close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How many of you fish out of a jon boat??

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Dogbite, Jul 27, 2003.

1. Dogbite

Dogbite DNT TREAD ON ME

A buddy and i use a 14 foot jon boat and have caught alot of great fish out of it.I dont think i want anything bigger.My father in law has 2 big fishing boats,but he is always fixing,maintaining them and such.We throw the jon boat in the truck,and fish...no hassles or problems--Also-- we dont wince in pain when the boat smacks a stump!!!hehehehehe

2. vafish

vafish

Nothing wrong with a Jon boat for fishing.

They'll do everything a $30,000 bass boat will except go 70 mph and drain your bank account real fast like the bass boat will.

They're also great if you live in an area with lakes restricted to electric motors only.

I'd have a jon boat but my dad gave me a canoe. Same principal, just a bit tippier.

3. striderglock

striderglock HVACR

I want one, it will be my first boat. An aluminum boat with tolling motor and 25hp outboard is very versatile.

4. tjpet

tjpet

Have a 16' with a twin 6HP Merc. Does about everything anytime.

5. noway

noway

My friend and I own one 11ft job boat together, great durable, stable and tough.

No motors are allowed in his lake so we use a push stick and oars when out in deeper waters. The only bad thing is when compared to a bass boat, no live wells or other gadets and very rough ride when in choppy waters due to the hull design. I 'ved used this boat in all of my local canals,intercoastal brackish water-ways smaller branches and a few lakes.

a Jon boat "is just a boat".

6. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

Grew up fishing out of them when we were kids. Had a 10, 12, and 14 foot we could choose from. Some of my best memories are from being in one of those boats.

Movin' up in the ages, I fish out of a friends 16' center console War Eagle with a 40 HP Yamaha on the back. That sucker will get into some tight places where a fiberglass boat wouldn't dream of going.

John boats are fun and inexpensive. If it will suit your needs, then there is no problem with using one. Just don't try to take one offshore. That could end up disasterous...;c

7. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man

B.O.A.T. Break Out Another Thousand

8. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Lifetime Member Millennium Member

I've fished out of a bunch of them. I've also fished out of a boat with three guys named Jon in it. ;a

9. lwt210

lwt210

I used to fish from a jon boat all the time when I was in my teens. I would use a trolling motor or oars and find some great fishing holes. Never had a big bass boat nor the need/desire to invest in one.

I would just pull the pickup up somewhere and throw that boat in the water, pile my junk in and take off. Some of the best times of my life were spent like this.

10. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

Yep, thank God for john boats and the ability to have enjoyed them as a kid. It woulda been hell to be raised in a city. ;g

11. DWavs

DWavs Moderator Moderator

I fish the Shenandoah River from a 12' Jon Boat with a 44# thrust trolling motor. I determined that the 12' was easy to load into the back of my truck without using a trailer plus I was able to buy nice accessories since the boat didn't break the bank! ;c

12. nipperwolf

nipperwolf

this is my plastic(polymer?) john boat I've used for 11 yrs.
    Coleman crawdad.
    [​IMG]
    its primary use is chasing smallys on the mostly shallow Tippecanoe river.
    [​IMG]

13. Dogbite

Dogbite DNT TREAD ON ME

Wow guys,good posts,and nipperwolf--nice fish!!!