close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How Much Scope for Varmints?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Matt VDW, Apr 17, 2003.

1. Matt VDW

Matt VDW Millennium Member

Let's suppose, for the sake of discussion, that we have the following:

1) A .243 Winchester varmint rifle which will, with the right handload, consistently shoot 5-shot groups of 0.8" or less from a benchrest at 100 yards.

2) A shooter with good trigger control who is competent at estimating ranges, doping wind, and firing from field-expedient rests.

Given the above, what is the maximum range at which the shooter should expect to hit an exposed groundhog at least 75% of the time on a calm, sunny day?

And how much magnification does a rifle scope need (assuming it's of better-than-average quality) to give the shooter a clear sight picture of a groundhog at that range?

2. C Broad Arrow

C Broad Arrow

As much as you can afford to put on the rifle.

3. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

max range would be a long *** way. but things get weird past 300 yards in my experience. when shooting past 300 it gets exponentially harder becuase all of the variables that effect bullet flight take on a more significant role.

the only way to know is to shoot at long range. if you hit it you can shoot that far ;f

for the scope, my dad uses a 6-18x cranked all the way up and i use a 3-9x. for this purpose i would like to bump up a notch though. so i would go with a good 4.5-14x with good parallax adjustment and a good spotting scope to find the buggers. they are about as close to a stationary target as you're going to find in the animal kingdom, so i wouldn't worry too much about field of view.

4. Matt VDW

Matt VDW Millennium Member

Thanks for the responses. I've been thinking about something with a maximum magnification of at least 10x, but there's a trade-off between power and quality at a given dollar point.

By the way... is there any real advantage to getting an objective lens bigger than 40mm?

5. Scott H

Scott H Guest

Pick up the latest issue of Shooting Times, there is a great article on just this subject by a guy who has been shooting p-dogs for 30 years.

Benchrest shooting at 100 yards?? That's .22LR territory. A .243 needs a good 4-12x or 6-18x. Try a bushnell Banner series, recommended in the article btw. Anything bigger than a 40mm OL and your cheek is going to raised off the stock, not what you want to be doing for a steady hold on p-dogs and such.

6. tjpet

tjpet

For sit & shoot varminting I like as much magnification as possible so I get my IVG's (instant visual gratification) up close and personal. Nothing like seeing the fleas thrown off from impact to make a guy's day.

Most of my long range outfits have 6x24x40mm scopes on them. I'm particularly fond of Weaver's. They have excellent optics for the money.

As Scott H mentioned anything bigger then 40mm is going to raise your cheek off the stock and that doesn't lead to precision shooting at the longer ranges.

7. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

if you do need to get high rings or your rifle has a low comb, like my varmint popper, do yourself a favor and pick up an eagle industries stock pack. it raises the comb of the stock and the padding and suede cheek rest are really comfortable. i could do without the pack part since i don't put anything in there, but you could. beleive it or not but with no more "head wobble" my groups shrunk a lot.

they list on eagle industries site for $35 but i got mine for $25 at a gun show.

[​IMG]

http://www.eagleindustries.com/mainprod.asp?scv=0