How much does it cost to own a dog?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Aisling, Sep 27, 2020.

1. rogn

rogn real dogs

There's the old joke about locking your wife and your dog in the trunk of your car. Which one will be happy to see you when you open the runk again?

2. jfusaro

jfusaro

Can’t put a value to it.

Attached Files:

3. jimcorbin

jimcorbin

I have a side gig training dogs. 99% of my clients have a dog that is mismatched to their lifestyle or to their finances. Don’t get me started on rescues or rescue organizations. But they keep me busy and the cash flows in.

willie_pete, treg and Rotn1 like this.
  4. Ramjet38

Ramjet38 Mentally Frozen

Knee surgery. Maybe I got the acronym wrong.

5. Rotn1

Rotn1

So much good information / commentary here.

I know this has already been said, but let me put my spin on it.

The most important thing to a dog is you.
    You give them spare time, spare food and some spare space. In return they give you their entire being.
    Love them. Do the best you can.

ETA : Of course dog breeds are incredibly varied. Choose wisely for everyone’s happiness.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
    jfusaro likes this.
  6. Hicksville Kid

Hicksville Kid

Go to Walmart, Costco or any pet store and check out the cost of food, medicine (heart worm, flea/tick etc). Use your go-zin-tas to figure out how long a bag of food will last for your size dog. Factor in treats, toys, leash/harness and other incidentals like vet bills for when he eats one of your socks or some such and boarding when you go on vacation or day care. It adds up. I have a 70 lb dog. It’s expensive. I don’t care. A dog is the best thing to keep you young and give you more love than you can imagine.

7. pgg00

pgg00

This. If all you want is a companion to hang around the house and an occasional walk there are plenty of low drive dogs needing homes as well

IamtheNRA, Rotn1 and jimcorbin like this.
  8. Jack Ryan

Jack Ryan NRA Life Member.

If you have to budget for a dog, you can't afford one. Good ones aren't cheap and cheap ones aren't good.

I highly recommend a retiree.

The dog I have now is a retired working bird dog who really only left the kennel to hunt birds for the owner and clients his entire life. Everything for this dog was hunting. I got him free just so he could "live his last few years just being a dog". He is the best dog I've ever had. I can't "own" him. I take care of him and he does the same for me. All he ever wants is to figure out what I WANT and what he can do for me.

Me duke topper 3.jpg

RWB Duke milling logs posts  1 a.jpg Campfire Duke Hotdog av.jpg

9. Mcsorleyprobert

Mcsorleyprobert

The companion outweighs the price.
    Don’t think of it as a burden of cost.

We had two of the best dogs ever, they both died years back.
    They were amazing, our yard was void of rabbits, squirrels, coyotes, any other life forms :)

English mastiff female at 170#
    And a much smaller German Shepard border collie mix with some black spots on back of her tongue, and didn’t shed. Best dog we ever owned.

Hubby was in the yard while his cousins were talking w him, they had two long haired chihuahua’s,
    Our dog was on his left, he reached out palm down to let the dogs smell him, the millisecond the chihuahua even started to snarl, our mutt pounced on this little stinker, with her paws, the screeching from the chihuahua, sounded like a screaming high pitched scared lil girl.
    It was awesome. Cousins werE freaking. J

The dogs 6th sense is amazing. They know stuff even before it happens.
    We have a designer dog now, poodle and lab mix, dumbest most worthless dog we ever had.

I tested her 3 weeks ago, went out the garage side door, wrapped a small blanket around my head, snuck in the door, and went into her view,.....she barked, and ran away and pissed on the carpet in fear.

Dumb dog.

we’re going to hit the shelter this week for another, hopefully a German Shepard mix is available.

They killed a coyote too, years back, that’s another long story.

Another issue is the hair, skin condition they had.
    Where we live, we have terrible city water. itchy, scabs, hair was oily, allergies etc etc.

Switched to much better food, and bottled water, within 6 weeks, the scabs and itching were gone, hair turned shiny, and they were very energetic.
    we started buying Walmart bottled filtered water only, they were different dogs, and we still use natural balance food. The dick van dyke food.
    Will always use good food and filtered water for my family members (dogs)

treat them well and they will reward you.

10. Rotn1

Rotn1

I have noticed the same.
    Similar to humans, you must be your dogs "advocate" and make the time / pain / quality of life decisions, from their perspective.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
  11. CladderPup

CladderPup

Vet bills can get expensive for puppies, and then again when they get older. Puppies have a tendency to injure themselves or eat poisonous/bad things that make them sick. Each visit is usually going to be a minimum amount for the appointment (like $60 iirc at our vet), plus medication and treatment. Not uncommon to spend $200-300 if there's an issue. Our dog sprained his hip when he was little and was in a lot of pain, literally couldn't walk without wincing, so he needed treatment and meds. He also had a lot of stomach problems that I don't know if we ever figured out or if he just grew out of them, but we took him to the vet many times trying to figure it out. Not too long ago, he was acting sheepish and wincing when he ran, so we took him in. Turned out he had a spider bite on one of his paws, which might have taken care of itself, but of course with the meds and the exam, it was a $350 vet visit. Then add in vaccinations, microchipping and neutering, which you do early on. It can easily add up to several thousand dollars in the first couple years. The good news is that the vet bills taper off VASTLY after that. However, a lot of dogs do get things like tumors, bad hips, internal infections, dental issues, which will hit you sooner than you expect, not necessarily when the dog is at death's doorstep.

Dog food and the normal stuff isn't that expensive, but if your dog has hair that continues to grow, like a poodle and similar breeds, it will need to be cut every 4-6 weeks or it will get out of control. A good groomer can run $75 per visit. It adds up.

Most people will enroll in a class or hire somebody to help them with dog training. That's usually not cheap. It's a lot of work for you, whether you pay for a lot of training or just a little, though. Big investment of time.

When your dog is still young, if you don't want to leave them home alone where they will just pee inside when you're at work, you might want to bring them to a dog daycare, which can run $30/day. Again, it adds up.

As some have pointed out, there are secondary costs associated with dog ownership--installing or upgrading your fence, replacing shoes that get destroyed, cleaning carpet, etc.

12. rogn

rogn real dogs

Dogs have CCLs, cranial cruciate ligaments. People have ACLs anterior cruciate ligaments. The name changes because we stand upright and dogs are on all fours. People say ACL because they dont know the difference or in most cases just get lazy. They are called cruciate ligaments because 2 ligaments cross in the dogs stifle(our knee). The forward ligament(cranial) tears in the dog and the stifle(knee) gets unstable-fermur slides back and forth over the tibia. Ouch!

Ramjet38 likes this.
  13. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

I leave it to you. Is not the one in the middle " Unlimited unlimited " ?

dogs.jpg

They all lead a dog's life.

dogslife.jpg

jfusaro and nursetim like this.
  14. Ramjet38

Ramjet38 Mentally Frozen

That sounds right now that you refreshed my memory.

15. trajan07

trajan07 dimly lit

For our husky it's kind of expensive (mostly because of our busy lifestyle)...but for food, vet bills, dog walker, and boarding it's somewhere between $3.5-$4k a year.

16. DAKA

DAKA

" A HOUSE IS NOT A HOME WITHOUT A DOG "

rogn likes this.
  17. MtnBiker

MtnBiker NRA Member Millennium Member

I used to estimate $1000 a year for a dog of average size (50 to 95 lbs.).

It seemed like when they were young, there were additional expenses like installing fences, getting them patched up after the occasional scuffle.

When they got older it was meds.

I never really added up the costs, so I can't guarantee the accuracy of the #. It's a SWAG.

18. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me Semper Paratus

I budget about 250-300 a month for the pets they are very healthy and eat good food, keeping them happy and engaged is part of the equation to keeping them happy. My 2.5 year old shepherd has been down in the dumps missing his yard partner that we had to put down, showing him extra love and attention but he's still depressed.

19. Lowcountry_Glocker

Lowcountry_Glocker

Many factors OP. large protection breeds are more expensive. Vet visits, routine checkups, etc. can wildly vary, depending on dog, location, etc.

For me, I have 2, I use Chewy.com and get their food auto shipped to my house every 6 weeks. It is $77 every 6 weeks, for 2 bags of food. That is my steady expense. Annual checkups for both ~$250. That is really it for me - I get them Comfortis (flea pill, being phased out currently) for $20/per dog, only when I notice they have a couple on them. Do not give monthly. Heartwork pills I may give 2-3x year per dog if that. They've never gotten worms. Call me a conspiracy theorist but I think montly treatments for dogs / cats etc. is a big $$$ generator and scam.

My girl has GSD. She spends considerably more on food. they eat more, and it is a higher end product. and she has more dogs than I. Hers always seem to be going to the vet for something. I have only ever taken one of my dogs to the vet - outside of annual checkups - one time, when she sprained her leg and was limping.

Do not forget cost of boarding if you travel. That is $$$. For example, every summer when I take my vacation, it is ~$300 just to board the dogs.

20. flyover

flyover

I see some really expensive costs on vet bills. A stupid question for you all. Is there medical insurance coverage available to help cover the costs?