close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How much food do you waste?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Diesel_Bomber, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Diesel_Bomber

Diesel_Bomber

Had breakfast with friends here in the neighborhood this morning. We adults ate at the breakfast bar at the counter, the kids ate at the table. Their 14 year old daughter finishes her cereal(ahem, 99.9999% sugar and 0.00001% food coloring) and dumps half a bowl of milk down the sink.

Blew my mind.

Growing up, that would not have been tolerated by my parents. At all. Throwing away food = throwing away dad's hard work. Dumping half a bowl of milk down the drain could have easily earned the offender a spanking, plus a day of working for mom and dad to earn that money back. If they served us too much food, that was one thing. If, like my neighbor's daughter, we served ourselves, by golly we better clean every last bite on that plate.

I'm a bit more lax. I don't have kids. If I don't like something I am likely to throw it away, because life is short and it is MY hard work I am throwing away.

I grew up in a different world than today's kids.

2. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

If we took the portion ourselves, we didn't leave until it was finished. HH

3. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

I used to finish my plate, not be wasteful, etc.

I was raised that my plate had to be clean.

I'm not overly large, but I could stand to lose some weight. I think that engraining our children they MUST eat everything is a bad thing to do, on a psychological level.

Now, if I'd done, I'll toss it; or, better yet, just do smaller portions. If my kid is done, I ask him to finish, but if he truely won't, I don't argue.

4. Peace Warrior

Peace Warrior Am Yisrael Chai CLM

Very, very little. Think a cup or two of cooked rice a week. That's it. (And only because I cannot stand home made fried rice.)

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
  5. hamster

hamster NRA Life Member

Easy way to solve this issue in your kids and yourself.

Use smaller bowls.

6. Peace Warrior

I never ate everything on my plate until I became an adult started going to buffets.

ymmv

7. okie

okie GT Mayor

I don't waste food, that is big time wrong in my books:supergrin:

8. OGW

OGW NRA, SAF

My parents were both immigrants, Dad grew up in the U.S. during the Depression (teen years) and my mother grew up in Austria before and during WWII. Needless to say, we did not throw food away. "Take what you'll eat, and eat what you take." Still true.

9. Breadman03

Breadman03

I was raised with "Clean your plate", and still swear by it. As my activity level declined, I also learned that I should use a smaller plate. I also found that I feel just as satisfied.

10. hamster

hamster NRA Life Member

Absolutely. It sounds stupid, but is an easy psychological trick used by many to avoid overeating. It can also be used to keep kids from having eyes bigger than their stomachs.

11. AA#5

AA#5

It's also bad on a physical level as well. And using food as a reward for a good report card, good test grade, good music lesson is also stupid & starts kids on the road to obesity & related problems.

What's wrong with teaching kids to save what they don't want & eat it later? That's not wasting food.

12. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

:couch:, as a kid I wasted more than I do know, learning that wasting food can hit your pocket book.

:50cal:

13. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

I have done all that I have done and worked to build and have what I have so I dont have to to worry about such things.

If I want I have. If I dont I dont. By default I am not generally destructive, negligent or wasteful under most any conditions but if it happens, I wont lose a single breath over it. I will also not lose a single breath over those who have a problem with my minor wastes.

Our guilts can kill us as fast as our vices. We should be good stewards of our blessings and the bounty of the earth but be very careful that you do not let unnecessary guilt from outside sources(our upbringing, our culture, our friends, our family...) destroy your health and happiness. Most worry makes us very myopic and often selfish. It is in joy that most people can accomplish greater things for themselves and others.

14. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

I do hate when my old roommate saved everything and her fridge is full of tuppaware and saran wrapped stuff that takes up the whole fridge and at the end of the week tried to eat all the food and most of it went to waste anyway :brickwall:

:50cal:

15. deputy tom

deputy tom

Waste not want not. I eat everything on my plate. Children were taught the same.tom.:cool:

16. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

To combat the mental aspect of eating less, one common diet "trick" is to use a smaller plate so it's fuller with the same amount of food that would be lost on a bigger plate.

17. Altaris

Altaris

That describes me as well. I try not to waste things, but I have worked hard so that I don't have to worry about it. If I happen to waste a little bit of food, oh well, it's not going to hurt me.

18. Peace Warrior

Hey Mrs. Kitty, one the whole, your stratagems work! :supergrin:

19. michael e

michael e

I usually get a small bowl, if want more get it. It's only me and better half, we try not to waste stuff. But milk and bread sometimes get tossed if not fresh.

20. hamster

hamster NRA Life Member

In my household most food isn't wasted at the "plate."

I find we end up wasting food when we go grocery shopping hungry at the beginning of the week, then end up getting distracted by life or going out to eat and leaving food to rot in the fridge. Sometimes I'll buy a nice lettuce for example with the best of intentions at the start of the week, then I end up having to go out to entertain clients and I end up with a wilted rotten lettuce at week's end.

Drives me crazy.