How much does it cost to own a dog?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by 89109, Sep 27, 2020.

1. Haldor

Haldor Formerly retired EE.

Does she clean the shotgun too?

My German Shorthaired Pointer was a natural bird dog. She couldn't not hunt.

2. JimP

JimP

Paraphrasing Mark Twain: "I've never seen a man so poor that he didn't own a dog. In fact, I've seen them so poor, they owned several."

Get a dog. It'll change your life. Big dog owner here: Have a 200# (220 in his prime) English Mastiff who is on his way out (9+ years old). Just got an English Lab pup as his companion and carry-over.

It sucks when you have to put them down, but it is the most compassionate thing you can do. Hold them, honor their life, cry like a baby when they are gone, and go get another.

I like the company of dogs way more than people. Pure, unconditional love.

Terry G, chemboy and 1eyedjack01 like this.

3. Terry G

Terry G

If I could train her to use a shotgun I wouldn't have to go at all. IMG_0211.JPG

Haldor likes this.
  4. peng

peng

Please stop posting these pictures of pheasant hunting. It's making me unbearably jealous and angry that I haven't been in years. :p

Some of my best hunting experiences were chasing roosters. Some in Michigan, but mostly in Iowa and North Dakota.

One funny story. I grew up in Michigan and my family are all farmers but it's become impossible to find a pheasant on that beautiful land in years.

So off we go to Iowa, ending up in Knoxville hunting in a place called Red Rock. I'd never shot a pheasant before mind you. So we're working a field and all of a sudden there are 20 birds in the air. You can imagine how excited I was, never having seen 20 birds in one place in my life.

But I pulled off a double on my first try.

2 hens.

The air is thick with roosters and I shoot 2 hens.

One of my more embarassing moments. We took them and cooked them up in the hotel though. Damned if I was going to let them go to the foxes.