close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How much are S&W semi worth these day?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by oldnoob, Mar 12, 2010.

1. oldnoob

oldnoob

I caught a smith bug this time and want their 1st or 2nd generation single stack semi 9mm. But I have a hard time finding a fair market value for them. It seems, 39 has high collective value, but not if it's 39 with "-" (because they aren't steel?). And how about 439 or 539?

2. oldnoob

oldnoob

3. bac1023

bac1023

I'm not sure the 39 has much collector's value. They're great pistols, but common.

Most 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gen Smiths sell anywhere from $300-$500, depending on condition.

4. hogship

hogship Patriot Extraordinaire

oldnoob.......although my 639 isn't on your list, it's similar. I've had mine for 3-4yrs now, and it was in the upper 90's condition......shot very little.

I paid $400 for mine, and I believe you could probably get one like it for close to the same.

hog

[​IMG]

5. failsafe

failsafe

If you are looking for a single stacker S&W 9mm, you might look at the model 908..I have one, great shooter, this coming from a model 39 owner, or should I say former 39 owner ?
    The 908 bbl is roughly 1/2" shorter..If you can find a Lady Smith 908, jump on it,,,This one is not..
    [​IMG]

6. mlk18

mlk18

There is no 908 Ladysmith, only a 3913LS and 3914LS. The 908 is a 3rd Gen value model.

The 39 steel frame guns are worth a lot, the alloy framed versions are more common and worth less. Depending on condition and accessories, any of the standard 39/39-2/439/539/639 series would be worth approx. $325-450. At the same time I watched a shooter grade (needed refinishing badly) 539 sell on AA last week for $225. So it's really just a matter of looking around for a good deal.

7. oldnoob

oldnoob

Thanks bac, 39 is on my top search list as now, I'll keep my eyes out.

8. oldnoob

oldnoob

Thanks, I'm usually not a shining pistol person but your 639 looks great.

9. oldnoob

oldnoob

Is that a DA only?

10. hoffy

hoffy

It is late and I am about to go to bed, so without looking it up, the very first 39s were steel, but very few if I recall. I have a 39-2 bought new in the late '70s, aluminum frame. Mine has had only had about 1000 rounds through it, it looks very nice, but there is not much interest by what I saw them going for at the last gun show I went(that has been about two years due to family illness and injury) . I worked at a gun shop back in the '80s-'90s, and Smith did for a while offer such guns in steel frames with a 5 prefix-539. Their nomenclature is as confusing as Harley Davidson and their letters. Any way, the guy I worked for had a connection at Smith and we got a few 539s and 559s, but a very few. By far the most interesting one came from Smiths safe by way of our factory rep. Our shop had a reputation for being able to move rare quirky stuff. It was a nickel 559 with full coverage class A engraving-sweet, I worked there for 6 years,and we had that gun for 4, and it was there when I left. It had a traveling companion, a 669, aluminum/stainless-now I am forgetting my nomenclature, it was aluminum frame, with a stainless slide, same engraving, but it was just not as sharp. The Mod 39s were made to a much higher finish than the 904s. They had to keep the price down. At their height, the 659s, 645s, 4506s etc. were well over 600$. And they had well over 100 parts, so many springs and detents. I had to detail strip one once as the owner soaked it in something stupid(it was made for guns!) and left it in there. What a mess. I have seen very many guns damaged by their owners, nothing like a basket case on a saturday morning. I wander, I have seen beat 39-2s go for less than 200, but it has been awhile. the last pristine one I saw was around 450, a little much, as I saw it at a few gunshows. Like I said this has been a couple of years ago. You might get an idea on auction arms, but last time I looked people were nuts with prices, got hurt pretty bad last year, and don't surf net much, odd, one would think I would.............

11. failsafe

failsafe

Come to think of it, there was a 908 S version available, since there had been a 3913 LS, the 908 S was refered to as the Lady Smith (slang),Only basic difference is the satin finish....
    Yes it is DAO as it has the bobbed hammer, but the hammer can be replaced with thumbed one..

Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
  12. sigpro357

sigpro357

You can buy alot of them in the 300-500 dollar range, in great condition. My love started with model 39 i bought at Gander Mountain for 212 dollars. Be forwarned about what you are doing they. They grow. I went on to buy an M&P, 638, 19, K38, and then the passion started with the autos 4506,4040PD,4006,6904 and on and on. The prices are good. The auto loaders are built like tanks. Reliable is an understatment. And when you halve one you will know that there is little else that compares.

The good news is that alot of people turn their nose up to them. That makes the prices low, but don't let em know. Cheaper guns for us select few.