How much more substantial is the 9mm vs the .380acp for self defense?

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by arkephonic, Oct 12, 2019.

1. fredj338

fredj338

Yes, to a point. Unless you can gaurantee head shots at any reasonable attack distance, you and the tarhet moving, caliber does matter, bullets do matter. Reagan barely slowed down with a 22lr in his chest. Yep he would certainly have died but he survived for quite awhile in discomfort until the hospital. Imagine an angry, adrenaline filled attacker? He'll take that body shot or two or three & beat you to death with your own gun before he dies.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
    Teecher45 likes this.
  2. fredj338

fredj338

More punch, really? Std factory jhp in all three service calibers, pretty fricking close in ME, so where is that mythical "punch" coming from?? What matters is can you deliver solid hits with a good jhp that penetrates to vitals. If you shoot a 40 or 45, you will shoot a 9 better as measured by better hits faster. 30ft# more energy, not winning any fight.

AdamRodgers, Quigley and Teecher45 like this.

3. fredj338

fredj338

And people have taken good hits with far bigger calibers & walked away, your one incident doesnt make a 380 viable.

4. Pistolay

Pistolay Wut? Silver Member

I've been trying my best to avoid this thread because we all know where they're going, but here I am, reading all 123 posts. It's like an accident scene that you can't look away from. I'd like to file this away so I might avoid the next one, but who am I trying to kid?

FWIW, I have four carry pistols, two 9s (G26, G48) and two .380s (G42, SCCY CPX-3), and I carry all four of them. Not at the same time.

Railsplitter likes this.
  5. Railsplitter

Railsplitter

True the usual cast of characters spouting their predictable crap yet again. Not going to worry about calling them out on their BS.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
  6. glock20c10mm

glock20c10mm

22LR has killed people with 1 shot too. Doesn't make it a wise choice.

fredj338 and Railsplitter like this.
  7. Railsplitter

Railsplitter

The purpose of a CCW is SD, killing is a totally different and irrelevant outcome separate from SD. Death from being shot by a handgun most always happens minutes or hours AFTER the fight is long over.

For a SD handgun to be effective for SD it must hit hard and have an immediate effect in order to stop the aggression DURING the fight to be of any value. Think shock and energy dump.

fredj338 likes this.
  8. Deputydave

Deputydave Millennium Member

With no offense intended, and not trying to stir the pot, 'shock' and 'energy dump' are gun rag terms that are meaningless at handgun levels. We will be in disagreement on this point I'm sure, but I stand by my viewpoint. A badguy simply isn't going to the notice the difference between a round that travels 200fps faster/slower or has 100fpe +/-. They are going to notice a round that penetrates to vitals much more than any other factor.

Now when we step up the velocity from say 1200fps to 3200fps (or 500fpe go to 1500fpe or more) then we can start to have a conversation because the wounding mechanics change. But no, not in handguns. The difference in terminal ballistics is well within the margin of error. All that OSS, wound ballistic theory, hydrostatic shock theory (for handguns) was debunked decades ago. As someone that has been in surgeries and taken custody of rounds taken from bodies, as well as interviewed the surgeon (while he's taking out the round or rounds) they just can't tell the difference between a .380 and a .45 inside a body from the wound track. That's just real world. I like a .40 simply because I like a .40. I like a 9mm simply because I like a 9mm. I like a .45 simply because I like a .45. I don't carry one over the other based upon one being better than the other. They simply aren't. But terms like stopping power, knock down power, shock and energy dump are gun rag industry terms to excite the uninitiated. No offense intended.

9. shadowlands

shadowlands

Works for me. I personally shoot my G27 better than any gun I've ever owned, and that's most important for myself and my needs.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
  10. shadowlands

shadowlands

I was kidding. I'm not interested in selling my guns. They're both awesome.

11. Quigley

Quigley Elite Member

Meh... a completely bone stock Glock 27 and Glock 42. Hardly awesome but ok.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

12. Quigley

Quigley Elite Member

13. shadowlands

shadowlands

Again, to each his own! I shoot them both dead center and both are super reliable. That's what I'm after. To defend my family. And confidence knowing I have the right tool for the job. They work 100% accurately and reliably bone stock. If it aint broke, why fix it.

fredj338 likes this.
  14. shadowlands

shadowlands

That's why I shared it. But that also gives more credibility to the .380.

15. reniram

reniram

First to say one is none, two is one, three is two, four is three :)

I have actually carried three quite a few times.

16. Quigley

Quigley Elite Member

Which just means that youd shoot a 26 even better. Especially is you upgraded those aweful sights.

fredj338 likes this.
  17. Quigley

Quigley Elite Member

I never said anything against the 380, I too carry 1 from time to time because they dont make a 9mm that small. However, it does just further prove that the .40 is pointless.

18. Quigley

Quigley Elite Member

Because the sights are just begging to break.

19. shadowlands

shadowlands

Maybe so, but the fact that my follow up shots on my G27 are equal to my G42, I doubt the G26 would give me that. I don't mind the sights, for now anyway, unless they fall off or something. I shoot my G27 better than my former CZ 75B 9mm, and I can't explain it. I just do!