close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How much coin did you drop on an engagement ring?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by .357sigger, Feb 22, 2010.

1. .357sigger

.357sigger NRA Member

Most of my friends are engaged or married...I myself am also throwing the idea of popping the question around. The topic of how much each guy dropped on a ring came up last night. One of my buddies got his girl an 11,000.00 engagement ring. I was a little shocked to say the least. For all of you married or engaged guys out there I was just curious what the average was for a ring. Throw in your two cents :dunno:

2. hockeyrcks9901

hockeyrcks9901

I believe there is some general rule of thumb that says it should be 3 times your monthly salary. I didn't spend that, I spent about one month's salary.

My wife is not one to wear gaudy(sp?) jewelry and would not have wanted a diamond that was too big. I found a diamond with great clarity, cut, and color that was a decent size (3/4 of a carat) and had it set in a three stone ring with the side stones having 1/8 carat tw. She loved it and still does and does not want to change anything about it.

3. Gonetodarkside

Gonetodarkside owl protector

4. MSBullock

MSBullock

Rule of thumb is it's supposed to be about 10% of your yearly salary. So if your friend makes 100k+ a year, than that's about right. When I purchased my wifes engagement ring I was only pulling down around 30k, and I spent 3300 on her ring. She loves it.

5. ManNamedJed

ManNamedJed

$5k. At the time it was about 2 months salary. Saved for nearly a year. Had a friend in the jewelry biz who gave me a good deal though.

Like hockeyrcks9901 my wife isn't one for big gaudy jewelry, so I spent money on quality of stone and setting rather than size. She ended up with a beautiful, classy ring that she loves.

TIP - if she wants platinum, get white gold instead. It looks just as good, is more durable, and is cheaper.

6. michael88

michael88

i spent about 2500. which was way more than 3 months salary back then...ohh college life.

7. DeltaNu1142

DeltaNu1142 Glock talker

I spent $11.5k. I was also working in Dubai at the time, and with my $11.5k got a ring worth approximately three times that. The gold finish isn't up to the same quality you'll find here in the US, but the diamonds are incredible. I had it appraised when I got back to the States, and it's currently insured for $30k.

...so my advice to you is, buy a first-class ticket to Dubai. Stay in the Grosvenor House. Get a driver, so you don't get killed on Sheik Zayed Hwy. Spend a few nights at some local hangouts (Cyclone, etc.) and meet some of the nice young girls that have emigrated from Eastern Europe.

Then, if you still want to get married, head down to the Gold Souk and shop around. When it's all said & done, you will still have paid only 50% of what you would have paid had you purchased here...

Good luck to you...

8. hockeyrcks9901

hockeyrcks9901

In fact, the only jewelry my wife wears are her engagement/wedding rings and two earrings in each ear. No necklaces or bracelets, etc.

If you go with white gold, make sure you have a warranty that includes replating the rhodium. We have to have my wife's redone about once a year.

9. Lothar

Lothar Noob

i spent 5k, but it's a 1 1/2 ct. diamond - i got a great deal b/c it's got great clarity and color - my now wife worked at a jewlery store and they ladies there gave me not only employee cost, but the actual ring and setting were free.

ETA: the ring is worth 10k

10. jslatts

jslatts

Im personally not married but my brother spent $10,000

11. KDawg0007

KDawg0007

I dropped $5500 on a ring and band for my wife. The ring is worth around $10k. We did a trade in thing to make it happen. It's beautiful and she loves it. Besides, I drop that a year on firearms; why not hold off on a few guns and get her something she really will appreciate? I'll get her to post a pic when she gets home.

12. gtrcivic

gtrcivic Hokie Glocker

I dropped $8k on the princess cut (1.54c, G color, VS, good cut) diamond from Bluenile and $1800 on the 18k white gold bands. My band was $1500 18white gold. 2 rows of 6 tiny diamonds on each side of the band.

When shopping for my band, the SAs at the stores were complementing how gorgeous the diamond was that I got her. Funny to see the same 4cs diamond at these stores were $14k-$19k for pretty much similar diamond.

Cant complain when i have a $5k Rolex GMT II Coke that i got.

13. spartan985

spartan985

I dropped $2500 or so back last June. Nice ring a really nice 3/4 of a carat stone and picked the stone and setting seperatly. She loves the fact that I basically designed her ring by getting them seperate.

14. Glock&KimberLady

Glock&KimberLady Morior Invictus Silver Member

LOL I would kick hubby's *** if he spent $11,000 on a ring for me.

That's another dirtbike, another snowboard setup, and a few AR-15s!

15. malakas

malakas Lifetime Member

Someone clone her!

16. cranejc

cranejc

$2,200 a couple years ago, again, college life. but, she loves it, and it currently appraises for twice what i paid.

17. Diesel_Bomber

Diesel_Bomber

About $200. My wife picked out her own ring, a plain titanium band. It's exactly the same as mine, just smaller. We could very easily have afforded much more lavish rings, but my wife shares my opinion on gaudy things. I don't wear mine often, the nature of my work makes it unwise to wear things that can rip off body parts or conduct electricity.

18. Jackalo626

Jackalo626

My and my gf are frugal about things like that and she would die if I spent more than $1500 on her ring. She would have the outlook on the situation like "do you know what I could have done with $10,000!!!?" LOL. Depends on your woman honestly.

19. Diesel_Bomber

Diesel_Bomber

I think you and my wife would get along very well. Your husband's a lucky man!

20. Psychman

Psychman NRA Patriot Life Member

32 k. "Diamonds are a girls best friend"