close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How many rounds can a Glock handle?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by MonsterB, Jan 7, 2010.

1. MonsterB

MonsterB

Im wondering how many rounds I can put through my G26 and have it still be solid....reason Im asking is Ive had the gun for just about a month, and already have 1300+ rounds through it.....I like to shoot as often as possible, mostly every weekend and occasionally during the week, and of course I dont think my Glock will wear out any time soon, Im just wondering how long these things last under that kind of usage....should I get another Glock to keep in decent shape and shoot the hell out of my current one? In those 1300 rounds I have not had one misfire, jam, or any other problem at all, not one....I often see people with guns that are a year or two old and only have 3-500 rounds through them, so they are probably not the best ones to ask...I am so happy with this gun and shoot it so well that I dont really want another gun at the moment, but will definitely buy another Glock if I have too.....probably a 19, 17, or a 33 so I can have the option of changing barrels/calibers etc....

2. Morris

Morris CLM

Glocks in the 9mm flavor will outlast you in the round counts. Replace parts as needed or on a decent interval and it will shoot fine.

3. ronin.45

ronin.45

If you do proper maintenance it will last virtually forever.

Keep it relatively clean and lubed. Replace springs at regular intervals. It will last hundreds of thousands of rounds.

4. G26S239

G26S239 NRA Patron

My first 26 has over 10 times what yours does with over 1000 of those being +P+ and it is still in great shape.

5. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

More than you can probably afford.
    :supergrin:

6. frankmako

frankmako

plus one. i have seen some that have not been taken care with high round count and they were still going.

7. 1-2man

1-2man Part Time

Don't worry, she'll give you at least another 700 or so. :)

8. rescueswimmer

rescueswimmer

Like the others have said, Maintain it properly clean and lube and replace the parts that were at recommended scheduled intervals and it will last you till you get board and decide you need a different toy.

9. Brucev

Brucev

Hummm... 1,300 rds./month... that's 15,600/year... times say 10 years... that's 156,000 rds. Maybe if you keep that pace up you might have to replace a few parts but even in 20 years with proper maintenance that Glock will still be shooting. Sincerely. Brucev.

10. Bruce M

Bruce M

I have often said that if someone wants to buy the ammunition for me I would gladly buy guns and shoort them to destruction to see how long they last. Near as I can tell one would spend perhaps from 10 to maybe 100 times the cost of a decent handgun on enough ammuntion to shoot the gun up. Heck I'd even spring for replacement springs myself, if someone else would pick up just the cost of the ammunition.

11. Scott in Houston

Scott in Houston

Great responses, but isn't the answer to 'how many rounds will a Glock handle'?

"Nobody knows"

It hasn't been discovered, yet.

12. MrVvrroomm

MrVvrroomm

How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop?

13. SiGlockBoy

SiGlockBoy

G&A magazine, Chuck Taylor, started an article in late 80's / early 90's in which he shot 100,000 rds through a Glock17. Every few years, the same writer would hit the next 100,000rd mark and another story. I believe his stories ended at the 300,000rd mark. Gun was still useable. Worn around grip, broke a couple springs along the way, but never anything serious. He kept shooting it, so no idea how many rounds is through it now. He also froze it, buried it in dirt, dropped, cooled it while shooting in a bucket of water, rarely cleaned it and pretty much abused the stink out of it.

Can't find original article, but here is a copy of it.
    http://www.volny.cz/glock/html/tested.htm - If this is bad to link, please let me know.

My personal oldest is a GL17 from late 80's. It was a police trade in and other than switching from a non-captive recoil spring to a captive one, it is still as I got it years ago. Been through class, training and many courses of fire. Still keeps going and is by far the smoothest shooting one I own.

14. whoflungdo

whoflungdo

The only round count maintenace Glock recommends is to replace the recoil spring and guide rod assembly every 3k to 5k. They recommend a yearly detail strip and inspection by an armorer and replace parts as needed when worn or broken.

15. BulgarWheat

BulgarWheat

how many rounds? why? how many rounds have ya got?

16. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

17. .40 user

.40 user

Congrats on the G26. 1300 rounds already!!? Wow!
    I need to stop buying guns and buy more ammo.. lol
    I'm lucky to shoot 500 rounds a year.

18. toshbar

toshbar Timber Baron

R=(N^4)

Let R = Number of rounds a Glock can handle.

Let N = Number of rounds of ammunition in existence for that caliber today.

19. ranger1968

ranger1968

My Glock 17, which I purchased new in 1988 and that still have and shoot regularly today, has over 150,000 rounds through it, and is still going strong.......

I don't know if that answers your question, but it should give you some idea of the durability of these pistols.

20. Iceman cHucK

Iceman cHucK

1300 rds/mo X 12mo/yr = 15600 /yr
    At $.50 /round = $7800 /yr
    $7800 X 10yrs $78000

20yrs= $156,000 & 312,000 rounds (ANSWER) Keep going if you have more money!