Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in a pretty stable industry so I haven't seen or heard too many layoffs, but I know there's definite pressure on cost reduction across the board. Also I'm now seeing quite a few "lost my job, have to sell guns" ads. I'm wondering how many on GT here have lost jobs from recession cut backs? And how are you faring in looking for a new job? I sure hope you're doing OK, and hanging in there.

·
NRA & GOAL
3,257 Posts
I lost mine in November, started with another company in March. I sent out about 120 resumes, went on about 30 interviews and got 3 offers. There are jobs out there, you just have to dig them up

·
Registered
601 Posts
Got layed off end of March.
Company had been laying off since Sept, when they went to 2 day work weeks with unemployment other 2 days.

·
oh, come on!
1,620 Posts
I'm looking too.

·
Registered
5,999 Posts
I was laid off on December 5th. Interview on 12/17, offer on 12/18, started on 12/22

So, yes and no.

Remember... even in the Great Depression, three out of four workers had jobs. There are valuable skills that will keep you employed right up to TEOTWAWKI.

·
598ci big block
1,352 Posts
Lost mine jan 9th after 5 years, got hired on march 16th this year at another place and its not looking too good (may shut down) but I will live and move on even if its lost as well.
Its hard but there are some jobs out there.

·
Registered
317 Posts
My hours have been cut big time, and my wife job is in trouble. She is facing a wage freeze and all bonus were done away with. We may still have our jobs but our take home pay is alot lower then 2 years ago. We are just getting by. I can't wait for this recession to be over with

·
Registered
4,951 Posts
Laid off on Nov 13, went to work out at my Guard unit on the 14th. Been on orders and temporary technician positions since then. Still looking for permanent full-time work.

Its pretty rough out there, but I am fortunate to have been in the Guard and able to work full-time and not go on unemployment.

·
Registered
811 Posts
i did after 19 years at the very begining of the housing bubble burst it was the best thing that ever happened to me. was able to stop takeing blood pressure and nerve rx.
i am self employed now except for part time at a gun shop and i work there for store credit.

·
JABRONI AUTIST
7,621 Posts
I haven't lost my job, but I got furloughed Jan. 5, it's no fun.

·
Banned
1,650 Posts
9 damn months and no job for me. It's unbelievable. Diminishing health and being young doesn't help me, I'm sure. I've even tried all the fast food joints and the like. Had an interview the other week; would have had the job but they treated it as a first come first get it sort of deal since we were of equal skill and the other guy apparently sent in his application/resume first. It's a shame they didn't count in professionalism in the interview, appearance, etc... and all those other things they tell you that employers take note of in interviews. Or maybe they were looking for a more huckleberry type?

:dunno:

·
Mrs. MrMurphy
1,220 Posts
Moved back to the states in December and really started looking early March. I've lost count of how many jobs I've applied to. Seriously, it's gotta be over 100 by now. For weeks, I'd apply to 6-8 a day.

Trouble is, quite a few companies I sent in resumes to, explained that even though they were short-staffed, business was booming and my resume looked "outstanding" they didn't want to hire me just in case the economy here took a dive. What a load of junk. Thanks for all the doom-saying up there in Washington guys... it's really helping.

Thankfully I got a temp job for a few weeks but when that's up, I'll be lost again.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts