close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How many wild boar hunters here?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Sixgun_Symphony, Oct 14, 2003.

1. Sixgun_Symphony

Sixgun_Symphony NRA4EVR

What do you use? Modern rifle? Muzzle Loading Rifle/Musket? Shotgun? Pistol? Archery? Spear? Knife?

Any houndsmen here? What breed do you prefer? pitbulls?

2. noway

noway

Will I;m a wild boar hunter.

I've shot plenty of Hogs (domestic and wild ) using eveyrthing from a SW64 to a SW629. Main weapon of choice nowadays is the 10mm glock.

3. Bruz

Bruz

How many wild boar hunters here

Well, don't know how wild I am but I do like huntin hoggs! Use a Win .308. Bought a bow, spear and knife but have have not grown the huevos yet for the later pair. ;Q

4. Guest

ME! I love hunting hogs! I hunt them all the time in Columbus Texas. Its a lot of fun.
    Dogs, I like Pitbulls. The big ones. They are really sweet nice dogs, until they scent a hog, then thier about ready to kill anything that gets in the way. And they dont let go! Man those things are tenacious!
    Weaponry, .45-70 Marlin lever gun, a Remington 870, several different handguns, (all in .44 Mag) and once with a Kimber 1911 .45 ACP. I have hunted with a spear, and attempted to with a knife, but I lost all bravery when the dogs decided to pin a huge boar that weighed in at over 500 pounds. I just couldnt muster up enough balls to walk up and stick something that big with a little knife. No thanks.

5. Fox

Fox Varmit Control

I bought a nice used Marlin 336 chambered in .35 Rem for wild boar after I read an article in Fishing & Hunting News about a population of wild boar just up north of Aberdeen, Wa. I have yet to get up there, but I look forward to it.

6. spongeman66

spongeman66

My pig hunting setup is 11+1 shots of 458 SOCOM backed by 16+1 shots of G20 with a 6" Barsto...Both have flashlights attached.

My hunting buddy took one out while it was running with a Sig P220 in 45ACP using Hydrashocks. The shot was at about 35-40 yards, right through the heart! That pig was about 200 lbs... 45ACP happened to work for my friend, but most pig hunters won't recommend anything less than 10mm... Actually, most won't recommend anything less than 44Mag...

7. KB4IFS

KB4IFS MOLON LABE

Never hunted much but I picked up a Savage 308 for deer hunting. Haven't got out yet. I live in SC and it has alot of hogs. So if I don't get out I will try a hunting lodge like Bostick Plantation, reasonable rates, season is all year long. Anyway, I like pork. There's a magizine called Boar Hunter out there that is very interesting. Pigs and dogs. Bruce

8. Dan

Dan

I always wanted to try it but never had the time to do. Im going to look into a little more I think this year. PLUS I hear they are real good eating!!!

9. TedG

TedG Infidel USA

I hunt Russian Boar in the Kissimee River area of Lake Wales, Florida. Some are real mean and some are just big.

I use a Mag-na-Ported Classic Hunter (unflutted cylinder) Mod.29 with my own handloads.... Hot 240 grain fully jacketed silloette rounds. Real deep penetration.

10. Dan

Dan

I have a question for this room of boar hunters, I see boar hunting on TV once in a while. Every time I watched the hunters they are using dogs? is this normal boar hunting or can you hunt them the "sit and wait" method?

11. TedG

TedG Infidel USA

I've always used dogs due to the extremely thick vegetation.

There are places where the hogs will root and they leave some pretty good signs. I guess you could sit up in tree and wait, but there's something about chasing dogs and pigs through the puckerbrush and mud that makes the day special.

Nothing like hearing those dogs when they're on a big one.

12. noway

noway

Just like TedG, the thrill of chasing down a pack of hogs with dogs, is the norm here in my area for most guide services.

Still or stalking hunting requires patience and luck and is not always productive in the terrain that covers my area.

13. spongeman66

spongeman66

I don't have any dogs, so sit and wait is the norm. It is hit-and-miss as the hogs are less predictable than deer.

We have a deer feeder set up that has tremendous hog sign around it. Another thing that works well is a PVC pipe filled with corn that the Hogs can roll around.

14. ralph gonzalez

ralph gonzalez

My favorite hog gun is a SS Ruger Mini-14 with the heavier 65 grain bullets. Fast handling and hi capacity. In Georgia where I hunt you can use the .223 caliber and there is no limit on your magazine capacity. I've killed my share with that set up even though a lot of folks consider the .223 to small.