close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How much $$$ would you spend to save your dog?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by IndianaMatt, May 30, 2012.

1. IndianaMatt

IndianaMatt

Our shiba inu needs therapy, because he was involved in a very serious car accident years ago, and he's starting to lose function in one of his rear legs again. he had a very complicated injury to his pelvis and rear legs. Vet said it will be weekly treatments, that obviously cost money.

It got us talking - how much is too much? At what point do we let the dog go or get sicker?

Keeping in mind that Moose is probably my best friend in the world, I'd spend a lot to keep him healthy. But where's the line? There's surgery for his condition that might cost upwards of $4,000...

2. Wil Ufgood

Wil Ufgood GTDS #88 CLM

I feel for you. I've spent a tremendous amount on my pups over the years. Ultimately our final decisions were always based on will this really make things better, or simply extend their life a bit. Never really considered cost. Best of luck.

3. JoeCitizen

JoeCitizen

$200 to $500. Just depends. My record so far is around $350 over about 3 visit to take care of a wound.

4. IndianaMatt

IndianaMatt

Yep. We're very cognizant that at a certain point, while it may be "extending" the dogs' life, it may not be a good one. At that point, it becomes selfish only for us, exposing the animal to prolonged suffering when nature may have dispatched with him by now.

It sucks, but life is as short as it is beautiful.

5. JimIsland

JimIsland

it depends on it's age and quality of life after the operation. we have spent over 3k to save one of our 3 year old labs but I put one down 2 years ago that was 12 and in poor health. Worse thing I've ever done......I feel for ya bud. Good luck

6. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

I feel for you.

Sometimes we are overtaken by circumstances.

As much as we would like to, you can't save them all..

I'm sure you will make the right decision for you and the puppy.

7. TheExplorer

TheExplorer

I know people that have spent upwards of $10,000, and, no, they did not have that to spend. I would pretty much sell anything to keep my pets alive. I feel if the procedure has a high success rate, I would do it. I remember how I felt when I lost my last dog. still sick about it years later. But if you have a family to support, that is an important consideration as well.

Good luck in your decision.

8. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

I will spend every cent I have up until the point when his quality of life can no longer be guaranteed. HH

9. knightkrawler00

knightkrawler00

We've spent a grand each on two different dogs. Dakota was ultimately put down when the next step was going to cost at least 3k and her chances were still pretty bad. Jenny is barking at the tv as I type this. My most loved dog, Montana, was hit by a truck a couple weeks after we put Dakota, his mate, to sleep. His hip and left hind leg were broken badly. Being a Great Pyreneese that loved to jump around, his chances of properly healing and not refracturing later were very slim and the decision was made to put him down as well. I do not envy your position.

10. SMOKEin

SMOKEin

Agreed.

I would spend and spend, but I would never allow it to turn into just keeping them around but not allowing them to have a good quality of life.

ETA - Just spent ~$500 at the vet today on xray's, blood work, shots, etc. Then the vet tell's me its probably just allergies.

Last edited: May 30, 2012
  11. deathpriest

deathpriest

As long as the quality of life post treatment would be good... I'd probably hit $10K, if these were at my disposal. My dog has health insurance since his 8th week of life. Not covering routine visit but more like accidents and unexpected illness.

12. *ASH*

*ASH* FURBANITE

WE HAD A HUA HUA ,she lived to be 10 years old but had problems along the way , knee surgeries , etc etc , and had good quality of life til heart failure set in , she was meds for it and doing great , then one night i knew something wrong , we drove to nc state vet school , and after some trying , i knew it was time . it was the first time i went in and she did not get up and wag her tail i just knew .

she was my baby . i spent over 24,000 in those 10 years and i would do it again and for all our 4 legged pets .

and to those who dont agree remain civil in my post . i dont like people who say " what !!! i would have put her down long ago "
    crap like that rawls me up

13. mortpes

mortpes

If the animal has a special talent or special training then a greater financial investment may be indicated. For most pets very little. After all they are just animals. But I also think we spend way too much on humans as well. Above all I do think we should not allow suffering, animals or humans.

14. Snaps

Snaps Hail 2 The King

Depends on if he'll live for years comfortably afterwards. I just spend 1300 to have a growth removed from his neck and one from his leg. Turned out to be just a fatty tumor, no risk, but he's happier and I'm happier.

The answer is, if he'll live a good, happy life.. how much do I have?
    My dog is as much family to me as anyody else.

Last edited: May 30, 2012
  15. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

For some of us, just being our pet is their special talent. HH

16. Wil Ufgood

Wil Ufgood GTDS #88 CLM

Amen!

17. *ASH*

*ASH* FURBANITE

good ole GT never lets you down , there is always one .

18. 13 ROMEO

13 ROMEO 2nd Armored Cav

Whatever it takes. Our boys(9 year old Pug, and 2-4 month old Bostons) mean everything to us. We lost Fred (Boston/Chua. mix) 2 years ago Sep. He was with us for 12 years and we spent thousands on him. The best friend I ever had. Their unconditional love is priceless.
    So "NO" no amount is too much.

Last edited: May 31, 2012
  19. ThePhoneGuy

ThePhoneGuy

I said no to a diagnostic MRI after our second Husky had some kind of seizure. It would have cost $1k and only have been a test not a treatment or cure. She got better but not because of any treatment. It was the uncertainty of where it would all go that made me say no.

20. Jefs

Jefs CLM

I'm sorry to hear of your plight. Spend the money so long as it doesn't compromise the well being of the rest of your family. You won't regret it and that will be important to you that you did so down the road.