Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
one cool dude
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just a rough estimate shooting only factory loaded ammo.

·
Registered
9,206 Posts
I don't know about the larger caliber barrels or .357SIG barrels, but in the Glock factory in Austria there's a display with a Gen1 G17 with a certificate next to it. The certificate is from the Hirtenberger company and it states that they ran 348,210 rounds through that G17 and only had to replace the springs in the process. I don't know why they stopped at that round count, maybe they figured going any further was a waste of time.

Last time I heard, Chuck Taylor was closing in on 300,000 rounds through his G17.

·
Registered
6,036 Posts
just a rough estimate shooting only factory loaded ammo.
Unless you have a kaboom or squib that ruins the barrel, the short answer is more rounds than you will ever shoot in your life!

Springs should be changed every so often, I've heard 5,000 rounds for the recoil spring, mag springs should be changed when you start getting the slide failing to lock after the last round.

·
TEXAS COWBOY
722 Posts
I have no idea....but, it takes a whole lotta shootin' I'm sure. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it....

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
I used to shoot USPSA & GSSF with a guy who worked at Glock many years ago. He said he owned a G17 (at the time I was talking to him) which had previously been used at Glock, Inc. for R & D. He claimed the gun had about a million rounds through it & that it still worked well. I did not ask about springs, etc.

As far as I know, he is a truthful person & the round count is real. Tenifer is a lot harder than lead, copper or brass.

·
Banned
466 Posts
I have never heard of a Glock barrel being shot out.

·
20,411 Posts
My 1996 Gen2 G19 has 76,000+ rounds fired and I still use it in competition.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
A lot more rounds than you could ever afford to purchase in three lifetimes. You will probably never even ever see a worn out glock barrel in your lifetime.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Your kids kids kids will still be shooting it, Long after were gone....

·
Glock Sportsman
1,363 Posts
Millions, if you are rich enough to go that far????

·
A swamp dude
11,272 Posts
This may not be a smart question, but it is sincere. Is there anything secret, high tech, metallurgically brilliant or magic about Glock barrels that set them apart from Sig, S&W, Ruger and other top gun builders? I'm not hi-jacking, just adding another twist to the OP.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts