close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How much do sights help?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by rtr, Sep 1, 2003.

1. rtr

rtr Glockaholic

I am thinking of replacing my stock sights with Bomars or Heinies, or perhaps something from Dawson. So how much difference do they really make in terms of speed of sight acquisition and therefore overall speed shooting? Mind you I'm not that great of a shooter, so I have a lot of room for improvement.

2. FESTUS

FESTUS Horse Whisperer

I ordered 2 for each model 22 from Custom Glock Racing last year....after settling down this year and starting to focus on the task I have been able to consistingly post better practice scores ..personally I feel more confident with the sight picture and acquistion...I know now that I can become a better shooter if I put in the time and focus on the task. The sight picture along with the ability to adjust the sights to my loads has been a great asset,I would add this to your to do list ....GoodLuck;f

3. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

I think you will find plain black Heinies less distracting with a better sight picture. Bo-mars offer the advantage of being adjustable, with a slightly longer sight radius. Although Dawson's are permitted, their fiber optics are not.

Either will help you shoot more accurately at the same speed. Speed improvement comes with practice.

4. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

Good advice from Danny and Festus. The only thing I would add is, if you are always going to shoot factory ammo the Heinies are great. If you are going to possibly reload I would recomment the Bomars because they are adjustable so that you can match your sights to a taylored load. I have used both and use strictly Bomars on my GSSF Glock. I have not used the Dawson sights but as Danny says remember the Fiber Optic ones are not allowed in GSSF except in Unlimited Masters Class. Also remember that the Bomars must also be the model that fits into the Dovetail and not the ones melted into the slide to be legal. You can purchase both the Heinies and Bomars from Brownells at a pretty good price.

5. G7

G7 Mostly Metric

I got my BoMars from Custom Glock Racing, because Matt specified them to have a thinner front blade (or wider back notch, I forget which). Anyway, there is more "light" between the post sides and the notch walls.

But, I digress . . . Sight acquisition time is about the same, for me, but precision is much greater with BoMars. This is due to a sharper, blacker, cleaner sight picture.

The precision increase cut my penalty time way down, particularly at 25 yards.

YMMV;j

6. TJC

TJC "No Compromise" Millennium Member

I try to never shoot without sights. They help me a lot.;f

7. triggerpresser

triggerpresser

TJC, I too try to never shoot without sights. But, sometimes the finger gets a little happy. Like today in Statesville on the Plat rack. I lost the front sight and just kept shooting until I finally found it again. Probably cost me 2.5 to 3 seconds.

As for Bo-Mars or Heinies, I use the Bo-Mars, never tried the other. I had my front blade narrowed to .110 and it really helped.

8. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

Sights---Sights---- What Sights? Darn I guess now I need 2 things before Conyers----A "Boresight" job on my "Bionic Eye" and now Sights. ;1 ;1 ;1 Have no fear though because I have both bases covered. ;? ;? ;? ~2 ~2 ~2