How much does it cost to own a dog?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Aisling, Sep 27, 2020.

1. Haldor

Haldor Formerly retired EE.

Depends on how sentimental you are. My sister just spent close to $8000 getting her dogs back fixed.

The dog is only 3 years old and her husband died last year so letting go is really hard. But it is a genetic disorder that is going keep getting worse. I would not have done this.

IamtheNRA likes this.
  2. ranger1968

ranger1968

Wayyyyyy down South, shootin' stuff and Jeeping!
    However much it costs, it's worth every penny....

0119201041.jpg

1eyedjack01, chemboy and jimcorbin like this.

3. Staffordshire

Staffordshire

First year is usually higher than average for Vets because you have multiple puppy shots and rabies. In my state, you get the rabies shot again one year later and then go on a 3 year cycle. In my county, you can pay for a 3 year tag (tax) at a discounted price if your dog has been spayed or neutered. If not, you pay annually and it’s more expensive. See, there are little details and costs everywhere.

If you buy a regular dog food such as Purina Dog Chow, Pedigree, etc..., expect to pay approximately $25 for a 50lb bag. An active large breed dog will probably go through 50 lbs in about 6 weeks or so. If you buy a performance dog food such as Purina Pro Plan Performance, expect to pay around $50 for a 37.5lb bag. Other specialized formulas or limited ingredient blends may cost $60+ for a 30lb bag.

If your dog is not due for any vaccinations, and has no issues, vet bills can be as little as nothing per year. Or you may choose to go once a year for a wellness visit. If you’re pet is getting heart worm medicine from the Vet, you may have to go twice per year and have the dog tested before being able to purchase the meds. Heart worm meds are more expensive for bigger dogs. I use Ivermectin to save $ but that’s something you’ll need to Google and it’s not a recommendation, only what I do. Depending on your outdoor environment, flea and tick meds may be needed.

I had a dog that was in decline last year. No major surgeries required, just old and having issues and never able to determine what the actual problem was. Probably four vet visits, one round of bloodwork, and a script for meds that we gave until the end. Total costs probably close to $800.

Oh, by the way, just feed whatever your breeder recommends and don’t think too much about it. Save yourself a lot of time and thought and never go on an Internet message board and ask, “What is the best dog food”. That is a more loaded online question than anything to do with religion or politics. People are passionate about dog food and get into bitter arguments over ingredients, manufacturers, organic, holistic and on and on. Just don’t go there.

GlockPolock likes this.
  4. IamtheNRA

IamtheNRA

Unless you can't pay the rent/mortgage/electric or eat because you just spent your LAST whatever thousands on fixing your dog. At that point, some tough decisions have to be made. IMHO, nobody should get a dog unless they have at least 6 months take home pay in savings.

5. ranger1968

ranger1968

Yeah, but that could be said about pretty much anything.....

6. ranger1968

ranger1968

7. IamtheNRA

IamtheNRA

Yeah, but you can't euthanize your 15-year-old human child.

8. ranger1968

ranger1968

No, but you can give them up....

Again, what you said can apply to anything....

9. IamtheNRA

IamtheNRA

True, but it's a much bigger hassle getting rid of a 15-year-old kid. You don't have to go to court to get rid of your dog.

10. MurrayNevada

MurrayNevada USMC (MOS 0369) (RVN 69-70)

Trupanion pays the vet directly. You just pay a 10%-20% deductible depending on the plan you choose.

flyover, jimcorbin and IamtheNRA like this.
  11. pizza_pablo

pizza_pablo USN Retired

The measurement is in negative integers, because you receive much more, in return, than you put out.
    If you get a new, expensive pup, I recommend health insurance from TRUPANION.
    I helped, paying the $35 every month, but when our pup suffered seizures and was diagnosed with two versions of encephalitis, Necrostic, deteriorating his brain and Menglingo, deteriorating his organs, we didn't have to hesitate, deciding on treatment.
    He had MRI, spinal tap and was seen by a neurologist. The first bill was $4900. We got back about $3800.
    He's been on chemo shots for six years and has lived much longer and a decent life, than anyone would have predicted.
    He just so happens to be the best dog even we ever had, out of 9 dogs.

I can't really say how many dollars are spent, because we have 3 and I'd surely miss some expense, but a rough estimate would be between $160 & $200 / month, for a 15 pound terrier type - food, vet, insurance.
    For what you are looking at, I guess I'd double that.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
  12. Lt. Donn

Lt. Donn PSO Survivor. currently in NW Georgia

Too many variables to give the OP a good answer; 3 of our last 4 dogs were rescues, and they were the absolute best. Cost us very little in total. One of the 4 was a pure-bred Aussie from a world-class breeder, who was gifted to us...[she] was the sgl most expensive "free dog" we ever owned...we loved her, but sheesh!...I'll stick to rescues from now on!

ranger1968 likes this.
  13. John Polosky

John Polosky

My wife and I are in our early 70a. We got a rescue puppy (a man found him on the hwy in front of his house) on May 9 of this year.

On May 10 we took him to a vet and had some initial shots done and discovered he had intestinal worms.A little medicine for a few days got that cleared up,

We later started the puppy on montly heart worm medicine and that will be monthly for the rest of his life from what we understand.

One time the pup gwas not pooping and threw up a few times. Must have been something he ate in the yard or he had picked up some parasite drinking out of mud puddles ner my garden or dring out of a bird bath..,.260.00 bucks. He got better quickly after some med.

We have spent over a grand on him medically and he is actually a health happy young fella.

He is already paying his way by letting us know if someone is coming in the yard or a cat/dog is rambling along the woods out back.

Still to come is getting a Chip in him and getting him neutered. That is probably going to hut me more than him...lol!

He had been eating Purina Focus for dogs up to a year (He is guessed by a vet to be about 7 1/2 months old). But the vet suggested that we go ahead and give him adult food and we have. He eats it up most day (twice a day feedings).

There are times when he can be a pita, but the largest part of thw time he is a total joy. Kinda what my wife says about me.

Is he worth it? Yes!!!!! The cost is not horrible.

14. Aisling

Aisling Previously 89109

Lots of good info

flyover likes this.
  15. Prh555

Prh555

Do yourself a favor and go to a pound. Good chance the dog is grown, house broken and glad to see you. The cost will be cheap. I've had large dogs all my life, three at one time, and buy the cheapest dog food for them. They have lived 14 to 17 years and in good health. Yes you have yearly vet bill's but we have yearly doc bills too.

16. NoStress

NoStress

If your dog ever saves you from harm what ever you have spent will have been worth it. I am partial to German Shepherds but at my age I would not get another one. It would not be fair to the animal in my situation. Too damn cold up here for them to get much exercise in the winter. Also I know I don't have the energy I used to. A large dog just does take more work than a small dog. I have a Miniature Schnauzer that I take everywhere. He has amazing hearing and lets me know if anything is amiss. Large dogs and small dogs are kind of like guns. I carry a 1911 but perhaps when I get much older I will downsize. But I wont leave it at home and carry nothing. I used to take my Shepherd everywhere but if I owned one now I know I would leave it at home. My little dog alerts me to danger and that is all I need.

17. NoStress

NoStress

The final Vet bill and money well spent. Having to personally kill an animal you love takes a little bit out of you. Done it several times and will never do it again as long as I can get in to a veterinarian.

Haldor and chemboy like this.
  18. bdcochran

bdcochran

1. Unless you can train the dog, don't forget that none of the big dogs are worth a darn until they are trained. It costs money for training.
    My girl friend's dog was over today. Trained. The 5 dogs next door (you can own as many as four, but between the boyfriend/girlfriend, they have 5.) All totally untrained. All Huskies.
    2. don't forget the extra cleaning of the car and the furniture, the extra fencing/flea control.
    3. why a big dog? The girlfriend has a chihuahua. Barks at anyone invading your territory. Small poops to pick up on a walk. Big dog? Big poops!
    4. Call around and learn Dog walking services in Los Angeles are usually charged by time. That means a 15-minute walk will be charged differently from a 30-minute walk. Hiring dog walkers in Los Angeles costs between $15 to $20 for 20-minute walks, $20 to $30 for 30-minute walks, and $30 plus for 60-minute walks.
    5. Call locally and find out how much a pet boarding overnight costs. You are in for a shock. 60 years ago, fore example, I was paid a silver dime an hour to baby sit. Now, you are lucky if you pay only $10 an hour.
    6. Does your dog need to have its anal glands squeezed? How about trimming the toe nails? Ok, then you stick you hands up the dog's butt!

When you price it out, you are not going to be flying off to Hawaii, taking that long delayed camping trip through the southwest - unless the dog goes with you. No walking around Washington, DC, San Francisco or New Orleans.

19. Terry G

Terry G

To this I say we each have a different out look on Dogs. My Big Dog cost zero to train. Guards the home for free, guards the Grandkids for free, walks herself for free and is smart enough to poop in the woods, not in the yard. Oh and She helped me with this just yesterday. IMG_0196.JPG IMG_0206.JPG

20. handyman

handyman

I am about to find out, picking him up next weekend and I can't wait!

flyover and chemboy like this.