Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Until I Gota 29
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have always wondered about a true SHTF scenario, but I've never stockpiled ammo specifically for it. I know the chances of such a scenario are more than slim to none, but who knows. I almost always shoot all of my ammo right after I make it. Usually, the only ammo I have on standby is about 80 rounds of mixed high power JHPs of various brands (all hand loaded, left over from testing), and maybe 50 rounds of range leftovers. I almost always have enough components on hand to whip up a few hundred rounds of SHTF ammo if necessary, and figured I could do so if the feces were to hit the overhead ventilator. You know, in case zombies start gnawing on people's noggins, the OTHER aliens invade, or the Canadians get grumpy.

I've never made a stockpile because I haven't wanted to waste my precious brass and components. Well, I think I've figured out a way to have my cake and eat it too. Since good brass is like gold to us reloaders, I DEFINITELY don't want to use any GOOD brass. I couldn't handle watching good brass sit idly by on some shelf. It would last 2 hours before I hauled ass to the range and went nuts. Since I've accumulated a large jug of "heavy bullet brass", I think I can now start my SHTF stockpile. This is all brass that's on its last leg. It is losing neck tension from work hardening, and will only reliably hold 180-200gr bullets. Anything shorter gets set-back too easily. It will still hold pressure quite well, so I'm not gonna go easy on it. I'm thinking I'll start loading up maybe 100-200 each month until I have about 500 rounds on hand. I'll probably use a 50/50 mix of 180gr/200gr XTPs, and maybe 100 180gr FMJs. Or, I might use all Nosler JHPs for economy.

Anyway, I figure 500 rounds would give me a good head start in case the world collapses, and more likely, I'll have a bunch of good ammo that I can blaze through once a year. Maybe I'll set an annual expiration date, and every year, I'll go run through my stockpile. Do you guys have an ammo stockpile? How many rounds, what load/bullets/brass? Do you feel guilty with it just sitting there?

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
HMM...I think that i am the opposite of you. I shoot a good bit, and reload regularly. I also have some ammo stashed for training, use, and just in case the zombies rise/SHTF. Some of this ammo fits into an "all of the above" category.
I'll load several hundred rounds of 10mm on a load i have established- once the development process is over- and hand on to it.
The way i look at it, if SHTF you will not have time to load ammo, and if it is a SERIOUS SHTF, where tyou need a weapon, you don't need components, you need AMMO. Ammo that was assebled with patience and cvare, not with fingers shaking from stress and lack of sleep as would be likley in an emergency.
It also is a space issue: i can store powder, primers, brass, and bullets seperatley, or as ammo. Ammo takes up less space.

I also am not a fan of "scrounging common calibers in an emergency' type thinking. If that is really the case, why plan ahead at all?
The ammo you have after SHTF will be the ammo you stocked/loaded BEFORE SHTF. Relying on outside supply is foolish.
I have about 2500 10mm rounds on hand, i think, between some cast lead, plated, and XTP JHP rounds i have loaded, as well as some ammo i bought. I also have about another 2-3k to load up. I'll feel comfortable with say 6K 10mm on hand, and a spare G-20.
I also stock other calibers as well.
Feel guilty seeing it sit there? No sir!
I load some plated/cast lead practice rounds, with a certain set of mixed brass, then i have my more serious loads in new starline brass. The practice ammo is often loose in a can, where the XTP's go in plastic boxes. I reload the same practice brass over and over, its my "working" brass.

If you load ammo..then just go shoot it up, is that not more of a waste than loading it and saving it, or just letting the components sit idle? Ammo does not go bad if stored right, so I'd keep adding to your supply.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Not so much for SHTF but for shortages. Mostly just plinking.

·
Ret. Fireman
4,600 Posts
Carrier, ammo doesn't expire unless the powder deteriorates due to excessive heat or extreme changes of temps, humitity. There have been surplus ammo over 60 yrs old that has been just as accurate and potent as when new!

I have shoot some of my handloads which were over 30 years old, still performing well after all that time.

With that said, yes I have a stock pile of loaded rounds of everthing I have guns for, if SHTF or Zombies Swarm! Maintain a supply of...bullets both Jacketed and casted alloy (moulds for every caliber just in case), Gas checks, primers, powder, spare casings all at the ready to ride out any shortages...my family and friends all say if war breaks out they want to be on my side!

You got to see samples of my work with the casted alloy bullets, while they are not Jacketed designer defensive stuff they can be quite effective.

Besides you only have too much ammo when your house is on fire!

·
Registered
10,245 Posts
During the Cold War, I believe that it was not America's nuclear arsenal that kept the Soviets at bay, but it was the 2nd Amendment. Imagine invading a country where every house seems to have a gun, on average. And a stock pile of ammo in every neighborhood or subdivision. Even the country's own government can't keep track of every firearm.

I love this country!

Reload, Baby, Reload! (as suppose to Drill, Baby, Drill!)

·
Until I Gota 29
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Shadow, I know ammo doesn't expire, as long as it's stored well, I just know that I would have a hard time letting ammo sit for ONE year, much less several years. Eventually, I would feel like shooting, and I would be out of "shootable" ammo, and I would break down. If I go to the range with 500 rounds, I usually come home with zero. I'm going to TRY to start a stockpile, but I think it's gonna be hard. It should be much easier with me using brass that's old. I won't feel as guilty about it.

ModGlock, I agree that an armed nation is a serious threat. Unfortunately, I don't think our nation is as well armed as we think. I recently read that only 2% of Americans carry handguns on a somewhat regular basis. I would guess that about 10-20% of Americans actually own a firearm at all. I would bet only about 2% of our population meets the requirements necessary to actually be a threat to an invading nation: 1. they OWN one or more guns, 2. the are skilled enough to use it effectively, 3. they have enough ammo to actually ATTEMPT to make a stand. The percentage that meets those three requirements may actually be even lower. Perhaps under one percent. I guess that's MUCH better than most countries, but it's not Switzerland. I am thankful for the gun rights we do have, but I wish we were more like Switzerland. I wish EVERY able-bodied male had to enlist and own a gun. Just making everyone fire a gun, and learn the rules of safety (and learn that guns do not bring down Trade Centers) would work WONDERS for our country's perception of guns. It's such a shame that the mere idea of a gun (even in one's own hand) scares most people.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Carrier, you are probably right.
Once someone told me they "stockpiled" 100 rounds for their AR:wow:
I thought they were joking, but they weren't.

Not many people I know, really know how to use their guns other than shooting off a bench or out of a deer stand.

Many own a pump shotgun they use for ducks and deer, but that gun will be no match for an invading army of trained troops.

I guess it is a comforting feeling knowing many people here own guns, but it is far from a capable civilian army living among us.

·
Registered
10,245 Posts
Number wise, I think it is more than enough to sustain Wal-Mart's firearm section at every store, and enough to keep a number of firearm specific stores in business, plus Internet sites.

And we're not even counting people who reload.

Overall, in the big picture of SHTF, we should have guns of different calibers, particularly 9mm.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Carrier the best way to stockpile I've found is to reload. I only shoot my reloads and when I'm at wally world and I have a few bucks in my pocket I pick up a box of factory. Go home stick it in an ammo can and don't shoot it.

·
Registered
7,580 Posts
Carrier, you are probably right.
Once someone told me they "stockpiled" 100 rounds for their AR:wow:
I thought they were joking, but they weren't.

Not many people I know, really know how to use their guns other than shooting off a bench or out of a deer stand.

Many own a pump shotgun they use for ducks and deer, but that gun will be no match for an invading army of trained troops.

I guess it is a comforting feeling knowing many people here own guns, but it is far from a capable civilian army living among us.
Great points. A lot of guys I know are very proficient in multiple disciplines of firearms: pistol, tactical shotgun, long rang precision rifle, and battle rifles.

I personally am best with a pistol, although a lot to be learned still. Lately, I have been honing my long range rifle skills: load development, ranging, shooters math etc. I am admittedly weak with shotguns. That is next. Plus it is all a lot of fun.

I am fortunate to belong to a club that hosts all types of events like IDPA, USPSA, LRTR, 3 Gun, MGM Iron Man, patrol shoots, 22 LRTR, mile shoots, etc.. Granted these are all games, but valuable skills can be learned - and practiced! There are a bunch of seriously knowledgeable guys that I shoot with. Nice to be around.

·
Registered
148 Posts
1,000"s upon 1,000's of rounds I guess I like to reload more than shooting. NOT I shoot a lot also. LOL, I cast my own bullets when I cast it's by the 1,000's at a time and bullets look better in brass so I load them up.

·
Registered
7,580 Posts
My brass is fickle. It can't seem to decide whether it wants to be loaded or empty. If it is empty it begs to be reloaded. If it is loaded, it wants to be ballistically unloaded.

What can I do but do my best to comply?

·
Ret. Fireman
4,600 Posts
I tend to have the same problems with empty brass beging to be loaded...but I resist this as I need some empties for testing any new recipies or bullet styles.

Hey I need to ask here...How much is too much?

1,000 rounds?
10,000 rounds?
100,000 rounds? I might be knocking on this one 3rd door down! :wow: :whistling:
1,000,000 rounds?

·
Registered
12,569 Posts
i am assuming your 10mm isn't your only gun,:whistling:so whatever you can stock-up in the back closet is good. if that 10mm is really needed you be happy you got it, along with that 12 gauge.

·
Biggest Member
2,541 Posts
So far Ive got my G20sf in 10mm with a .40cal conversion barrel, pretty soon Ill have a 357sig barrel for it, plus Ive got a sawed off 12guage for shtf. Im going to be buying a glock 26 for 9mm, and a smith and wesson governor for .45 colt, 45 acp and gap, and .410 rounds.
So with 4 guns, Ive got 12 guage, 410 guage, .45acp, .45gap, .45colt, 10mm, 9mm, 40sw, and 357 sig.

·
Registered
365 Posts
21carrier
hey man, I dont want ot seem like a jerk but you are doing it wrongg!! :D

SHTF stockpiles need to be the BEST of your ammo, because when you need it most is the time when you will have the lowest tolerance for drama!!

the problem I see in your post is that you are thinking like a RELOADER!! bad deal for SHTF. Reloaders think ONLY in components, and that has to be a peacetime thought process. you should relegate your SHTF ammo as expendable brass that you cant touch. consider it gone. cases, bullets and all. The problem you HAVE to overcome is the temptation to use old crap to fill your stash, when what you NEED to do is make every round of that ammo able to work in ANYONES gun reliably. that way it becomes useful barter fodder as well.

It's really more of a savings plan than anything else, so plan it like your 401K and put the best you can afford into it a little at a time and then LEAVE it until retirement/SHTF.

It will help you a great deal to plan purchases in case quantities of factory loaded ammo. for 10mm I have yet to find better than HSM (hunting shack) for reliability and consistency and price. you wont be disappointed, and even thier reloads and plinkers with the Gold Dot "UHP-JHP" are still top notch.

anyway good luck. pm inbound

1 - 20 of 45 Posts