How much more substantial is the 9mm vs the .380acp for self defense?

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by arkephonic, Oct 12, 2019.

1. Deputydave

Deputydave Millennium Member

Very nice, did you just pick that up recently? I have the Gen 26.4 and it's a fantastic pistol. I've often said if I could have only one pistol it would be that one. So many options with magazines and I personally carry with a G19 mag and an Xgrip when I carry it. I have Trijicon HD sights on it.

Do you still have the G27? A 9mm conversion barrel and presto, you've got two G26's :)

In regards to the P365, I like the feel, size and available round capacities of 10, 12 and 15. I like the Xray sights. I carry it now off duty rather than the G26 simply because it's more comfortable to me. Didn't trust them last year but seems the recent offerings are spot on reliable and getting respectable round counts.

fredj338 likes this.
  2. SDGlock23

SDGlock23 JABRONI AUTIST

I think it's better, but at the same time the 380 is definitely lethal. My two smallest guns are a G27 Gen4 and a G42, which I recently picked up after having one and parting with it, then regretting it. The G42 shoots very well and it's small and lightweight. I don't doubt the 9mm is better, I've had several G26's (Gen4 and Gen5) and G43 and G43X, but I don't feel the 380 is a bad choice with the right ammo. If I want more than the 380 (and 9mm) I can go G27.

A lot of people really overthink ballistics. It's easy to get caught up in ballistics and energy numbers to the point of thinking that anything less than "x" isn't adequate, but they also forget the meager 380 has put a lot of bodies in the ground and will continue to do so.

There's a recent video of a shootout where a guy who was previously being treated by EMT's at a bus station goes all shooty when the police arrive on scene to question him. One of the bullets from his tiny 380 (which they didn't know he had on him while treating him) struck a firefighter who later died. That's unfortunate and I'm certainly not saying the 380 is an optimal choice, just that people overthink ballistics. Bigger is usually always better but if you're going to carry something smaller, be proficient with it.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
    CanyonMan likes this.

3. shadowlands

shadowlands

No, I sold my Glock 27 and Glock 42. Why? It's all based on the 9mm costs vs. .380 & .40. It was a great time for me to make the move thanks to my gun dealer and my ability to sale my ammo to him as well.

Deputydave likes this.
  4. Deputydave

Out of curiosity, why didn't you just get a 9mm conversion barrel for your G27?

5. shadowlands

shadowlands

I honestly wanted the G26 if I was going to go 9mm. I didn't want to fool with it. My gun dealer gave me fat cash for all of my .380 & .40 ammo making the move a good one for me. And he was fair with my trade ins, etc... I just wanted the real G26 if I moved to 9mm. I didn't even consider the G43, G48 or G43x? Why? Because I really like the G26/27 look, feel, grip, etc...

Quigley and Deputydave like this.
  6. Deputydave

Well, you can't go wrong with a new G26 :)

Enjoy it to the fullest. Keeping the standard sights or upgrading to night sights? I have Trijicon HD sights on mine, with the orange insert on the front sight. Love it! Xgrip and a G19 mag and you've got yourself a dandy 26X. That's what I do with mine.

7. shadowlands

shadowlands

I may upgrade the sights later. Right now, I need to stop spending. Ha! I added my favorite grip/back-strap. Here's a new image. Have a great day.

Glock26Gen59mm.JPG

8. Quigley

Quigley Elite Member

I think you made a good choice in the long run but I hope that you ran away with some cash at the end of that deal.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

AdamRodgers and shadowlands like this.
  9. shadowlands

shadowlands

I did. I even sold all of my .380 & .40 ammo for a nice stack of cash, and that me jump on the opportunity. I had a lot of ammo. So it all worked out real nice.

Quigley likes this.
  10. sulaco

sulaco Member since 2001, account got messed up.

I have no illusions regarding effectiveness of a 380 ACP out of a pocket pistol and have no concerns carrying it.

Is it as effective as a 9mm? Probably not. Does that mean it has no place in use? Nope.

ShaneS, Joshhtn, PeterG and 2 others like this.
  11. Scott60

Scott60

I'd say your feeling is justified and pretty much on par with how everyone else feels. The 9mm is generally a bit more than 1/3d more powerful than the .380 and this with bullets generally weighing 30+ grains more and then some. Whatever the .380 can do, the 9mm can do better. With that said, when pistols get below 20 ounces, a 9mm has a lot of snapping recoil where as a .380 is still pleasant to shoot. This does, and should matter to some people. Just as the 9mm's current popularity derives from the ability to package it into ever smaller and lighter guns, so to does the .380 and this can be seen with the Kahr P380 - <10 ounces empty, or the Ruger LCP or Kel-tec...I think they barely top 9 ounces empty. Also, pocket-size .380s really ARE pocket size. My Kahr P380 is so tiny I could wear it on a lanyard around my neck, or drop it into a shirt pocket!
    So it really comes down to how you "dress". I think pretty much everybody knows that if they leave the house expecting to get into a gun battle, to choose something larger, heavier, more powerful, and with more shots, plus spare loads. But most of use leave the house - as we have many thousands of times before, expecting nothing to happen, but choosing to carry something "just in case". So the .380 isn't going to make you feel as secure when you carry it, but it's a trade-off.
    With that said, in practical terms, the human body can't tell the difference between a hit with a bullet carrying 200 lb-ft of energy versus 330 lb-ft of energy....the ratio of DIFFERENCE between the two cartridges compared to a full-growed maniac is quite small and statistically insignificant. This is supported by the Ellifritz study.

12. ChrisD46

ChrisD46

Sean Connery (i.e. James Bond) could do ANYTHING with his Walther PP .380 (lol !)

13. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

.380? Heck even the .32 ACP (7.65mm) has a "delivery like a brick through a plate glass window".

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tU98uP7pXA8

14. TheDreadnought

TheDreadnought

The CIA swears by it!

This just makes me wonder what Beretta he was carrying.

15. Deputydave

Whatever it was it was .25 caliber.

That little Walther PPK must have had a punch. I can't ever remember him reloading it.

16. mmcbeat

mmcbeat

I think of the .380 as a marginal self defense round and the 9mm as considerably better, I wouldn’t want to take a hit from either.
    Something to ponder: I’ve seen people ask if they should use .380 ball ammunition for self defense because a hollow point might not expand. Never noticed this question regarding 9mm.

17. ShaneS

ShaneS Millennium Member

I resisted .380s until my wife and I shot a G42. We both own them. I have two.

It came down to the fact that I can and will carry a G42 all day every day but can’t a larger handgun as often in my situation. I shoot the G42 very well and it is completely reliable.

I own a couple of G43s and like them, but they are surprisingly heavier and bulkier than my G42s.

I do not feel undergunned with my G42s. I carry XTPs and use a Magguts follower/spring for 7+1.

AdamRodgers likes this.
  18. fredj338

fredj338

Its never about lethalality. The issue with 380 in jhp form is it just doesnt have enough bullet mass & vel to drive a jhp deep enough for 100% of the targets you may encounter. Not over thinking anything, just facts. I am not even a fan of most 115gr 9mm. All about the bullet. So its really solids with a 380 & most are just punching tiny holes.

19. TheDreadnought

TheDreadnought

Weren't you a huge .40 fan before?

I'm with you, I can't afford to get OUT of .40 because I have a bunch of expensive ammo for it. But that's ok. I like having options and the ability to shoot any of .22, .380, .40, or .45 in addition to 9mm. 9mm is just my primary caliber where most of the shooting will happen.

20. shadowlands

shadowlands

Yes. I was heavily vested in both .380 & .40 ammo. So I couldn't make the move to 9mm, until a buddy of my gun store friend decided to make me an offer for all of my ammo.

AdamRodgers and TheDreadnought like this.