How many still use revolvers for primary sidearm?

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by cherokeewarrior, Mar 11, 2014.

1. Ajon412

Ajon412

This...There are still some on my prior department that carry revolvers, but those are few and far between. Some of the younger officers (AKA...New Jacks) lovingly refer to the older patrol guys with revolvers as "gunslingers"....Imagine that...:wow:

2. CBennett

CBennett

yes, someone can answer this im assuming its a Govt agency. but last year when we were in Washington DC for a visit(first time there ever) I noticed that the Guards inside places like the Smithsonian I saw all had revolvers...or at least the ones I saw but they were 100% revolvers..dont know what branch they are or even if they were private(but im guessing not if they were in a federal building)

3. seagravedriver

seagravedriver

My family and I were at the Holocaust Museum in DC this summer. There was armed security there, but I believe it was private. They all had stainless revolvers. The ones that were going home, I assume, or off duty, had empty holsters as they left the building.

4. Top_Shot_31

Top_Shot_31

I'm a reserve deputy in a county with three full time PDs (County Sheriff, and then two municipalities, one of 3,000 and one of 2,500, the smaller one being where our SO is located. One of the smaller town's reserves carries a 4" S&W 686 Pro and speed loaders for reloads. He loves the damn thing, and it certainly starts conversation with people who notice it and know what they're looking at.

5. Cochese

Cochese Most mackinest CLM

Tacticool or geezer, most of us know not to **** with you. :supergrin:

6. COYBOY

COYBOY

Here is South East Texas in the late 70's a lot of officers were carrying revolvers. There was a company in Houston Texas that would make you a butt plate for your revolver, it had your name on it and department or city you lived. It also had the State of Texas Seal in the middle of plate. It was made out of Sterling Silver and Gold. All the had to do was trace around the butt of the pistol and they would make the plate and attach it to the pistol grip with 2 small screws. I still have my Butt Plate for a Colt Python, but not the gun. They sure were pretty of the butt of a revolver.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  7. Tiro Fijo

Tiro Fijo

Here's a page out of Dragoon44's training manual on revolvers:

[​IMG]

:rofl:

8. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

Several years back I was at the Philly airport in the wee hours of the morning. I ran into 2 Philly officers, both had revolvers. Very friendly gentlemen, and we had a nice conversation. They said they were grandfathered in, that when they went to auto loaders they were allowed to keep their revolvers if they wanted. Not sure if that is the case today.

9. volsbear

volsbear IWannaBeSedated Lifetime Member

I think anyone new with Chicago has to pick either a Glock or Springfield XD. But I know there's old-timers still walking around with wheel guns. I assume they were grandfathered. Hell, they probably ARE grandfathers.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  10. cherokeewarrior

cherokeewarrior NRA Life Member

I was greatly influenced by Jeff Cooper in my "early" years, as well as Bill Jordan. Both gentlemen could be very convincing to a young head full of mush.

The revolver can be very effective, but takes more work to become and stay proficient.

Today, it is tough to beat a G21 for a combination of effectiveness, weight and cost. But I still have my revolvers:)

11. RussP

RussP Super Moderator Staff Member Moderator

There's one GT member who advocates for NYPD going back to "six shooters"...
    He's been asked his creds to discuss NYPD training. He refused to provide any.

:cool:

12. CC99

CC99

I remember the transition to semis in the Detroit area around 1991. We could switch to the S&W 9mm of the time. I didn't like 'em much & stuck with my old S&W 586 for awhile longer.

In 40 years of LE, I never needed a 3rd shot. They didn't have any good BUGS back then.

My 1st "issued" (aka mandatory carry) was a Sig 226 for uniform.

13. 17445

17445 *

I have a dress rig for a Smith 4" when I do ceremonial duties. Also have a Colt Official Police for those nostalgic days.

14. blueiron

blueiron

Between semi-annual qualification with a Glock 22 or a weekly range session with a S&W or Colt revolver, I'd gladly transfer to a Magnum.

The revolver has its limits, but it also has its advantages and in the hands of a trained warrior, it is not a hindrance.

15. rudeboy3

rudeboy3

Im all for carrying what you want/comfortable/shoot well with, but in no way, shape or form would I want a modern day officer to carry a revolver for a primary weapon. Back up gun however, nothing compares. I used to carry a 1911 (Operator) and after learning how to shoot a Glock 17 well, I will never again carry a 1911 for duty use. I have 20 rounds, minimal recoil, a light, any accessory I would ever need, lightweight etc. Opinions are like...

16. fran m

fran m

Last week on 6ABC News, Phila. I saw current footage of a crime scene. One of the cops had a revolver with wooden stocks in his holster. I was surprised.

Any Philly Cops familiar with an ancient cop that would have been at the Phila Car Show the year before last? Looked like he was in his seventies. I think he was still rocking a revolver.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2014
  17. Cochese

Cochese Most mackinest CLM

Went into my police only credit union a while back and there was a Denver PD old salt in line with a huge wheelgun and his portable clipped to his back pocket. :supergrin:

A lieutenant from their department came in about the same time and the salt dog shot his mouth off to the lieutenant about something and pissed the LT off. I hope I'm that crusty in 15 more years. :rofl:

18. vettely

vettely

Yeah, when you hit 20 your balls get a tad bigger.

19. KingWalleye

KingWalleye

I saw a youngish Chicago P.D. Officer four years ago with a blued GP100.

20. bub

bub Millennium Member

I'm the firearms instructor at my PD and can tell you that revolvers are "technically" still allowed. However, since policy only allows .38+P, even in .357 revolvers, it's really not worth it. Why carry a revolver with 6 rds and slow reloads when you can carry something like a Glock 17 with 17+1 capacity and, probably, more effective ammunition? We still have one Officer who started in the early '70's and still carries his issued S&W M66. He shoots it VERY WELL! However, he is 79 and only works details like parades and sporting events at the local High School and says that he will finally retire for good this fall when he turns 80. I'd have a hard time allowing anyone to carry a revolver as a primary sidearm in this day and age.

Having said that, if we allowed .357, I'd buy and qualify with a 3" GP100. About the only time I can think of that I'd carry it would be for court or to screw with the rookies in training, but the looks and comments would be priceless.

Bub75