range about once a month.
This is done with hot water, and dishwashing soap in the kitchen sink. With a tooth brush scrub any signs of dirt, everywhere I can reach, rinse and lay on a paper towel, after shaking it to remove excess water. Barrel gets a good scrub inside and out, and a Bore Snake with Break Free down the tube, as I put it back together.
Slide, gets a careful cleaning with Break Free, to keep water out of the Firing Pin Tube.
About once a year a detail strip and clean.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I field strip and clean after three or five range sessons. G17 is 18 months old and lower never disassembled. I'm installing a glocktriggers guardian kit this week so the lower will receive a good cleaning

1 - 20 of 131 Posts