How much do you practice with your "carry gun" or primary "home defense gun"?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by M2 Carbine, Feb 17, 2020.

1. BobCZ

BobCZ

I shoot often. The gun I carry most has never been fired☠️

-JCN- likes this.
  2. bac1023

bac1023

Hardly ever, actually.

I need to do better.

PhotoFeller likes this.

3. Kentucky fan

Kentucky fan

I shoot my ccw glock 17 every week, I try to shoot my car/woods glock 20 twice a month. My wife shoots her m&ps with me shield everyweek and m&p9 2.0 5 inch every other trip. Our home defense guns come out once a month as I have found we need alot less practice with the long guns as compared to pistols especially her shield.

4. Gray Dood

Gray Dood

I try to hit range 2 times a month.

Will always bring my G19FS for 3 to 4 mags worth, both strong and weak hand. Thats every trip.

At least every other month, that gun will be the primary one shot for an entire session, usually around 200 + rounds in a variety of drills.

5. Valmet

Valmet M62/76 Silver Member

I usually shoot a few hundred rounds per month with my EDC (Gen4 Glock 19) and 500/year or so with my nightstand gun (Gen3 Glock 21). Not a “lot” by the standards of some shooters but enough for me to stay proficient.

6. Walk Soft

Walk Soft

Not much lately. For several years I shot the G19 I carried about 8,000-10,000 rounds per year. For the last year I’ve been carrying a G48 I rarely shot after the first 800 rounds. I haven’t shot anything much this winter, but spring is coming and I plan to shoot my new P365 XL a lot. I put 400 rounds through it at an indoor range last week. I hate indoor ranges though and will be visiting the Sportsmen’s club tomorrow as I have the day off. I plan to shoot some steel with what will soon be my carry gun.

7. UncleDave

UncleDave

I try to hit the range every 2 weeks, but I'm getting more serious about carrying this P365 so I'll be trying to go once a week to get enough rounds through it to ensure it's malfunction-free. My HD gun, the G21, is one that I enjoy shooting the most, so it makes it to almost every session.

8. ReaPer105

ReaPer105

I can only imagine drawing with the off hand from the pocket would be a challenge.

9. Jan R Whitaker

Jan R Whitaker

I go to the range once a week. usually put 150 too 200 rds. Thru my carry pistols.

Green Dragoon likes this.
  10. Orive 8

Orive 8

My EDC gun is my primary home defense gun, as is my wife's. Mine is a Glock 19, her's is a Glock 26. Our guns go on in the morning and off before bedtime, then they go on our respective nightstands.

99% of our shooting is working on drills, exercises, etc... with our carry guns. For me, my carry/duty gun has also been the gun that I've competed with in different disciplines over the years - using either my duty rig or off duty/plain clothes rig.

When my wife and I started shooting in the mid 80s, we would be at the range 2-3 times each week. This later became a weekly range session. The last half dozen or so years we have maintained a minimum 2x per month practice routine (also try to include a 2x/week dry fire practice).

I'm lucky, I have a vary good and "progressive" outdoor Sportsman club range that we belong to now and a brand new state of the art indoor range that I am a member of. So lately I've been going to the range weekly, sometimes a couple of times each week.

DocPoison likes this.
  11. quantico

quantico 1911 lover Millennium Member

I try to get friends and family that carry guns or use guns for home defense to shoot at minimum 2 times a year.. 6 times yields a lot more reflex and muscle memory to shoot better..
    Most of us on the gun boards love to shoot and we shoot a lot more.. that makes for far better accuracy and ability to draw fast and hit targets.

The number of folks that buy a gun with a box of ammo... and five or tens years later still have most of the box is much higher than any of us really believe..

I check in rifles for my gun clubs deer sight in.. lots of guns unfired or cleaned for years..

-JCN- likes this.
  12. Terry G

Terry G

I carry two gun's, one for warm weather and one for cold. I shoot up three magazines of carry ammunition around the first of the month and then again on the fifteenth. Those are payday's, so it's easy to remember. In between I'm fooling with one gun or another.

Skidoo likes this.
  13. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

For home defense, I would rely on my Glock 21 and a Remington 870.
    Glocks routinely go to the range with me, but not always the G 21. I would call myself proficient with that gun (lots of rounds down range). I shoot handguns once a week.
    The Remington 870 has about 520 rounds through it. I took one tactical class with it and put 500 rounds through it in one weekend. It just sits in a gun locker.
    For shotgun practice, my wife and I will occasionally take her Remington 1100 (semi auto) to the range and shoot trap with it. I figure if I can hit a little clay bird moving rapidly away from me, I can probably hit something much larger that is moving toward me. But, that's just me. Opinions may vary.

Teecher45 likes this.
  14. Green Dragoon

Green Dragoon

About 1000 rounds a week. Maybe ....maybe I say....so don’t pressure test this, but maybe up to 200 presentations from the holster.

sorry...edit. I’m bringing that down to about 500/600 rounds per week. The holster presentations stand though.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
    jimcorbin likes this.
  15. nikerret

nikerret Mr. Awesome

I haven’t been shooting since May 2019. I found out I was sick, just after our last qualification. Since then, I’ve had to save my money and in May will lose my job and access to all the local ranges. I’m working to find a place, but that’s pretty far down my list of important things.

Ive thought about trying competition, but the closest is over 50 miles away and the money is too tight to swing that, right now. That assumes I get my health back to a functional level.

Before all this, I don’t think a six month period went by where I didn’t shoot. Usually it was my duty firearms. If I was in my regular stuff, the first shots would be cold, from concealment, with my main CCW j-frame.

16. pscyclepath

pscyclepath

I take my carry weapon to the range at least monthly, and shoot the local LEO qualification course, plus a couple of drills I picked up in the Rangemaster course. Typically 100 rounds or so. One thing I did pick up from the course was that it didn't matter as much about _how much_ you practiced, but _how recent_ your practice was when the flag flies. Me, I shoot my qualification at least monthly, plus several of the "core skills" drills to keep things freshened.

17. BigBull 301

BigBull 301

^^^^^
    This

18. IAhunter

IAhunter Venor ergo sum

Just north of the wall, Cochise County, Arizona
    At least weekly on average with my EDC G27, but I am at the range more than that shooting other guns that are mostly Glocks. I shoot my G20, 22, 43, and 19MOS regularly. I compete a little, shoot action pistol once a month with a group of other retired LEOs & Military Veterans, and I just started shooting Marine league as well. If you haven’t figured it out already, I love shooting and we have great weather for it here.

19. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

I occasionally shoot my 442 in an ICORE match for practice. Have never come in DFL even with the short barrel and 5 shot limitations.

billgun3.jpg

I also occasionally shoot a 629 in matches just to hear people say " WTF was that " after the first few rounds.

:D

.44mag.jpg

,44nag_1.jpg

:devildance:

Glolt20-91 likes this.
  20. SmokelessPowder

SmokelessPowder Consummate Reloader

I just shot my G26 in the dark at the range tonight. The night sites work great and I had no problems hitting any target I can see well enough to identify. However I don't shoot my carry gun all that often. I've never had any problems pulling it out and shooting it unless I've been doing a lot of 1911 or double action revolver shooting. Then it feels a little weird for the first shot or two.