Home > Serving America > Cop Talk > How many still use revolvers for primary sidearm?

How many still use revolvers for primary sidearm?

1. Question prompted by the thread about approved revolvers for Chicago:

When I was a Reserve Deputy, 1975-1984ish, I was the only LEO in our mostly rural county that used an auto loader for duty. Towards the end of that time, a few city and county officers began to get acquainted with the 1911, one or two actually made the switch from revolvers.

Now, I am again a Reserve Deputy and very few officers, city or county, even know how to shoot/load a revolver....

Do any of you know of any agency that still uses/issues revolvers?

2. None that I have seen in the last 15 years. Even our oldest retirees are switching. At our last LEOSA qual, I ran the course of fire designed around compact revolvers with reloads every five rounds. Out of 33 people who shot, I think three had revolvers.

3. There are still some out there

[​IMG]

4. Until a couple of years ago, our "facilities security" officers (guard state facilities) used S&W 686's and our corrections officers used Ruger GP 100's. I believe everybody has switched to Glock now.

5. Haven't seen one in quite a while. Maybe a few admin types still carrying one when the are in uniform, but I don't know of any agencies still issuing one for patrol use. Maybe some corrections agencies still using them.

6. Thankfully haven't seen one in uniform in well over a decade.

7. I am carrying a S&W 627 Pro 4 inch 8 shot 357. If I switched to an auto loader, it would be a 1911 so I would only be gaining one round. I would carry 10 round magazines for reloads so that would give me two extra rounds after a reload. We do have a new administration that may or may not specify auto loaders in the near future. One big advantage of the 1911 platform over the revolver is the availability of duty gear. There is less and less duty gear offered for the revolver every year. Another advantage to the auto loader is you can reload without having to look down at the gun. Easier to reload one handed also if you are trying to drive and talk on the radio and shoot at the same time or if one arm is injured. The other advantage to carrying the 1911 is showing off to the Austin PD guys that can't carry theirs anymore (TXLEAPD) since they went to the S&W M&P 40s. I guess I could force myself to carry my Ed Brown Special Forces if I had too. Would that make me Tacticool or would i still just be a geezer?

8. NY State DOC officers still carry the 686 when transporting prisoners off-site. In think that their CERT guys and officers assigned to the fugitive task force are issues Glock 19s but I'm not sure on that.

9. I believe Ocean City seasonal officers are still issued wheel guns.

10. Why thankfully?

11. I'm still authorized to carry one and have the leather gear, but I haven't in a while. Maybe on my last day of work...

12. During my trip to Chicago in February, 2013, I saw one crusty ol' copper carrying a S&W revolver.

13. I think you'll only find them in places with pretty liberal duty gun carry options. Where I was, we had 72 Inv. total and out of that, I remember qualifying 4 of them. They were all older guys that had retired from other agencies before coming to work for the D.A.

I'm not against them but think the semi-autos offer a definite advantage especially in today's encounters. When I first started, the Glock was just coming onscene and I asked to carry a G17 and was told that wasn't on the approved list so I carried a Springfield Govt. 1911 for about 5 years. :supergrin:

14. In this day and age all most any LEO that even knows how to use a wheel gun is an old fart.:wow:

The last year that I worked as a LEO I did carry a Glock 17 and/or a 1911.:supergrin:

I still pocket carry an auto 'cause my Dan Wesson .357 won't fit in my pocket:rofl:

A revolver will still serve well IF you know how to use it:supergrin:

Just my opinion:dunno: I am an "old fart":rofl:

15. Many of our senior officers carry them. A few still carry 1911s, too.

The revolvers are 686s.

16. Where I'm at, some older investigators still have revolvers as backups and will carry that instead of their duty gun while working. But it seems each year more and more backup guns are semi-autos.

17. Because I believe there are much better tools for the job available.

18. Fair enough, everyone is entitled to their opinion.....:thumbsup:

19. When I flew into Chicago last year I saw at least one revolver on a CPD officer. Looked like he was interacting with a local scrote so I didn't get a chance to Ask him about it.

20. Ohio Corrections Officers carry revolvers on prisoner transports, however the last one I saw had an M&P, so they may be making the switch.

21. This...There are still some on my prior department that carry revolvers, but those are few and far between. Some of the younger officers (AKA...New Jacks) lovingly refer to the older patrol guys with revolvers as "gunslingers"....Imagine that...:wow:

22. yes, someone can answer this im assuming its a Govt agency. but last year when we were in Washington DC for a visit(first time there ever) I noticed that the Guards inside places like the Smithsonian I saw all had revolvers...or at least the ones I saw but they were 100% revolvers..dont know what branch they are or even if they were private(but im guessing not if they were in a federal building)

23. My family and I were at the Holocaust Museum in DC this summer. There was armed security there, but I believe it was private. They all had stainless revolvers. The ones that were going home, I assume, or off duty, had empty holsters as they left the building.

24. I'm a reserve deputy in a county with three full time PDs (County Sheriff, and then two municipalities, one of 3,000 and one of 2,500, the smaller one being where our SO is located. One of the smaller town's reserves carries a 4" S&W 686 Pro and speed loaders for reloads. He loves the damn thing, and it certainly starts conversation with people who notice it and know what they're looking at.

25. Tacticool or geezer, most of us know not to **** with you. :supergrin:

26. Here is South East Texas in the late 70's a lot of officers were carrying revolvers. There was a company in Houston Texas that would make you a butt plate for your revolver, it had your name on it and department or city you lived. It also had the State of Texas Seal in the middle of plate. It was made out of Sterling Silver and Gold. All the had to do was trace around the butt of the pistol and they would make the plate and attach it to the pistol grip with 2 small screws. I still have my Butt Plate for a Colt Python, but not the gun. They sure were pretty of the butt of a revolver.

27. Here's a page out of Dragoon44's training manual on revolvers:

[​IMG]

:rofl:

28. Several years back I was at the Philly airport in the wee hours of the morning. I ran into 2 Philly officers, both had revolvers. Very friendly gentlemen, and we had a nice conversation. They said they were grandfathered in, that when they went to auto loaders they were allowed to keep their revolvers if they wanted. Not sure if that is the case today.

29. I think anyone new with Chicago has to pick either a Glock or Springfield XD. But I know there's old-timers still walking around with wheel guns. I assume they were grandfathered. Hell, they probably ARE grandfathers.

30. I was greatly influenced by Jeff Cooper in my "early" years, as well as Bill Jordan. Both gentlemen could be very convincing to a young head full of mush.

The revolver can be very effective, but takes more work to become and stay proficient.

Today, it is tough to beat a G21 for a combination of effectiveness, weight and cost. But I still have my revolvers:)

31. There's one GT member who advocates for NYPD going back to "six shooters"...
    He's been asked his creds to discuss NYPD training. He refused to provide any.

:cool:

32. I remember the transition to semis in the Detroit area around 1991. We could switch to the S&W 9mm of the time. I didn't like 'em much & stuck with my old S&W 586 for awhile longer.

In 40 years of LE, I never needed a 3rd shot. They didn't have any good BUGS back then.

My 1st "issued" (aka mandatory carry) was a Sig 226 for uniform.

33. I have a dress rig for a Smith 4" when I do ceremonial duties. Also have a Colt Official Police for those nostalgic days.

34. Between semi-annual qualification with a Glock 22 or a weekly range session with a S&W or Colt revolver, I'd gladly transfer to a Magnum.

The revolver has its limits, but it also has its advantages and in the hands of a trained warrior, it is not a hindrance.

35. Im all for carrying what you want/comfortable/shoot well with, but in no way, shape or form would I want a modern day officer to carry a revolver for a primary weapon. Back up gun however, nothing compares. I used to carry a 1911 (Operator) and after learning how to shoot a Glock 17 well, I will never again carry a 1911 for duty use. I have 20 rounds, minimal recoil, a light, any accessory I would ever need, lightweight etc. Opinions are like...

36. Last week on 6ABC News, Phila. I saw current footage of a crime scene. One of the cops had a revolver with wooden stocks in his holster. I was surprised.

Any Philly Cops familiar with an ancient cop that would have been at the Phila Car Show the year before last? Looked like he was in his seventies. I think he was still rocking a revolver.

37. Went into my police only credit union a while back and there was a Denver PD old salt in line with a huge wheelgun and his portable clipped to his back pocket. :supergrin:

A lieutenant from their department came in about the same time and the salt dog shot his mouth off to the lieutenant about something and pissed the LT off. I hope I'm that crusty in 15 more years. :rofl:

38. Yeah, when you hit 20 your balls get a tad bigger.

39. I saw a youngish Chicago P.D. Officer four years ago with a blued GP100.

40. I'm the firearms instructor at my PD and can tell you that revolvers are "technically" still allowed. However, since policy only allows .38+P, even in .357 revolvers, it's really not worth it. Why carry a revolver with 6 rds and slow reloads when you can carry something like a Glock 17 with 17+1 capacity and, probably, more effective ammunition? We still have one Officer who started in the early '70's and still carries his issued S&W M66. He shoots it VERY WELL! However, he is 79 and only works details like parades and sporting events at the local High School and says that he will finally retire for good this fall when he turns 80. I'd have a hard time allowing anyone to carry a revolver as a primary sidearm in this day and age.

Having said that, if we allowed .357, I'd buy and qualify with a 3" GP100. About the only time I can think of that I'd carry it would be for court or to screw with the rookies in training, but the looks and comments would be priceless.

Bub75

41. Indiana State DOC had revolvers till 2007.