close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How much do you spend on your girlfriend for her birthday?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by mr00jimbo, Aug 16, 2012.

1. mr00jimbo

mr00jimbo

For those guys in long term relationships, not like 2 months in and suddenly her birthday comes up.

I've been dating my girlfriend now over 2.5 years. We're both in our early-mid 20s (I'm a student and I work menial student jobs, she works and receives a wage on par for her age), and don't live together.

I love to go all out for her birthday, or Christmas, even if it means sacrificing that gun purchase I want. Let's be real, if I can save up to afford a Colt Series 70 1911, or two steel-framed Sig Sauers, I can swing a nice gift for her.

Around the year 1 mark I spent about 250 bucks. Same for Christmas.
    Year 2, around 200 bucks. 250 for Christmas.
    Year 3, I saw this purse she'd love for 350 plus tax/shipping so likely 400$ all in.

I know it's the thought that counts and not the pricetag, but I'm sure you guys tend to set a price you want to spend, no? I mean, unless money is tight (that's a whole new thing altogether), or you don't do gifts or something.

What I get back is a wild card. Some years it's extravagant, some years it lacks thought and planning, and it shows.
    But I don't know many people who are so enthused and eager to buy people i love great gifts. Most people tend to throw a dismal amount down and move on.
    Worth noting is she gives 0 hints. I listen for them. She likes nice things but will never come out and say what she likes. So I have to go with my imagination.

I know people who cheap out on their girlfriend then turn around and buy themselves a new gun.

So yeah, what do you tend to spend on your girlfriend's Christmas or birthday gift? Do you have a reason for that price range? Or could it be 2 grand one year, 50 bucks the next?

Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
  2. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

However much I can steal out of my wife's purse.

3. 427

As I've gotten older I've found that the best, most memorable gifts are the ones that don't require much if any money, just time, thoughtfulness and love. Gifts from the heart can't be bought are greatly appreciated and treasured - it doesn't matter who they are for.

4. tsmo1066

tsmo1066 Happy Smiley

I usually spend between 3-4K on Birthdays for my sweetie, but A) I'm 45 and a lot further along the post-collegiate, corporate career path than you are right now, and B) She's my wife.

$400 is a good chunk of change for a working college student, so the amount you're spending is solid. If you aren't sure what she would like, try one of the time-honored standards that nearly all women love. $200-300 would get a nice day spa package for her to get a pedicure, massage, facial, etc. and pamper herself for an afternoon, or you could go the 'flowers, nice dinner and a night out' route.

If you're dead-set on an item as a present, ask her girlfriends what she would like. She may not drop hints to you, but I guarantee her close friends will know what she wants!

5. AKRover

AKRover 10MM Fanatic

I'm currently not in a relationship but can answer this based off my last relationship that was 5+ years. Every year I would actually take a day off work for her birthday so we could go out of town to a restaurant we both really liked. Dinner and drinks was usually around $100. I never paid attention to how much her gifts cost but I'd say they probably averaged in the $100-150 range. Christmas was kind of in the same price range, usually $100-200. I suck at giving gifts so if she told me she wanted something or liked something I would buy it for her, within reason. If I were petty enough to total up what I spent on her over the years we were together for birthdays, Christmas and flowers it would easily top $4000. I knew where she kept the spare key to her house so I would take her roses and put them so they were the first thing she saw when she got home.

I don't really think the price tag is the important part so much as getting something meaningful.

Side note: while we were together I found a couple good deals on guns that I couldn't pass up. The girlfriend of the time knew I had a lot of debt and kind of let me know she felt buying the guns was a mistake until I convinced her they were for her. After that she was perfectly fine with the fact I bought them. lol

6. 2bgop

2bgop

I take her to Jamaica for her birthday. She loves it and it takes all the guess work out of it for me.

7. APERS

APERS

:rofl::outtahere:

8. mattleegee

mattleegee

Its all about making her feel important

9. stevelyn

stevelyn NRA Life Member

Which one?

10. 2bgop

2bgop

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

11. Creatism

Creatism

We tend to do trips for Christmas and birthdays. This yr I'll be getting her a lap top and a sewing machine. Her birthday is right after Christmas so dec is very expensive

Typed from my iPhone with my thumbs!!

12. method

method

Which ideally can be accomplished without spending money. If it can't be, something ain't right.

My girl's bday was last week. We went out to lunch and to the zoo. Less than 70 bucks for both of us. She doesn't care one bit how much money I spend on her.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2012
  13. youngdocglock

youngdocglock

Well her birthdays the 29th......and im proposing then sooooo.....$2,987.57......to be exact lol

14. hamster

hamster NRA Life Member

hhahahaha Winner winner chicken dinner! :rofl:

15. Fishawk

Fishawk Fishawk

No matter what you spend it wont be enough

16. Gregoire G

Gregoire G Silver Member

Normally around $500 but next week is her 60th so it will be considerably more. Flowers of course, and dinner out.

17. Chuck TX

Chuck TX CLM

Unless she's a gold digger. Then the thought doesn't matter so much.

18. racer11

racer11

My GF is up this month,,I bought her a pair of dinner tickets and gave them to her so she can take a friend. Hopefully she does not want me to go.

19. byf43

byf43 NRA Life Member

I haven't needed to buy 'my girlfriend' anything for the last 25 years.:supergrin:

However, let me suggest this -

It's NOT what/how much you spend that counts, it's what you SHOW your g/f and how much you care for her, that counts.

Sure, my wife loves gifts, but, if I take the initiative to get her something, and take her out to dinner, and show her that she IS special, well, then she has a good birthday.

The only problem with taking my wife out to dinner. . . . I've got 4 kids that come along, and then my son's fiancé comes along; and my son-in-law and grand-daughter come along, then my youngest daughter's b/f comes along, then my youngest son's g/f comes along.

By the time I've paid for dinner. . . . my wife and I could have gone away for the weekend!!!!!!!!

20. mgs

mgs Always Carrying Millennium Member

$400 for a Purse!!!! Take the day off and go on a short day trip and do something you both enjoy......Time is money and worth more these days.