close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How Many Women Would Be Alive Today if they had a KNIFE??

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Nalapombu, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Nalapombu

Nalapombu Millennium Member

Hey all,

It seems like every day I turn on the TV or am reading the headlines and see where another young, beautiful woman is missing only to turn up dead later on. I am not talking about the husband wife crimes, but the random type abduction/rape and eventual murder. It is happening all the time.

The one that really got me thinking about this was the little girl at Yale or maybe it was Harvard. She was a med student and was getting married on the weekend and she is suddenly gone. Of course we find out that some Scumbag creep got her and strangled her to death in the building where they worked.

I thought if only she had a weapon she would be alive today. Since she was on a campus she wouldn't have been able to carry concealed so a knife would be her logical choice.

Now I am all in favor of women who work, keep odd hours or are out and about frequently, get the training and obtain their CCW license. But lets face it, many women are averse to guns and don't want anything to do with them. That's just a fact. Besides to do any good they would have to have it accessible at ALL TIMES and I don't think that many women would be willing to go to that extent. So the next logical choice is a knife.

Think about it. If a lot of these women that we have seen go missing and end up murdered would've had a knife in their pocket or around their neck, they would've had a darn good chance of surviving the attack. It would at minimum given them a chance to get away should they inflict a serious wound to an artery or the face.

My sister has just started a job at a local hospital with odd hours and she doesn't have her CCW permit. That is going to be taken care of as soon as she gets ready. In the meantime I am going to get her a nice knife with a belt clip like a Leek to carry with her at ALL TIMES she is away from her home. I am also thinking about one of those neck knives with the chain and a sheath than can be attached to your belt or side. I haven't made up my mind. I think I am going to take her to look at some and see what she likes and is comfy with.

I'd like to hear what you all think of my theory on women and knives. I'd also like to hear your recommendations on possible carry knives I should be checking out for my sister. So far I am thinking of a Kershaw Leek, Scallion or one of the CRKT Dragon fixed neck knife.

Thoughts?

Thanks for the time.

Nalajr

2. security79

security79 Gene Frenkle

A well concealed knife or some good OC spray probably could have saved alot of lives over the years.

3. 23skidoo

23skidoo Deceased

The brand of knife carried won't be as important as the training they recieve in it's use. Something modeled on what Miami did when Ted Bundy was running loose. Police officers instructed women in the use of firearms. Have their instructors do something similar with a knife or a kubaton would work wonders for some of the predators walking the streets.

4. alphacat

alphacat account deleted

Pepper spray might be best. I think a woman would spray a person long before they would stab someone. Spray and Run, Live to fight another day, right?
    This spray is supposed to be good.
    http://www.foxlabs.com/

Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
  5. Ol Timer

Ol Timer ↓ hog hunter ↓ Millennium Member

Yes. Not to mention a stab isn't going stop an attack. Serious bloodletting will need to take place before that happens. How many women have the stomach if not the strength for that. I doubt most people, women and men, could get a folder deployed during a surprise attack.

Pepper spray in hand along with SA.

6. Domestic615

Domestic615 OD G19

I think the question is how many MEN are alive today because women DONT have knives lol.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
  7. Glock-it-to-me

Glock-it-to-me Catching liars

Speaking from personal experience, a knife fight is a very up close, traumatic, and personal ordeal. It's not like the movies where the BG gets stabbed and it's all over. It's more like Michael Myers, because he comes back for more.

8. jhmayhem

jhmayhem

It's a good idea in theory, but the reality is that most people, and this includes men and women, just don't like the thought of using a knife on somebody and therefore are unwilling to carry one. You need a specific kind of mindset to be able to use one in general and like any other weapon, it does require a level of skill in order to wield one effectively too.

When it comes to pepper spary though, I don't see why any woman young or old would not carry one. Most sprays are small enough to be carried just about anywhere.

9. Chad Landry

Chad Landry Cajunator® CLM

Not much different from slaughtering a cow. The screaming can get kinda weird.

10. Ol Timer

Before you buy her a knife, have her read this.

[​IMG]

11. jp3975

jp3975

How many women that you know slaughter cattle?:rofl:

Foxlabs is the way to go. Maybe a taser if she's willing to carry it.

12. Chad Landry

Chad Landry Cajunator® CLM

A few.

13. Nalapombu

Nalapombu Millennium Member

I think a can of pepper spray would be darn near useless. And NO I have not been shot with it, so I don't know how it feels.
    Take a minute and look at your wife or girlfriends purse and see what all is in there. You give your girl a can of pepper spray and preach to them how IMPORTANT it is for them to carry it and inside of a week it'll be foundering in the bottom of her purse along with a myriad of other trinkets and baubles making it nearly impossible for her to get it in a surprise attack.

Take the girl in the lab at Yale that was killed, how would pepper spray have saved her? A determined man with 2 or 3X the strength of a woman that is bent on raping or harming a woman is NOT gonna be stopped by a can of pepper spray. I just don't see it. A well concealed knife like a Kershaw Leek in their pocket is much more likely to save their life. I'd be willing to bet that if you ask women whether or not they would care to get blood on them if their life was in danger, I'd say not many of them would care. Nor would they care about the screaming or the possible need to repeatedly stab their attacker. If it meant them living or dying I'd bet just about ANY woman would gladly slaughter a cow....a pig....or any other thing they had to.

Nalajr

14. whoflungdo

whoflungdo

I thought you were gone or had taken a hiatus. Glad to see you back posting....

Now we return you to your regularly scheduled programming..

15. mesteve2

mesteve2

Pistol is #1

Knife is #2

Forget the pepper spray! Most of the time not going to get the job down!

16. oly884

oly884

Really? You say you haven't been sprayed with OC spray before. Perhaps before you go suggesting that a concealed knife would be more likely to save a life, I suggest you spray yourself first. You may feel it would be more effective, but OC spray can allow for distance from the attacker thus easier retreat where as a knife requires you to be in very close proximity to the attacker.

You bring up a good point about the spray and the purse, but the same can be said for a knife, gun, or any other object. The key is training and quick access.

17. oly884

oly884

How many of you advocating a knife over OC spray have been in a knife fight where your life depended on it before? And those that have, how many of you have been sprayed with OC?

18. Ol Timer

I bet a woman would feel more comfortable, and therefore more likely, to carry pepper spray IN HAND to and from their car than a fixed blade knife or open folder. A "well concealed knife" will be just that during a surprise attack (please excuse the redundancy of those last two words).

19. oly884

oly884

Great point.

How many women out there would be willing to go through the training necessary to use a knife effectively for self defense vs OC spray, taser, or a gun?

20. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Given the amount of physical ability and strength using a knife or kubotan requires (for anybody except those of you who are ninjas, of course) just letting them carry a gun would make more sense. Nobody has yet invented a non-firearm weapon that is reliable for self defense by smaller and weaker people.