How much does it cost to own a dog?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Aisling, Sep 27, 2020.

1. peng

peng

Yes there is pet insurance available. Read the fine print though as always.

I use GoodRx routinely for pet meds, it really helps.

Jack Ryan, jimcorbin and flyover like this.
  2. jimcorbin

jimcorbin

That is not a stupid question at all. Yes there are various medical insurance plans that help cover costs. But I have not found any that have been worth buying. It is usually a plan that you have to pay the vet and submit the claim to the insurance company for reimbursement.

Rotn1, Jack Ryan and flyover like this.

3. Wojo88

Wojo88

When I was training labs years ago I had pet insurance. Did a lot of pheasant hunting and brought home a lot of cut dogs from briars etc. I used the insurance so much they kicked me off! Come to think of it, I loved my vet and was told I could keep my vet! What the hell??

4. Z71bill

Z71bill

Our 8 year old golden blew out her CCL - the vet said she will adjust - not worth surgery - in $ but also the pain to the dog.

She died of cancer a year later.

5. Jack Ryan

Jack Ryan NRA Life Member.

I bet that is pretty darn close.

I do a lot of the things in this thread my self and I bet I still spend that in a year on my "free" dog. I KNOW food is about a dollar a day pretty easy just because I know how long a bag of food last and I buy mine at Tractor Supply, 4 Health. Old dogs get health problems just like old people, I fill his pill minder the same day I fill my own. Getting a young dog neutered young will save you money later but I just prefer unaltered dogs, they just seem more doggish. BUT NONE OF MY DOGS EVER LIVE INSIDE MY HOUSE. They have their own house and their own job to do and I have MY house.

Old dogs get arthritis just like old people, that costs about 50 cents to a dollar a day to treat. Intact old dogs get enlarged prostate and it can kill them. I give him his Saw Palmetto every day with his arthritis drug and Glucosamine. None of that stuff is free.

IF they eat something bad and you catch them at it or know with in an hour you can do the same the vet will do, peroxide will make them vomit it up. If it is a bad mouse or the bleeder mouse poison you make the vomit if you know early and feed them vitamin B for a month after. Watch for bruising and marks on their stomach like bruises. IF you see that you'll have to go to the vet.

Then you've got to deal with fleas and ticks. ANY ONE of the tick diseases is an expensive fix and can be long term painful for the dog but preventing them is another expense, probably a dollar or two per day for the once a month oral medications.

I use my regular same dremel and a sanding drum for toe nail trimming so that is pretty much free and a good, repetative, training exercise.

6. Z71bill

Z71bill

My guess - get a puppy that lives 10-14 years will typically cost between $10 and $20K.

We had a long hair Chihuahua that lived almost 17 years - a friend of my wife bought it and then didn't want it -

When my wife was at her house the dog would follower her around - so one day the friend comes over to our house with the dog and says - take her for a few days if you don't want to keep her I will take her back.

She cost us thousands and thousands of dollars, so much that our vet stopped charging for treatments - so we paid meds only - for a while - I think we paid a years tuition for one of his kids that went to Texas A&M.

If I would have know when we got this FREE dog how much she would end up costing -

I would have still taken her -

7. Gonzoso

Gonzoso

I like rescues, if it made it to 2 years old without major problems it's probably not a lemon.

Furthermore mutts are healthier because they have less inbreeding and consequent inherited ailments.

I like a nice pitt mix.

My rescue had a busted canine, $1400 right away, then she was good for a while but th last two years were like $600 a year in extra vet bills.

At this moment in my life I have chickens and they're good pets. Low maintenance, no hair to clean up, no vet bills, and they make me eggs. I visit them outside and my son loves them.

8. Z71bill

Z71bill

Counting new carpet?

upload_2020-9-28_11-7-21.jpeg

upload_2020-9-28_11-7-44.jpeg

flyover and jimcorbin like this.
  9. jimcorbin

jimcorbin

I’m sorry she passed. I agree with your vet. Mine told us the same thing when my Lab blew hers out. She healed up fine and was back to normal within a year.

10. nursetim

nursetim

Yes there is. My neighbor has it on her 14 y/o standard poodle. Poor dog has real issues with his back legs. He’s had 2 MRIs that I know of. Insurance covered the MRIs.

flyover likes this.
  11. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

jimcorbin likes this.
  12. Z71bill

Z71bill

Grandkid spilled something - we wiped it up but the puppy could still smell something so she decided to eat it.

We needed new carpet before we got the puppy and I’m glad we decided to wait.

willie_pete likes this.
  13. pugman

pugman

6 cats. 2 dogs. At our high point we had 11 cats and 4 dogs.

It depends on what you feed them, how diligent you are on maintenance, the breed, etc.

We just trimmed all the pet nails last night. The wife is a CVT so cost is $0. If we brought them to a clinic depending on how we worked it out probably $50-100. However, my BIL's lab runs so much he never has to have them cut.

We also feed premium food. This said we lost our old man pug at 19+ and he was on Iams Green bag minichunks most of his life which you can buy at Walmart or Target for $25/40# bag. This is the minimum grade food I would buy. "Crap in a Sack" does not help dogs develop properly...trust me one of our rescued dogs went through 7 homes in 6 years. Never got it....he was awesome but at a relatively young age his arthritis was so bad we had to put him down after trying everything including chiro, acupuncture, etc.

And our animals get dentals as needed. Just like a human healthy teeth lead to healthy lives.

You also have heartworm, flea/tick if the area demands it, etc.

In our experience the biggest expense has been damage. Our first pug ripped up and ate part of a vinyl floor (yet lived to 17). A boxer of ours growing up ate a $100 roll of stamps.

One dog? I would budget $100 a month...it shouldn't cost this but a typical vet bill can easily run $300-400

14. Detectorist

Detectorist

Costs way less than a wife.

chemboy, IamtheNRA and fg17 like this.
  15. jimcorbin

jimcorbin

I have two horses. I’m into them for about $1200 a year total. I can tell you that it is cheaper to feed 3 larger dogs, and 2 horses than it is a teenage son.

IamtheNRA, ranger1968 and Jack Ryan like this.
  16. fg17

fg17

I like dogs and we’ve had a few, have one know. But I have my limits on what I can justify as far as vet bills. It’s never an easy decision.

We had a dog get cancer and I was quoted a price for treatment. My wife called me and asked what the vet said, I told her he said the dog wasn’t going to make it.

Kentucky Shooter likes this.
  17. ackvil

ackvil CLM

We have a standard poodle. She is a very small eater. The most expensive item for her is grooming every month. About $100.

chemboy likes this.
  18. Borg Warner

Borg Warner Free Full Clip!

Unless you get a wife with a good job.

IamtheNRA, 1eyedjack01 and jimcorbin like this.
  19. Staffordshire

Staffordshire

It really varies based on the owner and their lifestyle. I’ve known people who live in a rural area and have a dog that is free to roam their property. They only feed dog food when they don’t have enough left over people food and scraps to feed. And their dogs never go to the vet. If they go out of town, the neighbor comes over and feeds the dog. Cost of ownership is low.

Others live in a city. While at work, they pay someone to come and walk their dog or they take the dog to a doggie daycare. They feed the most expensive foods, pay for grooming services, and pay a pet fee as part of their apartment agreement. If they go out of town, they pay to board their dog. Cost of ownership is very high.

And there is a lot of wiggle room between these two extremes.

Jack Ryan likes this.
  20. GlockPolock

GlockPolock

We spent $8000 on our little guy last year. He is still alive and playing. That was an extreme problem. I would say average for a dog is $1200-$1500 a year. Shots, tags, food, and other necessary items. Good luck. Oh, and a MASSIVE HEART!

DROBIAZG