How often do you change the batteries in your weaponlight?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Lampshade, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Lampshade

Lampshade

Title says it all.

2. Crazy_Horse

Crazy_Horse

Honestly, when they die. I check them once a week. I go through a set of batteries every three months.

3. Lampshade

Lampshade

Are you an LEO or something? I imagine you must be doing lots of low light training to be going through batteries like that.

4. Crazy_Horse

Crazy_Horse

No not LEO, the CR123A batteries just dont last me that long.

5. collim1

collim1

In my TLR-1 LED that is on my P220 (nightstand gun) whenever they die, which in the two years since I have had the gun has been never. I am still on the original set of batteries. I rarely shine the light, maybe a few times a year while checking out a bump in the night. CR123's have a LONG shelf life and do not dwindle over time, just when being used.

In my Surefire forearm (incandescant) on my 870P patrol shotgun I replace them every year just to be safe. In truth I only take the shotgun out of the car 4-5 times a year, but given the nature of the situation when I need it I replace the batteries every year and put them in one of my LED Surefire lights.

In my EDC Surefire E2e incandescent I replace them when they go dim and put them in my Surefire G2 LED as they will still give useable light for a couple of hours in the LED flashlights.

I prefer the incandescent lights for duty use with exception being the TLR-1 on my pistol, it is a very bright WHITE light with no blue/purple tint that some of my LED lights have.

I have several Surefire LED's that I use as task lights around the house with the batteries that are too worn down to power the incandescent weapon lights.

I buy SF batteries in bulk for cheaper than buying singles, but lately the SF batteries seem to have gone up. Luckily I can get a few from work so I dont buy many each year.

My flashlights that I use the most are cheap LED's that use cheapo AA's, and my duty ligtht is a Streamlight rechargeable.

Worst case scenario is your battery is near dying when you grab the weapon for a critical incident. Chances are that incident will be over in seconds and the diminishing light wont make a difference. IMO weaponlights are bordering on being too bright for inside building use. 30-65 lumens is plenty inside a house at short distances. Anything more than that and it is blinding to you as well, especially if you have light colored walls in the house.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  6. Crazy_Horse

Crazy_Horse

I must play around with my light more than i think if you have batteries lasting 2 years. That an im likely using crap batteries.

7. FLglockdude

FLglockdude

I've had my TLR-1s on my M&P for over a year and it's still on the original set of batteries.

8. collim1

collim1

I use the SF brand batteries only, so I cant comment on the how the cheaper ones hold up.

And really, my P220 sits on my nightstand at night and may get flashed a second or two a couple times a year when the dog barks in the middle of the night and I get up to check the house out.

I must admit I piddled with it enough the first day or two I had it to use the batteries that came with it up, but since the new wore off I haven't had to replace them.

To the OP, you could always use a mutli meter to test the voltage and throw them out or stick them in a LED task light when they show diminished voltage.

They say they are 3v but will test about 3.2-3.4v when new. If they get below 2.5v put them in another light to use around the house.

9. VinnieD

VinnieD

Still on the original set that came with the light. I don't shoot at night more than to deal with the occasional armadillo or Coyote or very rarely to investigate suspicious noises.

10. Glocker1984

Glocker1984

I change my weaponlight/Flashlight batteries for duty use every 6 months (and as needed) just for cheap insurance. Does it have to be done that often? Probably not, but I hate it when I grab a light, and the batteries die after 3 minutes of use. My nightstand duty firearm light/optics get changed out once a year.

Duty Handgun: Streamlight TLR-1s LED
    Main Flashlight: Maglite 3 D-cell LED
    Duty Belt Flashlight: Streamlight Polytac LED
    Backup/EDC Flashlight: Streamlight Protac 1L LED
    Patrol Rifle Weaponlight: Streamlight TLR-1s LED
    Nightstand Weaponlight: Streamlight TLR-1s LED

Yes, I love flashlights/weaponlights. :whistling:

11. Lampshade

Lampshade

Yea, my batts have been going on two years or so as well.

That's why I was asking if you did tons of low light training or something.

12. M&P15T

M&P15T All Hail King Kona

I took my Surefire M951 off my AR.....too damn heavy.

Someday I'll find something lighter.

13. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

I have something over about sixteen weapons that use batteries in lights and lasers.
    And a couple dozen Red Dot sights, several on defense guns. About six laser/lights use CR123 batteries. All last a fairly long time.

I keep a good check on the batteries in the primary defense guns and change them when they weaken.
    On the practice guns I sometimes shoot the guns until battery failure.

I have a home range where I often practice in low light and dark. I have shot a Crimson Trace laser, on a 38 J Frame, to battery failure.
    After seeing the laser start to weaken I still fired another 26 rounds before I couldn't see the laser dot at 52 yards.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]