How Many Rounds To Shoot Before Carry?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Robert Hansen, Mar 21, 2017.

1. Robert Hansen

Robert Hansen

I have a G36 that was jamming and now it's fixed. When should I be satisfied that it's good to carry? The guy where I got the fix ( https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/g36-jamming-and-a-fix.1656431/page-2 ) implies that 200 rounds is not enough. What is the right number? If you read what he said, it's kind of confusing and would cost a lot of money.

2. boost1

boost1 Whooshhhhh

I would say 1000 would be safe, but you are going to get so many opinions on here.

Ancientmariner likes this.

3. Biggsly

Biggsly Good looking deplorable

I never count rounds on a carry gun. I shoot it until I feel confident with it.

4. fullmetal1911

fullmetal1911

Some people are super picky about how many rounds to run through a gun. Personally, if I had a gun that had already been problematic the number would be somewhere around 500, to include every kind of ammo including my carry ammo and crappy steel case. If it can't eat any ammo I feed it, it goes in the safe and becomes a range toy, but that's just because I won't trust my life to a finicky gun.

edellson, n2g, John Biltz and 6 others like this.
  5. Joco34

Joco34 NRA Benefactor Member, Blue Knights Member Silver Member

With Glocks in mind I will do a severe range day (200-300 rounds) with all kinds of factory defence ammo that I carry and all of the mags that I own for the weapon. No hiccops than good to go. If there is a problem then I need to see what's up and reconsider. With Stock non-modified Glocks I must say I have never had an issue. With other brands it is really a toss up with way too many varibles to go into. Lots of brands, OEM magazines etc.

6. Robert Hansen

Robert Hansen

My Glock jammed regularly and I tried lots of things to fix it until I found the post about the barrel. That fixed it. Here's what the guy with the barrel fix had to say when I asked if 200 rounds was enough (sorry it's long):

"My opinion is that there is no absolute answer to your question. If I bought a new Glock and put 500 rounds through it (including at least 100 rounds of my carry ammo), I might feel comfortable enough to carry it. In the case of the G36 that had failed on me, I have now put a little over 900 rounds through it including about 200 rounds of my carry ammo. I am beginning to feel that I can trust it. Is my judgement about this correct? Who knows? Am I being unreasonably cautious? I don’t even know that myself, but I do know that only I can decide. My point and humble opinion is, only YOU can decide after listening to reasonable considered advice and carefully considering the potential consequences of failure. Personally, I don't think 200 rounds is enough to prove reliability when your life may depend on it. I think my G36 is cured, but I feel like I need to pump a little more ammo through it before I have a real comfort level with it. After all, I have a beat up looking model 19 that has easily swallowed 10 to 15 thousand rounds and never failed to function. I expect zero failures in Glocks."

SonnyB, Gray_Rider and First shot like this.
  7. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

For me, it usually is at least 500 rounds with no failures. Part of that is I like to be able to shoot the gun well and have a comfort level of familiarity, that usually takes more than a few practice sessions and I rarely shoot more than a couple hundred a session these days.

Many times I will develop a clone load of my reloads to allow me to shoot enough of a similar round (say JHP) without breaking the bank getting comfortable.

If I have a trusted piece that something went awry and I was sure I had identified and fixed the problem, it might be as simple as a single range session with a few boxes of my ammo of choice to get back that loving feeling. For me, it is all about confidence.

crockett likes this.
  8. Dave514

Dave514

If I run 100 rounds, 20 of it what I plan to carry, and there are no hiccups...I'm good. If I have a jam or other problem...it's gonna take A LOT of rounds. A LOT!

edellson, hannstv, Nucflash and 7 others like this.
  9. powernoodle

powernoodle

Same here. And its way fewer rounds than the 500 or 1000 that some of you guys advocate.

Deltic, Biggsly, First shot and 2 others like this.
  10. OBG17

OBG17

+1 I don't carry a gun until I feel confident in shooting it consistently well. I have to get used to the nuisances of the trigger, how it sights/recoils, and how it tracks. That could be a few hundred rounds, 500 rounds, or 1K rounds.

Biggsly and newseditor like this.
  11. Rocky7

Rocky7

I usually load only 10 rounds in my mags for practice and test trials, I have (40) for the 17's (40) for the 26's with Pearce plus 2, and had (40) for the 30s. When I can deliver 10 rounds in each mag. I consider it a pass, vetting consists of all 40 mags at 100%, so 400 rounds makes it usable 100%.

Since I now prep a new firearm, I have not had any issues and consider the 1-1/2 hours it takes to make them right worthwhile.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
    WeeWilly likes this.
  12. A6Gator

A6Gator

500 burp-free rounds.

Usually combined with a couple hundred rounds in some initial range time, getting sights dialed in, etc., then 3 or 4 IDPA or USPSA matches. Helps me identify any magazine issues, and it gets me use to that specific gun's manual of arms, if it's different than something I've been routinely carrying. The first 100 rounds is always factory ammo.

Why 500? Why not? Just seemed like a good round number. If a handgun hasn't yacked by the time you reach 10 boxes (with, at least, one of those boxes, actual carry ammo), it probably won't. At least, it hasn't happened to me. Will it crap out on round 501? Maybe, but probability is that it won't.

WeeWilly likes this.
  13. TeaDub

TeaDub

My lowest count with a Glock for carry was 1 box of FMJ followed by 25 rounds of my carry load. I have owned a dozen or so and they always work for me. I also know the platform after 20 or so years using them.

A new gun platform gets around 2-300 FMJ followed by a full 50 carry. If I get ANY failure, the process starts over. If a problem persists, I try to find the source. If I can't, it becomes a range toy or gets sold. If a Glock chokes, it would go to full vetting mode.

New platforms are rare for me these days as far as "carry" guns. I have pretty much settled on Glocks, XD/XDS and revolvers. Those have all earned my confidence. The rest are range toys.

Gray_Rider and Jason Glockman like this.
  14. eclayton

eclayton

deleted

Last edited: May 10, 2017
    Deltic and Bruce M like this.
  15. A6Gator

A6Gator

500 burp-free rounds.

Usually combined with a couple hundred rounds in some initial range time, getting sights dialed in, etc., then 3 or 4 IDPA or USPSA matches. Helps me identify any magazine issues, and it gets me use to that specific gun's manual of arms, if it's different than something I've been routinely carrying. The first 100 rounds is always factory ammo.

Why 500? Why not? Just seemed like a good round number. If a handgun hasn't yacked by the time you reach 10 boxes (with, at least, one of those boxes, actual carry ammo), it probably won't. At least, it hasn't happened to me.

Will it crap out on round 501? Maybe, but probability is that it won't.

16. quantico

quantico 1911 lover Millennium Member

If I shoot 200 rounds and 20 of my defensive load then the gun is good.

Earl Smith, nitesite10mm and Joco34 like this.
  17. 2400fps10mm

2400fps10mm Civil Defense 60gr Fragmenting 10mm 2,400fps

For functionality/break in, I'd say roughly 500 rounds with at least 100 of them being whatever expensive JHP/fragmenting/defense rounds you plan on carrying.

Just because your gun feeds well on FMJ range ammo doesn't mean it will feed well on whatever specific JHP/fragmenting/defense ammo you plan on carrying it with. I could care less if a gun is finicky with ammo, as long as it is essentially flawless with the ammo I use for carry.

Lastly, I wouldn't hesitate to carry a gun that gives me 2 or 3 failures per 1,000 rounds. People who say your carry gun MUST exhibit zero failures over 1,000 rounds "because your life depends on it" are clowns.

RPK Clone and Joco34 like this.
  18. JohnMcD348

JohnMcD348

When I choose a firearm for carry, I shot it until I'm fully comfortable with it. I think the day I bought my G26, between me and my wife, we ran through just under 1000 rounds at the range. The store I bought it at has a range on it and they comped us the range time. We went through 8 boxes of magtech and Blazer ammo combined just to get comfortable with the pistol. Then I bought 4 different brands of defensive ammo between 115-147gr and shot about 20-50 rounds of each, seeing how one brand /wt shot compared to others.

After that, I bought a couple of boxes of 124gr Hydra-Shok, a DiSanti pocket holster and carried it from that day on.

I didn't, and don't buy a pistol ans say "I need to shoot XX-XXX number of rounds before I feel like it's OK to carry." I shoot it until I'm comfortable with it and feel like I am OK with how it shoots and go from there.

PS. Out of all those rounds shot that day, there were only 2 jams and it was the wife, who admitted she was getting tired and probably weak wristed it.

Earl Smith likes this.
  19. mustangman40

mustangman40

No solid number I stick with, really depends on how well I shoot it out the gate.
    If all's good, probably between 150-200 FMJ range stuff, and at least 25 of JHP carry ammo.
    That's me though, YMMV.

Earl Smith and Joco34 like this.
  20. deathpriest

deathpriest

Hand cycle in front of the TV 500 times or so.
    100 rounds of ball ammo
    20 rounds of carry ammo

Earl Smith likes this.