close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How Many of You Don't Have Health Insurance?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by ColdSteelNail, Aug 10, 2012.

1. ColdSteelNail

ColdSteelNail

How many of you DO NOT have health insurance for you and your family? If you don't, what would you do if you or your child or your wife had a catistrophic illness or injury and ran up a several hundred thousand dollar hospital bill. What do most people do when that happens?

Please be honest and no "let'm die remarks.

2. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Cosmopolitan Bias

If I didn't have health insurance:

1. Go to one of the state-run charity hospitals that are part of the LSU system.

2. Spend the rest of my life paying off my debt.

3. Declare bankruptcy.

In that order.

3. Hef

Hef Stop Obammunism

That's what I would do. Insurance companies screw people so thoroughly and often that I see no reason to waste my money on premiums.

4. Snaps

Snaps Hail 2 The King

Funny story, the better half was previously divorced. Her husband at the time decided htey didn't need insurance and cancelled it. Now she has well over 10K in debt from medical treatment and it wasn't even a major thing. She also has a 6somthing credit score after making headway.

EDIT: Hopefully something good can come from this affordable care act, and that's stop these insane prices they charge just because it's going to the insurance company.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  5. stravis

stravis

4. Thereby driving up healthcare costs as they pass on my debt to paying customers.

6. Brucev

Brucev

Health insurance has normally been a part of my compensation as has also been the case with my wife. In 33 years of marriage, other than the birth of two children, we've never use the insurance except for occasional things like the dentist and eye exams. As far as I'm concerned, we'd have been much better off receiving the cost of the insurance as extra pay in our envelops. All that was accomplished was to waste the money giving it to insurance companies. It was a complete waste for us.

7. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Cosmopolitan Bias

Possibly.

Not in the case of #1 or #2 but probably partially in the case of #3.

I left out one other option that works for MOST medical needs: Negotiation

I say most because there are some that you just don't get the opportunity to negotiate over. But most things non-emergent and, say, non-cancer, you can negotiate cash prices and payment plans with providers.

As for charity, the pharma companies are very generous in helping those who are uninsured and can't afford their medication.

Life for MOST people is do-able without health insurance if they're fiscally responsible and make wise choices.

The long term answer to the problem is to kill Medicare and change the insurance business from pre-paid medical care and financing, to true catastrophic indemnity with 20 or 30 year term catastrophic policies and people paying for day to day healthcare out of their pocket.

It sounds unworkable now but that is because prices are inflated by Medicare and $20 copay plans. Free the market and the above is workable.

8. ColdSteelNail

ColdSteelNail

You have evidently lived a healthy lifestyle and also had some good luck along the way to have not had to use your insurance. However I believe in cases like yours it is better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  9. 427

10. ColdSteelNail

ColdSteelNail

What would you do if God forbid you had a terrible accident, became paralyzed and need healthcare for the rest of your life? I know it's not likely to happen to you but it will happen to many of us this year.

11. winglock

winglock

My wife had to go to a mandatory meeting a year ago for the health insurance company she worked for. This meeting was about the 100's of billions of dollars that doctors have made from phony health claims. Any chance that drove up cost?
    Spend time in-patient if you want to see a little bit how that system screws insurance companies. If they use any tape on you for whatever reason it's billed as a roll to the patient. A glove, the patient gets billed. Not one of my bills ever listed one glove or 3 inches of tape in the itemized statement.

12. 427

I'm working on being self-employed - I simply don't have the money. It is what it is.

13. ColdSteelNail

ColdSteelNail

Nearly all insurance companies have contracts with in network providers. If the insurance companies were not making money they wouldn't enter into those contracts. That's why insurance companies only pay 60% to out of network providers.

I can't believe you're feeling sympathy for the insurance companies when every year they show record profits.

14. JW1178

JW1178

I don't. Lost my job. Scary thought sometimes. I just hope nothing bad happens.

15. ColdSteelNail

ColdSteelNail

I'm very happy and proud for you for working for yourself and I hope things get better for you. Did you know that under the Affordable Healthcare Act if you make less than a certain amount you will be provided with vouchers to help you buy insurance for you and your family. I know the conservatives on this forum don't want to help you out with their tax dollars. But if you have that catastrophic injury they will be paying your healthcare bills anyway should you not be able.

16. Breadman03

Breadman03

I just got it 8/1/2012 for the first time in six years. When the housing market crashed, we had to snooze between our $1,300/month insurance or our $1,400/month housing (mort., taxes, ins.). I finally stopped fighting the downward spiral, gave up the business, and went to school full time on the GI Bill. I cut down to half time as an 8 week course ended while 2 eight week courses are still in session to start a full time position with insurance benefits.

One of the stronger reasons for dropping the insurance was our insurance refusing to cover or only covering a few dollars of the doctor bills that we could reduce our expenses by paying out of pocket. Would you believe that all of our medical bills totaled less than just our insurance premiums? If you walk into the doctor's office and ask the cash price, most knock off a huge portion of the bill because they don't have to sink a bunch of secretary labor into collecting a small portion of what they bill from the insurance company.

17. Breadman03

Breadman03

I basically did that for the last six years. The cost of fighting the insurance companies drives up the cost of medicine drastically.

I remember reading about a trend in CA of doctors just not accepting insurance and telling patients to collect a reimbursement from insurance on their own.

18. 427

Thanks.

I'm already eligible for "free health care" under federal Public Health Services for simply being a "minority".

That status, gives me entitlements to fully paid education and job opportunities - especially w/this Admin.- for simply being a minority. I've been called a fool for not taking advantage, I'd rather earn it rather than have it given to me.

Want to see what Obama care will look like, go to a PHS hospital/clinic. No, thanks.

19. ColdSteelNail

ColdSteelNail

That doesn't change anything. If you encounter a huge hospital bill and have no insurance and are unable to work and pay it off someone else will. If not our healthcare services will go down anyway.

20. Diesel_Bomber

Diesel_Bomber

I have no health insurance. Was young and dumb and got hurt and now have previously existing conditions which make insurance companies either 1. Flat out deny me or 2. Charge so much that, after crunching the numbers, I found out I'd be better off saving the money.

My wife works at a hospital and has great coverage.

I'm well set. If I get hit by a bus tomorrow and incur a $300,000 medical bill, I will sell off some assets, write a check, and then go after the bus's insurance company.