GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The CDC estimates the actual covid infection rate is 8x higher than what is caught by testing. That means about 32% of the country has already been infected. Thats nearly halfway to the 70% herd immunity estimated to stop the spread. I wonder if they will focus on vaccinating people who haven't already tested positive.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
It's not been established by the data that the first infection causes long-term/permanent immunity against future infections so likely vaccine will be recommended for all eligible candidates.

·
Registered
7,833 Posts
With the x8 FL is at 8 million of our 22 million. I am sure vaccine roll out for us will be long term facilities and medical staff. 40% of our deaths are from LTC facilities where they probably represent 1% of the population so at least death wise hammering those we have left in LTC with the vaccine should be top priority.

My wife works in a hospital with Drs but she is not medical so not clear yet if she will be in the early batch or not.

·
Registered
8,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's not been established by the data that the first infection causes long-term/permanent immunity against future infections so likely vaccine will be recommended for all eligible candidates.
Even if someone doesn't have permanent immunity, wouldn't the body be able to fight the infection much easier the 2nd time around? That's what happened with the Spanish flu. Once everyone got it, it was no longer nearly as deadly as before. In fact, the spanish flu still circulates today.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
Not a single one. We need masks and economic doom. That’s the only thing that will actually work. Don’t you guys know anything.

My bet is on annual doses like the flu. More money to be made that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
Even if someone doesn't have permanent immunity, wouldn't the body be able to fight the infection much easier the 2nd time around? That's what happened with the Spanish flu. Once everyone got it, it was no longer nearly as deadly as before. In fact, the spanish flu still circulates today.
T cell memory should play a role in this. Some people have been reinfected, although this is rare.

·
Registered
21,054 Posts
The CDC estimates the actual covid infection rate is 8x higher than what is caught by testing. That means about 32% of the country has already been infected. Thats nearly halfway to the 70% herd immunity estimated to stop the spread. I wonder if they will focus on vaccinating people who haven't already tested positive.
Estimates are not fact. Everyone who is not likely to develop a life threatening allergic reaction and has not tested positive for Covid should be vaccinated. That still will not guarantee herd immunity but it would be the best hope. Unfortunately, so far the vaccine distribution has been a total cluster f***. Hope the Fed’s, states, and local health departments get their acts together.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I very much doubt that the actual infection rate has been anything close to 8 fold the number of reported cases, at least not where I live. My county has maintained a pretty comprehensive dashboard of reported cases, deaths, and unique individuals tested. The county population is roughly 181,500 and there have been 16,258 reported cases and 204 deaths. The case fatality rate is currently just over 1.25% and it has been parked at around that level all fall and so far this winter. It has not dropped at all.

Now the dashboard claims that 81,611 unique individuals have been tested at one time or another since this Spring to date. If so, that constitutes just under 45% of the county population. Of course it is possible that some individuals who tested negative actually had the virus at some other point in time. But eight times the number of reported cases would total just over 130,000 and would mean that over 71% of my county's population have actually had the virus. Which is clearly preposterous.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts