How many of your guns have failed you?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Andrewsky, Oct 24, 2010.

1. Andrewsky

Andrewsky

6/9 of mine have either been broken or have failed to fire.

2. walkin' trails

walkin' trails

Only one gun once. My Glock 23's slide lock spring broke in the middle of a string of fire. The lever slid out the side and the slide started to come off. That would have put me out of a fight real fast. Always carry a BUG. That gun had gone some 4000 rounds when that happened. For whatever its worth, I've gone thru a bunch of Glocks in 9, 40, and 45 and that was the only thing that really put an end to the shooting fun. I had the trigger pin on a G27 break and come out once. I noticed it because the trigger got very gritty and harsh. Don't know how long it would have continued to shoot. Guns are mechanical devices. It pays to have a BUG available.

3. dc2integra

dc2integra

only 2 of them but i sold the POS sigma.My mossberg 500 jammed up on me 3 times thats because it was brand new and didnt have enough oil

4. Jason D

Jason D INFRINGED Silver Member Millennium Member

A couple S&W, a couple Taurus pistols, a Ruger MKIII, and a High Standard.

5. fran m

fran m

Jennings J-22. POS. Was cheap and just for the range. Made out of pot metal. Not dependable, I forget exactly why. probably jammed too much.

Beretta Tomcat. Newer failed to feed or fire but ejected live rounds from the mag along with spent shells. I didn't realize right away what was happening until I was picking up dirty live rounds with my spent brass.

6. raven11

raven11

I had a Mossberg 550 that would never chamber a shell unless it was tilted up

right now i'm getting a stuck .22LR round out of my CMMG conversion kit

Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
  7. Fiery Red XIII

Fiery Red XIII Adorkable CLM

My 3rd Gen G19 w/HST ammo, allother ammo= no problem

Red

8. smokin762

smokin762

The firearms that have failed me are the following.

Bryco .380, magazine spring failure. I couldn’t keep a magazine loaded for very long.
    Taurus 66, the cylinder locked up. I sent it back twice. The problem kept happening.
    Taurus 85, see above. Same problem.
    Ruger Mini 14, I kept having problems with cycling.
    Wyoming Arms .45 ACP, to many problems to list.
    Century C.E.T.M.E., monkeys should not be allowed to touch tools. Bad monkeys.
    Marlin 336, Jammed on me twice while hunting. That was two time to many.

Selling these firearms fixed my problems.

9. Jeepnik

Jeepnik

Only one has out and out "failed". Others have had malfunctions that have been trace to ammo or magazines (usually cheap aftermarket). I've never had a revolver malfuction that the problem wasn't resolved by firing the next chamber. Those have all been traced to ammo, mostly .22 lr, which isn't all that rare.

So, what was the one out and out failure. Why Matel's Wonder, the M-16. But fortunately, Mr. Browining's best work was on hand.

10. bluejackets92fs

bluejackets92fs I have bad aim

Other than my 26 jamming once while breaking it in, I have had decent luck with my guns. Except for one. My Mossberg 535 was a total poo box. I was using it for my deer shotgun. I put a slug into a deer at about 55 yards and the thing didn't move. So i rack and shoot again, nothing. Rack and CLICK. WTF? I look on the ground and my last slug is on the ground at the base of my stand. After that night I took it apart and thought I fixed the issue but it didn't. I contacted Mossberg and got no responses until 2 months later when I got a generic email with instructions for sending it back. Needless to say, I will never own another Mossberg product again.

11. MarccraM

MarccraM

I am blown away at this thread.... 3 times Mossbergs are mentioned...

Talk about a different perception... I have had Mossbergs and I would have believed they were incapable of failing..

I guess you live and learn.

12. bluejackets92fs

bluejackets92fs I have bad aim

I have multiple friends that swear by them but the thing that threw me over the top was how poor their customer service was. I understand guns have issues but when you make no attempt to resole the issue it really gets under my skin.

13. kurt1305

kurt1305

A Kahr PM40 and a Kimber Pro Carry II. Both sold after two trips each back to the factory. I'm done with both brands.

14. mixflip

mixflip

Every gun I have owned has experienced some level of malfunction wether it was related to ammo, magazine, a weak spring, or a broken part, or me and a bad technique. There is no such thing as a machanical device that is impervious to failure.

Then again I have been shooting guns since I was about 10 years old so thats about 30 years around guns.

I have seen M98 howitzers fail to fire, MK19 grenade launchers malfunction (jam up with a live grenade in the chamber), and pretty much every small arm weapon that the Marines had while I was attched to them.

Even my S&W 357 revolver failed to fire once. The key is to learn to work through malfunctions...not try and find the most fool proof gun in the world, because there is no such thing.

Now if there were a gun with no springs and no primer and no powder and no moving parts and is waterproof??? Then maybe you can have a fool proof 100% reliable gun?

15. fmfdocglock

fmfdocglock

There is no such thing as a flawless firearm.

However, 2 of mine which had significant reliability problems were my Glock 17 Gen4 and a Taurus M94 .22lr revolver.

16. GJ1981

GJ1981 Pitying Fools

Glock 21 - Cracked Frame
    Glock 30 - Broken slide stop at round 20, FTF issues with HP's.
    Phoenix P-22 - Cracked Slide

Remington 870 - Not sure what was wrong, the bolt would come off the slide levers/hooks and basically float. This happened out of the box, everything was assembled right. Not the best description, but this was close to 20 years ago.

Mossberg 590 - Broke or defective extractor. Had numerous feeding issues, sold it at a loss and will never buy another Mossberg again.

SA 1911 - To date, I haven't been able to get more than 200 rounds without a failure to feed, despite it going back twice to SA.

Kimber TLE II - Plunger tube came loose around 1800 rounds.

Marlin Model 60 - KaBoom, overcharged round. Marlin replaced free of cost.

17. checkyoursix

checkyoursix

Been shooting for more years than I care to count, and have had a failure only with a Taurus Slim which was a very good gun in theory except it didn't particularly like shooting, ejecting cases, all that boring stuff. Guess it was too much to ask.

I know there is no such a thing as a perfect firearm, but some of mine haven't heard it and try pretty hard: Beretta's are delusional like that, and H&K's must have missed the memo as well, because they go for thousands of rounds without a problem. Walthers, Steyrs and CZ's try hard to please as well, and they succeed so well.

18. Magus

Magus Deo Vindice

In terms of handguns over the last 15 years or so. Only a few.

1) A Springfield Champion model. This was very early in Springfield's entry into the 1911 market. It just wouldn't feed reliably. Got traded out.

2) A Colt Python. Beautiful revolver. Sadly in double action it would only fire every other shot. This gun was made in the lat 90's during a big down period for Colt. Just couldn't be fixed. A trip to Colt made is worse, a local gunsmith made it slightly better. Got traded as well.

3) Kimber Cutsom Royal I. Also a beautiful pistol. Had very bad feeding issues. No matter what was done to it...it just wouldn't function correctly. Kimber was less than willing to fix it and made me feel like it was my problem. Which is why to this day I won't deal with Kimber. Also got traded.

That's truly all though in terms of hanguns. I've probably had some 40 hanguns in the last 15 year that I've wheeled and dealed. Those 3 are the only ones I've ever had any big issue with.

In terms of shotguns and rifles, I've never had a single problem.

19. wanderinwalker

wanderinwalker 1911

There is no short way to answer this, they've all done something they weren't "supposed" to.

Broken firing pins, broken frame rail, broken recoil spring assembly, unscrewed ejector rods, and loose screws. And this doesn't even include the ammo with bad primers or bad cases.

I believe that if you've never diagnosed or cleared a failure on the range, you're going to be really surprised when it happens to you under stress. "Perfect" doesn't really exist anywhere in the world of mechanical devices.

20. K.Kiser

K.Kiser

All three (Springfield and Kimber) 1911's have failed repeatedly, wouldn't dream of using them for defense purposes...

Had an 870 20 ga. fail to eject a 3" shell, but that's the only malfunction from that weapon since 1982..

H&R .410 broke a firing pin...