How much Faith do you put in Gun Reviews?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Terry G, Jan 23, 2020.

1. Backpack Hunter

Backpack Hunter

It depends if the reviewer reaffirms my decision.

CajunBass likes this.
  2. Longbow

Longbow Millennium Member

Military Arms Channel and The Firearms Guy. I trust their reviews.

BuckeyeGlock77 likes this.

3. PolymerWonder

PolymerWonder

They can be entertaining to watch but I don’t put much stock gun reviews. I like to make a decision based on my own evaluation.

4. Diesel McBadass

Diesel McBadass Tactically Epic

Its sad but i got to say it....unless there are negative reviews or both good and bad are shown i dont trust them. Leaks about youtubers have come up showing that some of the channels who never post bad content are in fact shills.

I find forums to be better than youtube type stuff though, real users not depending on manufacturers to send them stuff.

5. Cirdan

Cirdan

I read them to understand what the gun is like, but I'd never buy based on them. Too many of the fall in love with every single gun that comes around. Remember, almost all of them loved the Remington P51 when it was shown at SHOT. That didn't turn out well.

6. Bill Keith

Bill Keith

I read and watch reviews for entertainment. I always appreciate reviews by members on this site as well as some others. Reviews are almost always in media about brand new firearms to the market. I never buy a new product just put on the market, it takes a while for word of mouth and experience of other shooters before I even consider one. Look at the stuff that has to be recalled, or just breaks, or has lousy customer service. Past several years I have enjoyed the hunt for older guns that shoot well. Here's the latest: 1891 Argentinian Mauser Larry's 1891 Mauser.png M38 Mauser.png

7. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Close to none. Back in the 80's and 90's I read every gun magazine and book I could get my hands on. Around 1994 I realized the guys writing them (a) didn't really know that much (b) just recycled the same crap over and over and (c) said whatever made the advertisers sound good.

Then I boxed up all of my gun magazines and gave them away.

Now that they are on the internet, I miss the level of expertise and honesty in those old gun magazines.

CajunBass likes this.
  8. CajunBass

CajunBass

I don't put too much stock in them. I've been around long enough that if you read one gun review, you've pretty much read the all. I watch Hickok45's U-tube for entertainment purposes.

People say they've never seen or read a bad review. Well, that doesn't surprise me...I've never had a "bad" gun. I've had some I didn't like or whatever, but they all worked like they're supposed to, so if I did reviews, I wouldn't have a bad one either.

Guitar likes this.
  9. 45caldan

45caldan

I like a couple that have been mentioned here but I really only watch or read ANY review just to get a look and some info on something new or something I'm thinking about getting.

10. wally1

wally1

I only buy guns that can survive being dragged behind a truck, cause that's real life man.

CajunBass likes this.
  11. gh1138

gh1138 Silver Member

I subscribe to and sort of enjoy reading Gun Tests. I think they're being honest in their reviews, but their methodology is mostly flawed. They assign a grade based on a sample size of one. Some guns are defective out of the box and get a pass, but other guns have a problem during testing and are graded fail. They'll give a gun a good rating when comparing it to similar guns, but a couple of months later, they'll compare the same gun to other dissimilar guns and grade it poorly because it can't match the dissimilar guns. How hard would it be to establish a numerical rating system with categories and grading criteria and stick to it, only modifying it over time? Wait a minute. Why do I pay for that?

Otherwise, I try to check here and other sites to get opinions. I'll check out YT as well, but it's usually easy to tell if the review is real or not. My favorite is when they say they received the gun from the manufacturer for testing purposes. Good grief!

SargeMO likes this.
  12. Will Beararms

Will Beararms Millennium Member

I put no faith in “ gun reviews “ from “ Gun Writers “.