close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How much ammo?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by access1, Feb 8, 2010.

1. access1

access1

How much self-defense ammo do you buy vs. cheaper range practice rounds? Just enough to keep in a few magazines for carry and keeping in the house & car?

I'm assuming most have larger supplies of range ammo than self defense ammo due to the cost? So when you're building up your SHTF supply, what are you buying?

thanks!

2. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

I've got a Dillon 650. I think I've got 4-5 thousand rounds around here somewhere.

Few hundred factory from when I picked up a case of Federal defense ammo.

Thanks for reminding me, I need to pick up some more of the factory stuff for .40.

3. MaximaDrvr

MaximaDrvr

I shoot one box of SD ammo per year per gun. (semi autos)
    So, 4-8k of FMJ, 50 JHP.

4. vmann

vmann Controller

right now i have 500 rounds of practice ammo in my closet, and just 23 sd rounds....thats enough for me, the 23 rounds of sd ammo is enough to keep a 13 round mag and a 10 round mag loaded up...plus, i would use the practice ammo if the zombies were doing a home invasion...

5. JD HHI 6092

JD HHI 6092

I've been buying 1000 rounds a month online. I work in the sandbox so when I get back in 6 months I should have a few rounds for a great weekend of shooting.

6. access1

access1

Thank you for your service and be safe.

7. gunslinger3

gunslinger3 Μολὼν λαβέ

Ditto!:yourock:

8. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Many times more FMJ than JHP. I do not reload. I have less than 1k rounds of premium JHP in my primary pistol caliber, actually.

9. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

I usually have around 4-500 of my reloads for practice. I probably have enough components on hand to reload a lot more than that.

Carry Ammo.. I try to keep about 100rds per caliber. My main carry gun, Glock 23, I have Speer Gold Dot. The others, which don't see a holster to often, I've got a few Gold Dots for them, but most of them are stoked w/ the Winchester USA JHPs.

IGF

10. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

shoot what you carry, carry what you shoot. I DO own some bulk .22 LR that's suitable for kids plinking at cans.

If you don't know which round you're going to be depending on to protect your life, buy the kind where you trust them all.

If you're counting on anything but 'first on target'.. uh, I don't belong to that church. The idea that super ammo will improve your odds in a gunfight, compared to the same money spent on generic ammo and extra training, is hard to prove and nobody has managed convincing me yet. The ammo rule I have is 'shoot a lot'.

Break that one and the others stop counting much.

I stumbled over 1700 rounds of .38 the other day that'd gotten misplaced. Guess how many of 'em were the same?