Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased several new Glock factory magazines. How do you "Test" them before you are satisfied that they are good to go for self defense carry?

·
Registered
10,789 Posts
Out of the box or out of the package (factory mags) I would not worry about. I won't carry aftermarket mags.

Most of my mags are sorted in basically a pile, and used to some degree. I will simply select mags from the pile if need be, with focus paid to mags that are broken in and less resistant to a full load.

Never once had any problem out of a Glock mag.

Shoot the Glock at least once before carrying it. You really only need to thoroughly 'test' aftermarket contraptions and doodads.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
OEM- a couple mags. 3rd party- I've been going with 100-200 minimum without a failure.

Out of the box or out of the package (factory mags) I would not worry about. I won't carry aftermarket mags.
I assume you mean the mags that you add to your collection, not taking a new Glock out of the box, sticking it in your holster and going out for the day before test shooting it?

·
Registered
854 Posts
Usually, if a mag has a problem the problem will be apparent with any ammo, be it range FMJ or duty ammo

I usually just shoot a full mags worth of whatever ammo I carry, then 3 or 4 mags of whatever range ammo I have on hand

assuming they're OEM, Glock mags are very rarely a problem

·
Registered
436 Posts
I run new magazines through 3 cycles at full capacity, plus one in the chamber, with zero stoppages, before I use them for defense. I run 2 cycles with FMJ ammo, and one cycle with defense ammo to verify the magazine functions correctly with the pistol.

I use stock OEM magazines with no extensions that increase magazine capacity. The only modification I do to an OEM magazine is to replace the base plate with a Pearce finger grip extension on smaller pistols (e.g., Glock 26, Glock 42, Glock 43).

·
Registered
10,789 Posts
I assume you mean the mags that you add to your collection, not taking a new Glock out of the box, sticking it in your holster and going out for the day before test shooting it?
I usually don't.

I aim to field strip a new Glock, remove the copper anti-sieze compound, clean and oil it.
Then I'll put a few rounds through it. By a few, could just be a single magazine, just a partial mag (5-10 rounds), or a box or two.

I'm just not that worried about encountering problems out of a factory Glock.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I'm just not that worried about encountering problems out of a factory Glock.
The breech cut on my G48 causes an occasional failure to feed with Glock OEM 10 rd magazines. The incidence of failures has decreased since I dehorned the sharp edges on the breech cut with a stone and fired more rounds to break-in the pistol. I don't know if the problem will ever completely go away. It's the only Glock I have, except G44, that wasn't flawless out-of-the-box. (I have nine Glock 9mms.)

·
Registered
14,575 Posts
None to well over 1000. It's hard for me to tell them apart and if they've been used or not.

Reactions: indivi

·
Registered
480 Posts
If I buy a new mag, I immediately load it up and put it in my stash of magazines and then will shoot them at random when their day has come. I don't go out of my way to test fire out of a new magazine. My new magazine could come up in the random rotation and end up in my gun with zero previous use. I would not worry one twit about using it that way.

·
Registered
10,789 Posts
The breech cut on my G48 causes an occasional failure to feed with Glock OEM 10 rd magazines. The incidence of failures has decreased since I dehorned the sharp edges on the breech cut with a stone and fired more rounds to break-in the pistol. I don't know if the problem will ever completely go away. It's the only Glock I have, except G44, that wasn't flawless out-of-the-box. (I have nine Glock 9mms.)
I've got a couple of 48's (and a 43X), including one of the initial silver slide models.
Hadn't had any problems. I don't remember if my silver 48 has the breech face cut or not, I'll have to look at it again - I don't think they do but the last 48 I bought below a few months ago does.
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Airsoft gun

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Glock magazines? I wouldn't worry if it was never cycled, I would trust it anyway. Otherwise, one cycle of a full magazine and call it good.

·
NRA Life Member
72,883 Posts
I recently purchased several new Glock factory magazines. How do you "Test" them before you are satisfied that they are good to go for self defense carry?
Zero. I have owned a hundred or more Glock magazines and none ever failed. If it's OEM Glock, it will work fine.

·
Registered
8,533 Posts
I load them to full capacity and let them sit and set for awhile. I'll take them and shoot them. They will be 99.9% okay.

·
Registered
37,726 Posts
Glock magazines are a bit of a pain to disassemble to inspect. In my last armorer recert they told us that Glock was now recommending not to disassemble magazines frequently, so the plastic parts holding them together wouldn't wear as quickly.

When it comes to all the other magazines I use, I like to dissemble and inspect them, looking for components issues, to confirm proper orientation of springs & followers, etc. I no longer do that with NIB Glock magazines. I just check for normal follower movement and spring tension (loading and unloading the magazines).

I prefer to function-test new magazines that I'm going to put in a carry rotation by firing at least 25rds from each of them, and up to 50rds each if I have the time and ammo available. Those numbers were decided upon because for a while I was pulling rounds from new boxes, and they were 25 & 50rd boxes. ;) However, when I was pulling rounds from a bin of loose range ammo, I was usually satisfied by fired 2-5 full magazine loads from each magazine ... and I was running the mags for regular quals and practice drills, so sometimes more rounds might end up being used in any particular new mag.

Bottom line, I want to walk away from the range having complete confidence that the magazine will be reliable if I have to immediately use it for self defense.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts