Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about transitioning my G17.4 into the HD role tonight; the mag in the gun wears an OEM +2.

Taking Glocks advice, the mag has the 11 coil spring (33601) in conjunction with the OEM +2 (7151/7165).

The magazine only has a few cycles, but it has performed as expected with both FMJ and HP ammunition.

Seeing as how it is an OEM extension, using the recommended spring, and Glock is shipping the 19X with two mags in this configuration, I inherently "trust" the combination as it appears to be thoroughly vetted.

Generally speaking, how many rounds must you put through a magazine with an extension, OEM or aftermarket, before you trust it?

For those of you who don't trust ANY extension,. I can understand that too.

·
Glock pistols designed by Gaston Glock , Austria
775 Posts
leave them loaded for a couple weeks or a month, then take them to the range and test them again, a couple hundred rds through them would be enough to convince me they are reliable.

·
On the Border
15,282 Posts
Should be fine with a few cycles. All you're really doing with most extended bases is changing the bottom location of the spring. So having the spring cut to the right length is obviously very important.

From a functional standpoint, the only problems I've ever had with properly set-up bases is that the springs sometimes hang up as the ammo passes down to the end of the tube. But that's never been a problem with feeding.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Never. It doesn't matter who made the thing. Most of us don't mess with them because they're prone to failure. I know this from personal experience. The base plate is the part of gun that gets bumped and pressed against most often. I've had them slide off and dump the ammo while the gun was holstered. That extra couple of rounds isn't gonna make any difference anyway.

Carrying one spare mag is an excellent idea. If an auto is acting up, its generally on account of the magazine.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Never. It doesn't matter who made the thing. Most of us don't mess with them because they're prone to failure. I know this from personal experience. The base plate is the part of gun that gets bumped and pressed against most often. I've had them slide off and dump the ammo while the gun was holstered. That extra couple of rounds isn't gonna make any difference anyway.

Carrying one spare mag is an excellent idea. If an auto is acting up, its generally on account of the magazine.
Just for the sake of argument, I disagree if you're including Glock +2 extensions in your reference. In my sample size, and first hand witness to other's experiences the Glock +2's have been perfectly reliable, barring user error of course. Also, mine at least, are an absolute bear to remove from the magazine. Much more difficult to remove than the standard baseplate. I can't think of something practical I'd have to do to make the Glock +2 baseplate just pop off unexpectedly. Maybe you only dealt with a different product? Or your Glock +2's didn't have the insert? Defect? Improper installation maybe? Regardless, sorry to hear your personal experience was not good.

Anyways, the Glock +2 extension on my spare G19 carry mag is 100% good to go. I spent a couple months testing it out in various conditions from training classes to range plinking, and found it 100% reliable, along with the other 5 Glock +2's I have setup on G17 mags setup identically to the OP (11 coil springs). I only charge my extended G19 magazine +1 though (16 rounds total) - I'm not fond of how it seats on a closed chamber at max capacity (note: I feel fine about the G17 +2 mags though; at least with my sample size). The primary reason I carry an extended baseplate on my spare mag is for comfort, not capacity. The larger/more rounded baseplate on my spare mag simply feels better pressed up against me (AIWB sidecar holster) than the standard baseplate does. I keep an unmodified magazine in the G19 to keep the printing down.

Like noodle stated - I've also never needed to perform a reload in a fight. But, I've also never needed a firearm in a fight. In fact I've never been in a fight where I would have personally justified using deadly force... (So why carry..?) I don't choose to subscribe to that mindset direction. Nor have I ever heard a story from somebody that survived participating in a gunfight complain that they had too many bullets. I prefer the opposite mindset direction - within reasonable/personal ability of course. (not accusing noodle of anything here, just typing out my .02) 31-32 rounds ON me, G19 with a mounted light, AIWB, actually IS reasonable for me and my ability -- I've been told "that looks totally unpractical and uncomfortable" here on GT. However, of the people I know personally that carry, the vast majority carry similarly to me. /shrug. But hey, what works for me, might not work for you.

Test your stuff. If it works, cool, use it if you want. If it doesn't work, probably not wise to use it. As always: YMMV.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Just for the sake of argument, I disagree if you're including Glock +2 extensions in your reference. In my sample size, and first hand witness to other's experiences the Glock +2's have been perfectly reliable, barring user error of course. Also, mine at least, are an absolute bear to remove from the magazine. Much more difficult to remove than the standard baseplate. I can't think of something practical I'd have to do to make the Glock +2 baseplate just pop off unexpectedly. Maybe you only dealt with a different product? Or your Glock +2's didn't have the insert? Defect? Improper installation maybe? Regardless, sorry to hear your personal experience was not good.

Anyways, the Glock +2 extension on my spare G19 carry mag is 100% good to go. I spent a couple months testing it out in various conditions from training classes to range plinking, and found it 100% reliable, along with the other 5 Glock +2's I have setup on G17 mags setup identically to the OP (11 coil springs). I only charge my extended G19 magazine +1 though (16 rounds total) - I'm not fond of how it seats on a closed chamber at max capacity (note: I feel fine about the G17 +2 mags though; at least with my sample size). The primary reason I carry an extended baseplate on my spare mag is for comfort, not capacity. The larger/more rounded baseplate on my spare mag simply feels better pressed up against me (AIWB sidecar holster) than the standard baseplate does. I keep an unmodified magazine in the G19 to keep the printing down.

Like noodle stated - I've also never needed to perform a reload in a fight. But, I've also never needed a firearm in a fight. In fact I've never been in a fight where I would have personally justified using deadly force... (So why carry..?) I don't choose to subscribe to that mindset direction. Nor have I ever heard a story from somebody that survived participating in a gunfight complain that they had too many bullets. I prefer the opposite mindset direction - within reasonable/personal ability of course. (not accusing noodle of anything here, just typing out my .02) 31-32 rounds ON me, G19 with a mounted light, AIWB, actually IS reasonable for me and my ability -- I've been told "that looks totally unpractical and uncomfortable" here on GT. However, of the people I know personally that carry, the vast majority carry similarly to me. /shrug. But hey, what works for me, might not work for you.

Test your stuff. If it works, cool, use it if you want. If it doesn't work, probably not wise to use it. As always: YMMV.
Yeah, that's the other thing. A mag that's crammed too full and ya end up with dented casings, and if yr loading and unloading yr carry ammo, that becomes very evident. The only Glock I own now is the .45, and I don't even bother trying to get that last round in there. I can do it without too much effort, but I don't like it. I'm perfectly comfortable with 12 rds in the weapon. I do carry a spare, but that's just for the sake of having one due to what I said earlier. (failure to feed/failure to fire, the mag is yr most likely culprit) Yr not gonna have time to troubleshoot in real life, so don't train that way. Take cover, and get yr weapon running. If my gun isn't running right, I'm going to tap and rack for the sake of expediency, but my next fix is to ****can the mag and swap out.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
you asked... that's my two cents, for what it's worth. I subscribe to the mindset: If it works, don't fix it. Mag extensions are a solution in search of a problem. Same goes for the majority of Glock modifications. Yr money would be better spent on ammo or training.

·
Premium Member
22,844 Posts
Generally speaking, how many rounds must you put through a magazine with an extension, OEM or aftermarket, before you trust it?
Prior to the 43, I never felt the need to use mag extensions for a defense gun. When I decided this platform needed them, I thorough vetted them, 200 rounds minimum, plus 50 of the defense ammo, before I trusted them.

·
Registered
10,570 Posts
I use Glock mag extensions on my G-27 and G-26.

Last night if found one of my ol Gov/LEO G-22 gen3 mags with a Glock 7151 (+) bottom on it filed with old Fed 165 gr Hydrashocks. I will take it to the range soon and empty it, but I tossed it in my G-22 gen3 and noticed my grip had changed slightly with the (+) bottom not sitting as comfortable as a standard magazine in my paws...............lesson learned, I remembered I was using that same mag years ago as a back up for my EDC G-27.

So more is not always better.

And I have had no issues with Glock factory OEM (+) bottoms.

·
Banned
6,833 Posts
FWIW, the current OEM extension (7151 with 7165) is marked "+" and permits +2 rounds in 9x19mm, 357SIG, and 40SW magazines, although Glock claims +2 for 9x19mm only. This replaces the obsolete extension marked "+2" that definitely allowed +2 rounds for 9x19mm magazines ONLY.

So...whenever somebody simply mentions Glock OEM +2 extensions, it is possible that two different parts could be the subject of the discussion.

Personally, I have full faith in Glock OEM extensions ONLY and would use no other. The same applies to the magazines as well.

That said, there is no justification for their use to increase magazine capacity in a Glock used as a civilian defense weapon. (Use to extend the grip or for range games is a different matter.) There's never been a Glock made with magazine too small to adequately serve that function, even if only one magazine is used. Magazine-emptying pistol shootouts by civilians for defense are the stuff of TV and movie "culture", with no basis from real-world events. A civilian with a quality five-shot revolver like an LCRx or SP101 is fully as well-equipped for real-world defense as another using a G17 with 33-round magazine plus ten more strapped to his belt... arguably even better equipped. :)

Reactions: halfmoonclip

·
Registered
10,570 Posts
Early Glock part #1967 (+) extension had no wedge insert and the current version part #7151 (+) extension has a wedge shaped insert needed for locking it onto the magazine.

One my Gen3 Glock-17 seventeen round mags it has room and functions with three extra 9mm rounds making my extended G-17 mags twenty rounders.

·
On the day of your birth death began stalking you
9,826 Posts
With a mag extension I always put in more powerful springs. Usually I use wolf +10 springs. After that I run a box through it to test it.

Reactions: GlockyQ and GP4L

·
Registered
594 Posts
That said, there is no justification for their use to increase magazine capacity in a Glock used as a civilian defense weapon. (Use to extend the grip or for range games is a different matter.) There's never been a Glock made with magazine too small to adequately serve that function, even if only one magazine is used. Magazine-emptying pistol shootouts by civilians for defense are the stuff of TV and movie "culture", with no basis from real-world events. A civilian with a quality five-shot revolver like an LCRx or SP101 is fully as well-equipped for real-world defense as another using a G17 with 33-round magazine plus ten more strapped to his belt... arguably even better equipped. :)
For the sake of argument - that's an opinion. My opinion is the contrary - I always want more (within reasonable ability for me). If it works, it works. Right?
:cheers:

·
Registered
594 Posts
Yeah, that's the other thing. A mag that's crammed too full and ya end up with dented casings, and if yr loading and unloading yr carry ammo, that becomes very evident. The only Glock I own now is the .45, and I don't even bother trying to get that last round in there. I can do it without too much effort, but I don't like it. I'm perfectly comfortable with 12 rds in the weapon. I do carry a spare, but that's just for the sake of having one due to what I said earlier. (failure to feed/failure to fire, the mag is yr most likely culprit) Yr not gonna have time to troubleshoot in real life, so don't train that way. Take cover, and get yr weapon running. If my gun isn't running right, I'm going to tap and rack for the sake of expediency, but my next fix is to ****can the mag and swap out. you asked... that's my two cents, for what it's worth. I subscribe to the mindset: If it works, don't fix it. Mag extensions are a solution in search of a problem. Same goes for the majority of Glock modifications. Yr money would be better spent on ammo or training.
So, yeah, I agree with what's in bold. The rest, we have a differing opinion on, and that's perfectly fine!

·
Millennium Number 1143
1,716 Posts
Yeah, that's the other thing. A mag that's crammed too full and ya end up with dented casings, and if yr loading and unloading yr carry ammo, that becomes very evident. The only Glock I own now is the .45, and I don't even bother trying to get that last round in there. I can do it without too much effort, but I don't like it. I'm perfectly comfortable with 12 rds in the weapon. I do carry a spare, but that's just for the sake of having one due to what I said earlier. (failure to feed/failure to fire, the mag is yr most likely culprit) Yr not gonna have time to troubleshoot in real life, so don't train that way. Take cover, and get yr weapon running. If my gun isn't running right, I'm going to tap and rack for the sake of expediency, but my next fix is to ****can the mag and swap out.
Dented casings???
I've run through 2,000 rounds of blazer aluminum 9mm with multiple mag drops in various stages of capacity without a single issue much less any sign of a dented case

Reactions: GlockyQ

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Dented casings???
I've run through 2,000 rounds of blazer aluminum 9mm with multiple mag drops in various stages of capacity without a single issue much less any sign of a dented case
This is just my own perception as to the cause (I don't mind being corrected if I'm wrong) but it seems to me that the slide will dent the top rd. in the mag if it's jam-packed and the mag spring can't give any more. I don't like to shoot up my carry ammo for target practice, so it gets taken out and put back in the gun a lot, depending on how much plinking I'm doing. Apparently, you don't do that.

Loading and unloading ammo can also cause bullet set-back, which is discussed here in other threads. I look those expensive rounds over by standing them on end, lining them up, and looking at the overall dimensions. I don't put a micrometer on them, but I pull one or two once in a while, if I don't like the looks of it. Using chamfered rounds can mitigate that to some degree. (Those are the bullets with the raised ridges on the section that contacts the casing where it's crimped) Those tend to stay put.

The smartest (and most expensive) thing to do is just load yr mags with whatever yr gonna use for self-defense, shoot it, repeat. But nobody is supplying me with free hollow points.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts