Glock Talk banner

How Much Of A Role Does Comfort Play In Your Choice Of Carry Gun.

1789 Views 47 Replies 35 Participants Last post by  gunsmoke92
I know that comfort shouldn't be the primary concern when choosing a handgun for concealed carry but it is A concern.

I started out with a fullsized steel CZ75B. 22 years later I've downsized to my plastic fantastic Glunk 19. There were a couple of other steps along the way but ultimately I quit carrying the CZ because it was like walking around with a brick on my hip.

When I transitioned from my 4006 to my 6906 the weight difference between the two was the primary factor that drove my decision.

I understand the concept that the gun is supposed to be comforting not comfortable but the fact is if the pistol is UNcomfortable enough I'm not going to carry it.

How many of you actually carry a PiTA gun because you feel you're better armed with it
Reactions: ReaPer105
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

· Exploring Alternate Routes
5,426 Posts
Weight does factor in. A G19 or G23 is lighter than a Commander, with over twice the firepower. A wise man told me that carrying a pistol should be comforting, more so than comfortable.
That is all subjective. Carry position and holster choice are much more critical. A G22 is almost as comfortable as a G26 in my holster choice. Barrel length is more the culprit than with with it.

YMMV

Reactions: SevenSixtyTwo

· Registered
3,835 Posts
I've gotten to the point that the G19 is about as big as I want to carry. I carried a G29 for a few years. Even packed a G20 at times. Now its either G17, G19, or G26. I only put on the G29 for woods trips anymore.
I have no idea how cops carry AOL that crap around all day. They have got to develop back problems pretty often. I could not imagine chasing someone down with all that weight. God bless what they do,

· ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
20,744 Posts
I hit the threshold of too large to properly conceal well before comfort concerns. When weather/clothing allow, I'll IWB a full size with no comfort issues. It's just a matter of concealment requirements that hold me back.

Even in minimal clothing a G19 size usually works...smaller is needed depending on the desire to utterly and completely conceal the gun's presence

Reactions: SevenSixtyTwo

· NRA "Benefactor Life" Member
727 Posts
I know that comfort shouldn't be the primary concern when choosing a handgun for concealed carry but it is A concern.

I started out with a fullsized steel CZ75B. 22 years later I've downsized to my plastic fantastic Glunk 19. There were a couple of other steps along the way but ultimately I quit carrying the CZ because it was like walking around with a brick on my hip.

When I transitioned from my 4006 to my 6906 the weight difference between the two was the primary factor that drove my decision.

I understand the concept that the gun is supposed to be comforting not comfortable but the fact is if the pistol is UNcomfortable enough I'm not going to carry it.

How many of you actually carry a PiTA gun because you feel you're better armed with it
I carry a G27 because of it's compact size, but the other day I went to my range and shot both my G22 and my G27 and they both, basically shot even.

· Registered
11,721 Posts
That's a determination everyone has to make for him/herself.

I know a female real estate agent who CCWs a G-26 in a thigh holster but haven't inquired as to her opinion on comfort, although it seems to me it would be somewhat cumbersome.

I CCW a 9mm Shield the majority of time because of size and comfort. I own a slightly larger, heavier 9mm and a G-32, both of which I believe superior to the Shield --- if I knew I was going to be involved in a defensive shooting --- so of course I'd prefer either of them to the Shield.

However, because of my usually staid, routine lifestyle I subscribe to the theory that it's better to have the small pistol on me than the larger ones left back home because they were just a little too large and heavy for me to pack on a given day.

· Millenium #3936
6,681 Posts
Comfort is for seat cushions and undergarments .... not weapons. I welcome comfort but it is not part of the selection process. I do not expect the carrying of a weapon to be "comfortable". I think the concept is unrealistic.

· Registered
414 Posts
Comfort is for seat cushions and undergarments .... not weapons. I welcome comfort but it is not part of the selection process. I do not expect the carrying of a weapon to be "comfortable". I think the concept is unrealistic.
I'll politely disagree. Spend hours in a vehicle on surveillance with an uncomfortable weapon/holster and you may change your mind. Having done a 2500 mile road trip following a bad guy over three days through multiple states makes you appreciate a comfortable outfit. For those that care to know, a Glock 23 in a Kramer Belt scabbard with a Kramer mag pouch.

· Registered
582 Posts
I carry my Shield 40 off duty. It gives me a good compromise of low weight, slim profile and firepower. Even in the summer, when wearing shorts, I wear t-shirt tucked in and an open cover shirt. I wear extra mag/cuffs on off side with clip on badge on belt in front of Shield. Once I retire in January 2019, the cuffs will be replaced with 2nd mag and the badge will be moved to wallet as a retirement badge along with my retirement ID.

· Registered
10,378 Posts
You can always tell the brand new CCW owners. They parrot the same old phrases as if the rest of us haven't heard them for decades. Comfort is very important in selecting a firearm, holster and method of carry. You'll go through several before you find yourself no longer looking for something different. That's when you'll know you've found what's comfortable for you both physically and mentally.

· On the Border
16,868 Posts
I'd say how you position the gun makes more difference than its size and weight.

From the gun standpoint, comfort is very low on my list of priorities, but that's because it's not difficult to position any pistol I'd want to carry so that most comfort problems are solved.

· Millenium #3936
6,681 Posts
I'll politely disagree. Spend hours in a vehicle on surveillance with an uncomfortable weapon/holster and you may change your mind. Having done a 2500 mile road trip following a bad guy over three days through multiple states makes you appreciate a comfortable outfit. For those that care to know, a Glock 23 in a Kramer Belt scabbard with a Kramer mag pouch.
Perhaps a weapon "needs" to be comfortable to you..and if it does, that's fine but it does not need to be comfortable for me. I simply accept that some things are difficult to do and some things are unpleasant to endure. I have many requirement for a weapon but none of them are related to comfort. I have done plenty of things in my life regarding the carriage of weapons to know how I feel about it , I stand by what I have said.

· Banned
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I will and I have carried handguns that were a pain in the *** to carry but only until I find one that's not a pain in the ass to carry.

Perhaps a weapon "needs" to be comfortable to you..and if it does, that's fine but it does not need to be comfortable for me. I simply accept that some things are difficult to do and some things are unpleasant to endure. I have many requirement for a weapon but none of them are related to comfort. I have done plenty of things in my life regarding the carriage of weapons to know how I feel about it , I stand by what I have said.
What do you carry?

· Millenium #3936
6,681 Posts
I carry a Browning Hi Power 9mm in the winter months and a G43 in the summer.

· Registered
7,835 Posts
Comfort comes in a couple different things to me (in a very gun friendly state)

Comfort of the gun: a good belt and a good holster do wonderful things for this. I was carrying a revolver for the longes time but have recently decided to change to a Glock. Haven’t gotten one for carry yet, but I’ve been carrying my duty G17 in one of those Trex appendix rigs. The little wing thing tucks the grip of the gun in tight and it’s quite comfortable. I’m used to appendix carry, and this has worked well for my. I recently borrows a G19 for a size comparison and have decided to pick one up to be my off duty carry gun. Once the wife is distracted, I’m going to run out and get one.

The other part is being comfortable carrying a concealed gun. I’m not too hung up on if the gun prints a little bit if I move a certain way. I’ve been carrying long enough and been in law enforcement long enough to know the only people really paying enough attention to notice a slight print are other people with guns. And AZ is friendly state. It would be a much different decision if I was in San Diego or NYC. When I go to San Diego on vacation, it’s usually a revolver in the pocket.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.