close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How much for non-working Alienware? (Possible repair or for parts)

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by -gunut-, Jan 30, 2007.

1. -gunut-

-gunut-

Hey all!

Ok, so I purchased an Alienware 7700 laptop about a year ago and I am having an issue that when I turn it on it says no operating system found. I tested the hard drive and that is ok. Funny thing is is that when I hang the computer off my desk it works fine but if I put it all the way on the desk or put my hand a little under the fan of my video card it say "No OS found." I am thinking that this is the video card overheating? If yes, I don't have the cash to fix it so I am thinking about selling the computer for parts. What would be a good price?
    It has:
    -Intel 3.6GHz processor
    -80gig hard drive (that I will set clean)
    -2gigs of RAM
    -Main CPU heat sink
    -All other misc parts that I cannot name that would be found in such a computer. (Including a 12 in 1 card reader, mother board, fans, etc)
    -DVD/RW CD drive
    -Screen works 100%
    -External wireless card (got it for longer range)
    -like new condition battery with charging cord
    -Like new condition Alienware backpack (Sells new for $100).
    -Manuals
    -Computer case
    -Good condition outer shell.
    -I will also throw in a $40 buck cool pad that I got for it and a travel mouse.

(Video card was an NVIDIA 6800 Ultra)

I got this computer for $3500 but w/o video card would $500 be an ok price for the parts listed? I know that the motherboard alone goes for $350(used) so I would think this would be a good deal to someone. I just don't have the resources or the time.

Thanks for your help everyone!

Some pics

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

Having been trained on circuit board repair and having worked on PCs since the IBM personal computer I believe there is a crack or a solder joint that has given away on the main board near the spot you indicate.

A simple test and a small amount of time could find and possibly repair the issues.

Ebay is a good place to look for your laptop to see what the gong rate is, be honest and tell the buyers what the issues are if you decide to use ebay. Draw a line in the sand, determine your lowest bid, and offer a buy it now price to get rid of it fast.

There are other web sites that are computer focused for online reselling, I haven't used them myself. :thumbsup:

3. -gunut-

-gunut-

Do you think $500 would be a fair price?

4. grokdesigns

grokdesigns

I think $500 is too low. A year of use and no video card wouldn't knock $3000 off. Put it on eBay, let the market decide how much it's worth, I'd bet you get more than $500.

5. -gunut-

-gunut-

I might do that later

6. -gunut-

-gunut-

7. grokdesigns

grokdesigns

8. -gunut-

-gunut-

9. malkore

malkore

second link works fine for me.

be aware, even if you format the harddrive before sending it off, people can still recover your files.

so make sure anything you've stored on it you don't mind others seeing, or run a deep wiping application which will make it a lot harder for someone to retrieve your old files.

10. -gunut-

-gunut-

So the bidding ended at $820. Not bad :supergrin:

11. Rec4LMS

Rec4LMS

I just got an e-mail from Ebay stating that you relisted the computer. Do you mind if I inquire as to what happened? (Yes, I was watching because I was interested, but it's a bit too much to spend just before Valentines Day.)

12. lens

lens

Check the "-3" feedback for the winner of the original auction. Others were accusing the winner of being a Nigerian scammer.

BEWARE using eBay . . . make sure that you don't accept bids from those with high-negative ratings.