close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How many still using mineral engine oil

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Retseh, Apr 4, 2010.

1. Retseh

Retseh

We've been running full synthetic in both our vehicles for years now, and was chatting with the tech at the shop about how many want regular dino oil versus something like Amsoil and Mobil1, he said in that shop it was now about 50/50, mostly because of the price difference.

We purchased both our cars new, and I switched both over on their very first oil change - 60,000 miles later and they have yet to burn a drop of synthetic - so much for the old wives tale about needing to bed an engine in on mineral oil before switching.

So how many GT'ers choose mineral, versus semi-synth, versus full synth oils?

Pity we can't post a poll.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
  2. Annoyedgrunt

Annoyedgrunt Dry Heat my ASS

Regular oil on both of my cars. The techs tell me that synthetic oils last longer, but that isn't much of an issue if you change it out regularly, which I do (every 3,000 miles.)

3. eaglesfan55

eaglesfan55 (>'-')>

the only difference between similar viscosity mineral/blended/synthetic oils is their life time. the more man made it is the less likely it is to burn over time/use. as long as you change the oil at regular intervals with the manufacturer recommended weight the motor should last a very long time.

4. hatidua

hatidua

Regular oil since new in my current Jeep with 183K miles on it. Only issue so far is replacing the windshield wiper blades annually and the battery once.

5. Tailhunter

Tailhunter Glockman

Amsoil in everything I own. Longer drain intervals saves money.

6. hpracing007

hpracing007

Nothing but regular oil in my Acura since I've gotten it. Before I got it, it got regular oil as well since it was a loaner car for the dealership.

Doesn't burn any oil at 123k miles. I've always done 5k miles oil change intervals.

7. G36's Rule

G36's Rule Senior Member

I've always used standard motor oil and probably always will. With 250,000 on the Tahoe and 200,000 on the Dodge I don't really see the advantage of synthetic.

8. redbaron007

redbaron007 Some Dude Lifetime Member

Mobil One synthetic oil and filter. Change the oil and filter every 10-12k miles.

Have had the oil analyzed a couple of times; usually after the longest interval which has been 14k & 15k miles, no elevated levels or particulates.

9. MetalSlugIV

MetalSlugIV

The dealer put some sort of synthetic blend in my car but I can't recall off the top of my head what the brand is. The car is due for an oil change so I will probably put full synthetic in it since full synthetic is better for cold weather starting.

10. 2afreedom

2afreedom

I don't put a lot of mileage on my vehicles so I use good old Havoline dino juice. If I went 10,000 miles between changes like some synthetic users I would use the same oil for two and a half years in my truck since it only gets 3000-4000 miles per year on it. I'm just not comfortable leaving oil in that long. I guess synthetic would be good if you run up a lot of miles or live in Alaska and have a lot of below zero startups. You can read all about oils and other automotive topics at:

www.bobistheoilguy.com

11. crazymoose

crazymoose Nonentity

Synthetic really shines in very cold weather, in hard-use driving, or if you want to be able to go longer between oil changes in a vehicle that sees primarily normal driving conditions.

12. zoyter2

zoyter2 Yeah, so what?

Drive in normal conditions and change oil/filter regularly and you are wasting money on synthetic.

Hard use or unusual conditions may warrant it's use, but not for me.

13. wct097

wct097

Been running Mobil 1 with Mobil 1 filters in my Jeep since I bought it with ~30k miles. At 230k, it still doesn't lose any oil between changes. I go 7500 miles between changes. My boat gets Amsoil once a year. My motorcycle gets standard oil and I change it every other rear tire (3k miles) or so.

14. Lee-online

Lee-online Mul-ti-pass

I have been using Motorcraft 5w20 syn blend changing every 4-5K miles. 130k and no issues. This is a quality oil and only costs $11.50 for a 5 quart jug.

In my motorcycle i use amsoil. The syn really smooths out the transmission.

15. Ol Timer

Ol Timer ↓ hog hunter ↓ Millennium Member

At less than a buck a quart difference these days when buying a five quart jug, I use full synthetic. When oil was 75 cents a quart and Mobil One was $4, not a chance in Hell!

16. Clem Eastwood

Clem Eastwood

i used to use castrol gtx and a wix filter and change it every 5k. i now use a synth blend because its cheaper. i know when i talked to redline about using their synthetic in my ls1 they recommended no further than 7500 mile oil changes without analysis and filter changes at half that. i ended up doing filters every 3500 and 7K oil/filter changes. and thats a real synthetic, including the base stock.

since i do 5k oil and filter on the beaters i see no reason to use synthetic. one reason i dont want to do extended oil change intervals is because i dont always get my oil up to operating temp, so all the combustion acids and other crap dont always burn off. i dont like leaving acidic oil in the crankcase for long periods of time for it to etch the copper in the bearings.

in my old mustang i use redline and change it and the wix filter every 4k. its not a cheap engine.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
  17. Glock-it-to-me

Glock-it-to-me Catching liars

Depends on the engine in question.

18. Smoker

Smoker

There's people around here with the diesel trucks that run the dual filters & change them regularly & never change the oil. There are some that have run almost 500,000 miles with no problem.

19. itisbruno

itisbruno Devious Member CLM

I didn't know ther were that close in price now.

Valvoline regular old oil, change every 6,000 miles, 206,000 miles on my honda civic.

20. Officer's Match

Officer's Match S.R.D. v

I use full synthetic in my turbocharged cars due to the extremes a oil lubed/cooled turbocharged imparts on oil.

For naturally aspirateds, I use either semi or full synthetic. Why? Try to wash that stuff off your hands. I believe it clings to surfaces much better than conventional oil, and there's no doubt about synthetic's higher temp superiority.