How many rounds have you shot without cleaning your Glock?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by brian321, Oct 12, 2010.

1. brian321

brian321

I am just wondering what the longest you have went with out cleaning your Glock?

How many rounds have been through it?

How long has it been?

Does it still shoot like it did when you got it?

I thought it would be neat to hear some stories.

Thanks,
    Brian

2. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

Did a torture test for a couple of years with over 5000 rounds in a Gen 1 G17 without cleaning. Started bone dry and finished soaking wet with CLP.

Not a single failure.

3. freetrapper

freetrapper

Too many.............. My old man would kill me if he seen how I treated this thing. LOL

4. G21ACPBeliever

G21ACPBeliever

500rds or so through my 21sf and I got home and really didn't get around to cleaning it for a week or two. Cleaned right up, good as new! All guns work just like the day I bought them, 100% reliable. Only issues I ever had were with an extended mag (30rd/.45) which I thought in retrospect was a foolish waste of $. I was hoping to have the 30rd'er and get the ccu attachment upper and have a .45 carbine which would be sweet! Didn't work out... Maybe the manufacturer will replace it or something, It's probably the spring. I've shot others dirty, beat, abused, kicked, caked, drowned Glocks and they have all run 100% except for the aforementioned Mag thing on my 21. I'm not sure why so many people have posts on issues that they've had with the things. My friend has a 2'nd gen that's beat & looks like crap and he claims that it's never been cleaned other than wiping the slide and outside of the barrel down... Looks like crap & neither he or I have had it not point & shoot!

5. brausso

brausso

Maybe 300 rounds. I just can't help it. It takes me less than 10 minutes to do a field strip and clean, so there's really no excuse. The only time it's a real pain is when I shoot 4 or 5 different guns at a time, then it's a bit more of an issue.

I actually clean/lube my carry piece even if I haven't shot it recently. I just my ccw always clean and good to go.

6. dondulah

dondulah

Only about 200 rounds, between 3 short trips to the range, and that was way too long. I mean if you are going to use it for home defense or CCW you should take care of it.

7. uhlawpup

uhlawpup l'Italia s'è desta

112. Happiness is a clean gun.

8. DustyDawg48

DustyDawg48

I clean mine after each trip to the range or after an IDPA match. It might take me a couple of days to get around to it, but they are all cleaned eventually after each trip.

9. MartinRiggs1987

MartinRiggs1987

I know someone. Who received a Glock 26 through a trade. It was cleaned and oiled (and in perfect condition), right before handing it off. Which would have been in 04. The person in question was ex-military and liked to carry, all the time. It was belt carried, and he preferred to go around at home without a shirt. Especially in the spring and summer. But frankly he did it all the time.

The gun would be at his waist, and he would sweat and perspire all over the thing. Day after day, year after year. He knew Glocks were known for their toughness, so he didn’t think anymore about it. About two years ago, corrosion and rust spots started to appear on the gun. The fact was mentioned, that you might want to clean that.

As of two weeks ago, he had a mechanical problem with it. And he wanted someone to e-mail Glock, and see if the damage would be covered under Glock’s Lifetime Warranty. Upon looking at it, there were rust spots on the rail when field stripped. And the rust spots on the outside, had gotten significantly worse.

From looking at it, a friend told me, that as far as he could tell. The last time, that it was cleaned, was prior to the trade in 04.

The gun could be salvaged, if he put $300-500 dollars into it. And that’s another story.

This story is both a nod to Glock resilience and a lack… of something.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2010
  10. VAisForGlockers

VAisForGlockers

You lost me there. Salvaged? It could be replaced at those amounts. You can replace all the guts and have it refinished for under $200

11. ede

ede

i used a g17 for the entire season without cleaning. shot more than a match a week with it and no problems. my guess is around 8000 to 10,000 rounds. did run a bore snake down the barrel in july.

12. brian321

brian321

Thats what I like to hear, I just purchased a G19 and I was thinking about seeing how many rounds I can put through it before it started to malfunction.

I also have my carry gun and a few others but thought it would be neat to see how much a Glock can handle, Just for the fun of it.

Keep the stories coming.

Brian

13. Brian Lee

Brian Lee Drop those nuts

This is me too. I always take a cleaning kit to the range with me, and if I shoot over 200 rounds, I clean the gun in a few minutes and shoot 200 more, repeat.

I consider this whole subject to be like bragging about how long it's been since I changed the oil in my car. It's not a proper test of durability at all, since you can correctly test the true durability of a car or a gun only when you are simultaneously taking care of it with proper maintenance.

This issue is more of a "how-quickly-can-I-destroy-it-with-abuse" test, and that's not only a whole different subject, it's largely irrelevant to the life of a gun that's been well cared for.

14. MartinRiggs1987

MartinRiggs1987

He didn't have it itemized. The belief was somewhere between $250 and $500. Given the amount of corrosion, the low side doesn't seem possible. Sections need replaced. You're saying $200. Well cool...

I don't think it matters though. The owner wants an instant fix. He doesn't want a project.

Vaia, go a little farther. Is this a general guess, or do you have specific ideas given the description. ...After reading you again. You're saying refinished for $200, correct?

15. Mochahooligan

Mochahooligan

My 17 I am the 3rd owner of it and I shot it for 5 years straight I lost count of the thousands of rounds I put through her and she never stopped once. That made me a Glock lover and have not stopped since! BTW it is bout 20 years old

16. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

700 rnds but that was just one range session.

17. CrossEyedShooter

CrossEyedShooter

850 rounds in one range session - mostly .22, couple hundred 9mm at the end. Dirty little thing afterwards. I am sure she would have kept shooting, though. Can't get this gun to have a problem based on dirt so far.

That reminds me - she needs a detail strip & cleaning after that much shooting, doesn't she? I think I will do that tonight.

18. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

You're suppose to clean these things???

:supergrin:

19. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

Just drop in the dishwasher once in a while.

20. solomansousana

solomansousana

Generation 1 Glock 17: 6,672 rounds of mixed CCI Blazer, Win ball and samson ball