Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 261 Posts

·
Constitutional Conservative
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Living in a remote area, my local gun store (LGS) is not even a gun store.

Back during the Clinton years, Bill's ATF drove all the "kitchen table" FFLs out of business and now I have just this one guy. The place is a liquor and sporting goods store that sells hunting licenses, primarily to tourists. He stocks no new guns but does take firearms on consignment.

His primary (gun) business is accepting delivery of guns bought elsewhere by customers who have to use him to transfer the firearm and create that paper trail. He charges $35 per gun to do so. I recently bought four Glock frames when GlockStore had a sale and he discounted his fee to only charge the fee for three guns, and then it was only because I asked him for some kind of discount, being a good repeat customer and all. (Whenever I ask him: "What kind of a deal can you get me on a ....?" he says, "Just buy it on line. I can't compete with those prices." I suspect he makes more money this way than if he ordered one for me.)

If I want to see an actual walk-in gun store, it's a 140-mile trip to Flagstaff. Three hundred to the Phoenix area. Suffice to say that I somewhat envy you guys that have multiple LGSs from which to choose. I have no place to go and try out or even just test the grip of various models. Most guns I buy are bought sight unseen.

Anyway, since I mostly buy on line, I have to factor in the $35 transfer fee. If he charged more, I'd probably pay it. (Don't tell him!) When one factors in the cost of travel, it's still cheaper to buy on line and pay his fee.

Just curious: how much do other FFLs charge to receive your on-line purchase and transfer a firearm?

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Austin, i get charged $25 to receive. Once I sold a gun online and they charged me $60 to send it.

Luckily around here we have active local boards where selling and buying costs nothing.

·
Registered
6,860 Posts

Back during the Clinton years, Bill's ATF drove all the "kitchen table" FFLs out of business and now I have just this one guy. The place is a liquor and sporting goods store that sells hunting licenses, primarily to tourists. He stocks no new guns but does take firearms on consignment.

His primary (gun) business is accepting delivery of guns bought elsewhere by customers who have to use him to transfer the firearm and create that paper trail. He charges $35 per gun to do so. I recently bought four Glock frames when GlockStore had a sale and he discounted his fee to only charge the fee for three guns, and then it was only because I asked him for some kind of discount, being a good repeat customer and all. (Whenever I ask him: "What kind of a deal can you get me on a ....?" he says, "Just buy it on line. I can't compete with those prices." I suspect he makes more money this way than if he ordered one for me.)

If I want to see an actual walk-in gun store, it's a 140-mile trip to Flagstaff. Three hundred to the Phoenix area. Suffice to say that I somewhat envy you guys that have multiple LGSs from which to choose. I have no place to go and try out or even just test the grip of various models. Most guns I buy are bought sight unseen.

Anyway, since I mostly buy on line, I have to factor in the $35 transfer fee. If he charged more, I'd probably pay it. (Don't tell him!) When one factors in the cost of travel, it's still cheaper to buy on line and pay his fee.

Just curious: how much do other FFLs charge to receive your on-line purchase and transfer a firearm?
Considering your location $35 isn’t highway robbery. Here in the South there’s a LGS on every corner. I frequent one that charges $10 but there are a few here that charge $35.

·
AK Fanatic
2,883 Posts
$15 for the first, $5 for each one after that on the same order, if you have a CHL, but this is TX. And that's a local place (local to my work, which makes it dangerous for my wallet), but I can find plenty of other places and individuals around here that charge $5 or $10.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Varies from $25 to $45 around here.
Now with my range membership, one of the perks is a couple of free transfers every year. After that it's $25.
Like most retail places, Brick and Mortars have a really hard time keeping up with online sellers. I don't think he's putting you on when he tells you to just buy online.

·
Registered
15,731 Posts

I feel your pain...

There is ONE FFL in my entire county and he is a sheriff's deputy that sells guns out of his basement. His house is in a town 15 miles away.

He also only charges $15 per transfer. He could charge $50 and people would pay it; no choice other than to drive 70 miles one way or 55 the other.

I live on the border of Washington and Idaho in a tiny town of 1200 in Washington. The nearest gun store is in Idaho 15 miles away. They are usually around $50 to $150 more in price than online, and I have to have the gun shipped to the one FFL in Washington.

The nearest gun store in Washington is in Clarkston, about 50 miles away, and it is just an ACE hardware store with a gun counter.

The next closest gun shops are all up in Spokane, about 70 miles away. Bunch of them up there.

·
NRA Benefactor
5,784 Posts
If you go to Gunbroker, Cabelas, or some of the other big names, they have FFL dealers setup almost everywhere. You might want to contact some of them.

·
Registered
975 Posts
We have three in my town. One guy i think wears his tinfoil hat a little tight so I don't stop there too often. The other guy is a good guy and a distinguished pistol shooter but stocks High Points, Heritage Arms, a lot of the low quality junk and his high end stuff is Ruger and Taurus. Ask about the good quality stuff and he claims to have never heard of it. Larue, Walther, Arsenal, Sig, etc is something he's never heard or or doesn't stock. He charges 10%. :eek:uttahere:I just ordered a Steyr STg77 and if I had him do the transfer, that would come to around $200 for the transfer fee. The third one we have in town mainly deals in shoe and canvas repair but also deals in sporting goods. They only charge $20 so that's the one I deal with.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I use the pawn shop in the town I drive through to go to work.
They charge $10 for transfers.

I buy from Rk guns fairly often. $9.99 shipping. No tax and a $10 transfer.
Works out pretty good if they have a sale.

·
Huge Member
11,689 Posts
My local FFL guy charges $20 for a transfer. That's fairly typical in my area, though most gun shops charge $50 or more.

·
Can't type, don't spell, what's grammar.
1,863 Posts
$25-$35 transfers around here.
Over the years a few gun shop owners have remarked that they make far more money selling bait to fishermen then they do on their gun sales.

1 - 20 of 261 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.