close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How many drivers will die this year in Nascar?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by IndyGunFreak, Jan 21, 2010.

1. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

I enjoy a iittle mix up here and there, but bump drafting at Talladega and Daytona? LOL, Yeah thats gonna go real well.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------+
    http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/nascar/cup/news/story?id=4845878

NASCAR attempting to energize sport

Associated Press

CONCORD, N.C. -- NASCAR plans to relax some rules this season and encourage drivers to be more aggressive and show more emotion.

NASCAR chairman Brian France says the goal is to "open it up" as an answer to criticism that the sport has grown stale.

Television ratings and attendance have slumped in recent years and NASCAR has held a series of meetings with its competitors to determine how best to improve the sport.

In addition to some internal restructuring and a transition from a wing to a spoiler on the race car, NASCAR will now permit bump-drafting at Daytona and Talladega and more contact on the race track.

France says NASCAR wants the drivers "mixing it up."

Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press

2. bfg1971

bfg1971

If Nascar wants the fan base back maybe they should revisit the thinking that brought the chase. I don't like the chase and haven't watched much since they started that nonsence.

Hopefully no drivers will be killed due to the policy change. I am hoping they mean the end of stupid fines for the occassional cuss word rather than ya'll go play crash up derby on the track.

3. Nine Shooter

Nine Shooter Average Guy

Do they still use restrictor plates for some races? How about doing away with those?

4. Ol Timer

Ol Timer ↓ hog hunter ↓ Millennium Member

Literally? Zero.

Figuratively? Only one, Butch Patrick.

5. GeorgeAtl

GeorgeAtl

And then the cars go airborne? Yep...that's the solution!!:upeyes:

They're going to a bigger plate (bigger holes, more HP) at Daytona this year.....let's see what happens there.

6. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Maybe they'd stop having races on oval tracks and put more races on road courses, it'd energize the sport more. Jesus H. Christ, how the hell am I suppose to sit there watching them going around in circle for four hours or more?

7. CitizenOfDreams

CitizenOfDreams

How many people with "3 " window stickers will die thinking they are NASCAR drivers?

8. NorthCarolinaLiberty

NorthCarolinaLiberty MentalDefective

The article seems incomplete. Bump drafting in the straightaways is standard fare at Daytona and Talladega. Bump drafting in the corners is--uh--frowned upon.

9. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

Get rid of restrictor plates, go back to the proper scoring the way it was done before the current format and bring back Winston as the cup sponsor. And bring back drivers with personality, not the polished, cautiously speaking corporate spokesmen they have today.

10. E-2-E

E-2-E Long Trail

+1.... plus get rid of the restrictor plate, and lift the speed limit on pit road. Take away laps, just put a time limit on each race, two hours is plenty for a race. Do away with the chase, and Mike Helton, turn it all over to Vince Mahon. :cool:

11. lonewolf28152

lonewolf28152

Maybe if they would keep the races on the oval tracks like it was in the beginning and stop taking races away from tracks in the south like Darlington and closing Rockingham to make room for races in California and such may help. Need to stick with what made the sport in the first place. I am sorry and no offense but when I see someone from California wanting to do away with oval tracks that just bothers me seeing as how I am from North Carolina, the Nascar capital. I do NOT watch the road courses and I bet it is safe to say that most people around these parts don't care much for them either.

12. Menehune

Menehune

In the last ten years, they have dumbed the cars down so much that almost every driver out there can drive the car to it's limit.

I also really have not like the "chase" point system, and have watched only occasionaly since it started.

A few years ago, still under the old car, and about the time he retired, or maybe just before, Rusty Wallace and someone else did some tire testing for GoodYear at Talladega. No restrictor plate in use, and I believe the speed was approaching 250 mph at points.

That's just fast. Now, should they let them run wide open? No, but do open up the plates and let the cars breathe. You will see that there are those who have 'em and those that don't.

13. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

14. major

major Rejected member

who cares.............from someone who doesn't "get it" about following NASCAR, but to each his own.

15. lonewolf28152

lonewolf28152

Why did you post?:upeyes::dunno:

16. loki993

loki993

Haven't they spent the last few years trying to get rid of bump drafting? Now all of a sudden they want more of it? I think they said that they may be getting rid of the yellow line rule at the superspeedways also.

I thought I heard they were actually going to be using a smaller one? Maybe Im wrong.

Doing away with the plates would make the cars ridiculously fast. Yes they wouldn't get bunched up, but the speeds they would be able to achieve would most likely be very dangerous. Ive heard some other good ideas though, like making them run 6 cylinders at the superspeedways, that way there's no plate, the cars will not be bunched up, but they speeds are still limited to a degree. I think its a decent idea that probably needs to be at least looked into.

Actually all the drivers have said that the New car is much harder to drive and to make handle than the old car. It is by no means dumbed down.

17. SnowCajun

SnowCajun Old, no cure!

I watched NASCAR when I was a kid, the old true stock cars that didn't seem to be going too fast, then got away from it for many years. Dale Earnhardt brought me back to NASCAR, and his death caused me to leave again .. of all the accidents I've seen with cars shredded to pieces and drivers walking away, his didn't appear that bad on film and it shocked us all. I guess I'm funny about sports, I lived in Texas 25 years, was a huge Dallas Cowboy's fan until the moment they fired Tom Landry the way they did, I've not watched another Cowboys game since. I lost respect for management.

18. loki993

loki993

I like Danica. However wasn't she asking for a pile of money to race in NASCAR? I mean shes doing it so obviously they gave it to her or it was a rumor. I thought I heard it was a significant amount though.

19. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

:agree:

I am not even a fan of NASCAR, I feel those should be done away with. Nothing like performance.

:cool:

20. Annhl8rX

Annhl8rX

I agree. The chase drove me away from NASCAR, and the car of tomorrow drove me even further away.