Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With Glocks I’m ok with 100 trouble free rounds of range ammo & a couple mags of my preferred carry ammo. Other guns are different. I’m good with a couple of cylinder fulls with revolvers. 1911s are another story. I like a hundred rounds of trouble free range ammo and about the same with carry ammo before I’ll trust them for carry.
My regimen with a brand new Glock is to give it a thorough cleaning out of the box & then lube it as per owner’s manual with the exception being that I use a very small amount of grease at the trigger bar/ connector interface because it’s a vertical surface. I’ll bang out my rounds, field stripped it, wipe the soot from the feed ramp and push the fat brush that came with the gun through the bore a couple of times . I’m good to go with carrying it after that.

·
Registered
343 Posts
100 because that's a couple of boxes at the range and I love being at the range every chance I can! 😁 50 rounds of the self defense ammo I plan to carry in said Glock.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It’s interesting to see the different comfort levels that people have. I’ve owned about a dozen Glocks since 1987 and never had one malfunction in any of them. I’m not going to change my regimen but I suspect that if a Glock works without a malfunction for two or thee mags it’s good to go.

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
100 - 200 rds. to check sights, trigger reset and two carry (OEM) mags. Mix of Win NATO 124gr and GD 124gr standard pressure mixed in the mags.

·
Registered
436 Posts
50 to 100 rounds of FMJ, initially, to exercise the pistol.

For function testing of carry ammo, I must be able to shoot 3 full magazines plus one in the chamber, consecutively, without any stoppages.

If a stoppage occurs, then I halt and carefully inspect it to understand what happened. The 3+1 counter is reset and I try again. If a second stoppage occurs then I repeat the inspection, reset, and re-test.

If a third stoppage happens, then I determine the ammo isn't compatible with the pistol. (I've never reached this point during function testing.)

·
Registered
37,726 Posts
I'm comfortable carrying a new Glock after a careful inspection (looking for anything that might've slipped by production assembly inspection), followed by shooting a 'carry magazine load-out' using my carry JHP's. Basically, think 3 magazines. (Same thing after making a repair.) Part of the confirmation process of shooting the 3 magazines would include confirming POA/POI.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts