Glock Talk banner

How Much Of A Role Does Comfort Play In Your Choice Of Carry Gun.

1793 Views 47 Replies 35 Participants Last post by  gunsmoke92
I know that comfort shouldn't be the primary concern when choosing a handgun for concealed carry but it is A concern.

I started out with a fullsized steel CZ75B. 22 years later I've downsized to my plastic fantastic Glunk 19. There were a couple of other steps along the way but ultimately I quit carrying the CZ because it was like walking around with a brick on my hip.

When I transitioned from my 4006 to my 6906 the weight difference between the two was the primary factor that drove my decision.

I understand the concept that the gun is supposed to be comforting not comfortable but the fact is if the pistol is UNcomfortable enough I'm not going to carry it.

How many of you actually carry a PiTA gun because you feel you're better armed with it
Reactions: ReaPer105
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
414 Posts
During my 5 year stint in narcotics I quickly switched from a 1911 to a Glock 23. Sitting in a car doing surveillance for hours on end will make you appreciate comfort. And for some reason driving and just sitting are different.

· Registered
414 Posts
Comfort is for seat cushions and undergarments .... not weapons. I welcome comfort but it is not part of the selection process. I do not expect the carrying of a weapon to be "comfortable". I think the concept is unrealistic.
I'll politely disagree. Spend hours in a vehicle on surveillance with an uncomfortable weapon/holster and you may change your mind. Having done a 2500 mile road trip following a bad guy over three days through multiple states makes you appreciate a comfortable outfit. For those that care to know, a Glock 23 in a Kramer Belt scabbard with a Kramer mag pouch.

· Registered
414 Posts
I carry a Browning Hi Power 9mm in the winter months and a G43 in the summer.
Two solid weapons that I would carry any day of the week.

Perhaps I should have mentioned that I don't believe any combination of gun and holster is completely comfortable 100% of the time for every application. But much like having a rock get in my shoes or boots, I can tolerate it to the point it becomes a distraction. I'd rather not get distracted by an uncomfortable holster/gun and be able to keep my focus on the task at hand. Thus, like many other people here, I have a drawer full of holsters that I've tried until I could find the one that works for me for the majority of my needs. Will I switch holsters? Yep. In the summer months when I need to worry about a deeper level of concealment I will switch to an IWB. I find it a bit less comfortable over the course of a long day but it gets the job done better for that situation. And because of that I'll put up with the difference.

· Registered
414 Posts
My primary carry gun is an HK USP compact. It is never uncomfortable OWB. It is, however, sometimes unconcealable in the summer, thus necessitating something much smaller. Same as at church in a dress. There is just no way to wear the USPcompact in a thigh holster under my skirt...
And you definitely have to deal with considerations us guys do not when it comes to attire!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.