How much does it cost to own a dog?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Aisling, Sep 27, 2020.

1. MrPizza

MrPizza

My beagle has cost me a ton but all worth it. She has two repaired back knees now and is up and at em again. $1300 per knee. Then her food is high quality stuff, runs about 75 a bag, but that's every other month.

She alerts me to anything outside the house. Even things that aren't there. Probably mosquito farts.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
    NoStress and Current Resident like this.
  2. MrPizza

MrPizza

IMG_20200926_215346_466.jpg We have a cat too. My kid named it venom, and it lives up to his name. He will let me pet him and rub his belly, but nobody else. He brings live and dead animals into the house regularly through the dog flap

And we have this guy. He is a GSD and American bulldog mix. At 7 months he is already 55 pounds. Gonna be a big boy

3. treg

treg

How much ya got?

^ Same response I give when asked how much it costs to keep a horse.

4. ThatGuyYouKnow

ThatGuyYouKnow Custom Title Goes Here

They are always glad to see you, will never lie to you, and will never cheat on you. Way better people than actual people.

NoStress, Gray Dood, Rotn1 and 3 others like this.
  5. Kalmah

Kalmah Supreme Member

Depends on the dog.

All dogs require food, beds, toys, other accessories, and basic vet care. So there are those expenses no matter what. But medical problems are the big costs.

I had one dog who was a money pit. Medical problem after problem after problem - mostly congenital issues. Over her nine year lifespan, I can't even begin to guess how many thousands of dollars I spent on her, but it was a lot. Totally worth it though. Not supposed to have favorites, but she was my favorite.

My other dog has been much more trouble free. A few minor medical problems here and there, but I've spent far less on her over the years than my other one.

Rotn1 likes this.
  6. nursetim

nursetim

Sounds like you are SOSO (**** out of spare organs) should Fido get a hangnail. :whistling:

willie_pete likes this.
  7. Kentucky fan

Kentucky fan

We have three dogs and a cat we budget $200 a month or so for them.

8. ClydeG19

ClydeG19

I spent $650 on the dog himself and probably $700 at the vet to date for a few appointments and neutering. Then there’s the usual food and treats...lots of treats for a puppy. Collars, harness, leashes, waste disposal, gates to keep him contained if need be, food/water dishes. Then there’s training.

We did get our vaccinations at Tractor Supply, so that was a bit of money saved there. Flea and tick treatments too.

9. ThatGuyYouKnow

ThatGuyYouKnow Custom Title Goes Here

FTR - purebred dogs tend to have more medical issues than mutts, but OFC that is not "set in stone" anywhere.

Rotn1 likes this.
  10. Baba Louie

Baba Louie

Tree-Fiddy?

Priceless of course!

Rescue a mutt. Maybe a jeff too. (1 big 1 little?)

Figure $60+ a month food.

Vet bills... budget $1000 annual and hope it never costs that much or more at any one time but know when & if it does you'll more than likely pay it because... they're worth every penny you own or can earn?

What return on your best bud greeting you at the door daily, tail wagging?

Damn things cost a fortune because they're worth every penny.

What value is the pain when they leave us to race ahead to await our arrival? (priceless memories that cost you plenty, gratefully paid)

What is your time worth? I do think it's worth more with a K9 friend to hang with (they invest all they got into your account and they got a lot to give)

or Tree Fiddy

Rotn1 and Current Resident like this.
  11. Hannie Caulder

Hannie Caulder Diva extraordinaire

This^^^ is a pretty good estimate. I have a dobie and a bulldog, so mine cost about double that. I also bathe, brush, clean their teeth, and give them pedicures myself. If you get a poofy dog like a pomeranian, you will also have to have him groomed by a professional (about $50).

12. aircarver

aircarver Descent Terminated Silver Member

2 dogs 55 lbs. and 100 lbs. $100 a month for food.
    $400 each vet bills a year.

So $1000 a year each.

13. Tuner Sandwich

Tuner Sandwich

Golden Doodle.

$1,500 from the breeder.

Shots, heartworm meds, flea and tick meds, couple ear infections, couple hundred a year.

Grooming, $90 every 3 months. They don't shed. It just keeps growing and growing.

Food, $50-60 a month.

Occasional medical care, say, hypothetically when she runs out the door to go play with the pit bull two doors down (inside an electric fence). $250.

Happy children: Priceless.

Current Resident likes this.
  14. Caver 60

Caver 60

The bolded part bears repeating. We've had 7 dogs during our 50 plus year marriage. Only three of them have passed of natural causes.

15. bkflyer

bkflyer

Whatever it takes

Current Resident and Maxx702 like this.
  16. Terry G

Terry G

Initial cost is usually about $100.00 for a rescue Dog. Sporting breeds, Retrievers, German Shorthairs and the like can be $1,000 and up. Mine, a Registered Black Labrador, was $1500.00. Dog Food roughly $50.00 per month, Worn and Tick medicine around $30.00 per month. Vet bills for shot's and examinations are about $200.00 maybe twice a year. Lab Puppies are Hell on Earth for the first year, crate training, another expense, is mandatory. The breeds also require exercise daily. Worth all this? Hell yes. IMG_0190.JPG

17. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday CLM

How much does it cost to own a dog?

Might cost your life, if you own a Pit.

Current Resident and Caver 60 like this.
  18. Current Resident

Current Resident

Another Winner for the day, Excellent Tag Line here.
    Here here! :cheers:

jimcorbin, Upgrayedd and Terry G like this.
  19. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

I was once that way.
    My last dog got hurt. $400 in vet bills. No question. (Ok some “he will not be in long term pain, will be able to live a normal life...”. But cost not a factor.
    Over his life. He was cheap. No vet first 8 yrs, bulk dog food, table scraps. Maybe $30 month. Including tick, parasite prevention stuff. After surgery got talked into Rabies, bunch of other shots. $$ First two yrs. many after 2nd shot the time between increases. Plus after first they notify you of “shot days”. Where you leave dog in car, truck. Call ahead, call when there. They come to car, truck, give shot, record... hear half price.
    Much yearly stuff you can buy once from vet. Then buy online for less then 50%. I told vet I am cheap. She had list of recommended stuff available OTC, name brand, and generic. Asked I log what, when I used, bring it next time dog in for script vaccinations, checkup. Said “the important thing is the dog is protected”. Some stuff is date sensitive. Tick, mosquitoe stuff isn’t needed in MN after September,

I would look at what you have. Secure shelter, run for the Dog? IMO $2000 first yr, $1000 after is Possible budget.
    Dogs I got, hope to find another next spring, $200 for dog. $200 vet stuff. $400 food, stuff. So $600 a yr should easily do it. Don’t forget your insurance. Check NOW. “Thinking of getting a dog. Any issues?” It’s likely certain breeds will have HUGE rate increases tied to them.
    Took care of a purebred pit bull for 4 days. Wife got call 11pm, neighbor in CO I never met. “My daughter arrested....gone in AM 4 days....person who takes care of dogs normally tested positive CIVID 19....kids....”
    So wife agrees we will take care of dogs. “But I don’t like the Pitt”
    First meeting I set ground rules. He picks them up QUICK. Grabbed my hand once. (Not a nip, bite, a grab. He had stitches from injury, I had to give medicine, cover...) he let go. I told him I didn’t allow that. From then on just whimpers if it hurt. I hated when she came back. IMO he needs a more strict owner.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
  20. OXMYX

OXMYX

My vet charges more than my Doctor.