close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

how many cops practice?

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by snair, Jan 2, 2010.

1. snair

snair

im not trying to dog the police haha. where i work very few of the cops ever go shooting. we are normally allowed 50 rounds per month although with money being tight it doesnt always workout. there are guys who cant even hold onto their gun much less shoot accurately. i have talked to guys and told them they should come out and shoot a 3 gun match at a somewhat local range. i want them to see just how fast and accurate some guys are with thier gun and they sure arent cops. (they are great guys though) do any of you ever try and get guys from work to participate?

2. msu_grad_121

msu_grad_121 BOOSH

I used to try to get the guys I work with to, but it's somewhat akin to ice skating uphill. My philosophy is that any time on the trigger is time well spent, but some people you just can't convince. I've shot a few IDPA matches, and I universally get schooled. Not trying to brag, but within my department, I'm one of the best shooters, and it's a little weird to be at a match and hear "You shoot pretty well...for a cop." Leaves me slack jawed every time. Ha ha ha! Heck, I can't get the vast majority of the folks I work with to do ANYTHING that's not absolutely required, and that includes exercising, keeping up with DT, shooting, anything. So for me, no, almost all the cops I know refuse to practice on their own time. More's the pity...

3. DustyJacket

DustyJacket Directiv 10-289

I used to stop at the range and shoot a course every other Tuesday.

4. MeefZah

MeefZah Cover is Code 3

I used to be "those guys".

I carried a Glock 22 and 27, never practiced, and when I was on the range had poor technique and was a poor shot. I liked guns and gadgets but didn't want to do it right.

I wanted to improve but I was embarassed to take training classes because I didn't want to be the only guy in a shooting class that was a terrible shot.

Finally, one day, I decided that I was going to have to do something - I owed it to myself and to the guys I worked with.

So about 4 years ago (which means I was a cop for 6+ years before I got motivated) I switched to a 9mm, for better recoil control and lower cost range sessions; and began shooting a lot. A lot. I took whatever advanced training classes I could and became a much better shooter in a short amount of time. I practiced specific scenarios, long distance head shots, shooting in and from cars, shooting while moving, reloading, and so on. I switched up my duty gear several times (thanks to GT and ebay!) to make it faster and more efficient. I got good sights on my guns.

I continue to shoot a lot, and have developed friendships with competitive shooters outside my normal LE contacts. I shoot with them, albeit not competitively, and take the time to look at their techniques and try different things to continuously make me better.

I guess my point is, at some point these guys will either come around and expend the energy to get good, or they won't. They already know they suck, believe me, and there is little you can do to motivate them to not suck unless they make that commitment for themselves.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  5. Hack

Hack Crazy CO Gold Member

When I go it is on my own dime for range and ammo.

6. Patchman

Patchman Florist

I try to go to a professional school (S&W, SIG, Blackwater, etc...) once a year. I missed 2009. I usually take the intermediate level pistol classes just to refresh the basics. After that it's once a month at the local range.

7. Ducowti

Ducowti

On my own I go once/wk or every other now the temps are cold since I shoot outdoors, and always take advantage of my dept's open range held once/month. We have a great facility, and ammo is provided (!). The guys I want covering my arss are equally motivated so the ones I interact/work with are already practicing, and going to open range.

8. hikerpaddler

hikerpaddler

Everybody at my agency practices. Most enjoy it. I heard a guy holding court not too long ago about how cops never practice and how he never sees them when he's at the public range. I asked him if he knew how many law enforcement agencies in the area had their own ranges. He said no. I said "all of them".

9. nikerret

nikerret Mr. Awesome

When I shoot; other than Quals, it's all me and my money supporting "practice". With that said, A few of the area cops from different Agencies get together informally when schedules allow it. Sometimes we shoot handguns and sometimes rifles. It's fun and we critique each other a bit.

We only go when it's nice out. Haven't been in at least two months.

I go out on my own a lot and work on basic fundamentals, usually with a Mosquito, on my own alot more than shooting with others.

10. SPDSNYPR

SPDSNYPR Zippy's Friend.

I don't practice.

I train.

I can also write a coherent sentence if the mood strikes me. I find that even more important than finding out who is the fastest shooter at the local 3-gun match . . . . but to each his own.

11. Kahr_Glockman

Kahr_Glockman

Best post so far.....

12. Kahr_Glockman

Kahr_Glockman

I do have to add that going out and spending a bunch of money on classes does you no good if you don't continue to train. Shooting is a perishable skill and it will go away if unused.

13. Mwinter

Mwinter I'm MilkMan Dan

Most surrounding agencies get 2-4 days of live fire range time annually per officer (this includes training courses, quals, etc.).

Live-fire per person, I scheduled 5 mandatory sessions last year, 3 patrol rifle courses, 2 night shoots, and an additional 9 range days (non-mandatory). This is in addition to dept quals, Taser/less-lethal, building search courses, and other non-live-fire training. My chief is an old IPSC/Gunsite type of guy, and is definitely more pro-training than a lot of other administrators I've met.

Myself and the other instructors at my job train our people a lot. Sad thing is, I still have several officers who can be counted on to whine, not show up if they don't have to, etc.

14. CW Mock

CW Mock

I do both practice and training. It's all on my own dime, but I do as much as I can. I practice the draw and trigger press at home with snap caps. I do malfunction drills right and left handed at home. You can do a lot of things without spending a dime to keep basic skills up.

At the range, I try to make sure all that dry practice comes together. One of the best things I have done (and I realize not everyone can do this) is go for a walk on the ranch with the gear, and shoot at different objects at varying ranges.

It's sad that I have to do all of this on my own time and dime because the department won't foot the bill for any of it. I understand money is tight, but things would probably still be the same if we had millions in surplus.

15. snair

snair

nice, i agree that 3 gun isnt perfect training but it has its benefits. im not a weekly 3 gun shooter but i do like to go when i get the chance. i have seen guys take training seriously once they go and see how proficient some shooters are. i know i have found it humbling. how do you train since you dont practice

16. Vigilant

Vigilant

We have a few state-owned ranges for Corrections, but I have never heard of any having an open range day. I used to hit the range once or twice a month, on my own time and at my own expense. These days, it's pretty seldom that I do live practice. I'm a CO, not a street cop, but I still have an obligation, which I am neglecting. I could shoot in my back yard, if I so desired, but although I live in the country, I like to stay low-key around home. I have been seriously thinking about setting up an Airsoft range out back. At combat distances, I suspect the accuracy should be fine. Does anyone else practice with Airsoft and an identical replica weapon?

17. CW Mock

CW Mock

I thought about it, but I have not found any airsoft that really feels like an M&P yet. There are a few, but they are lower end, and very "plasticy." We have done some training with the local guys, and they use/have airsoft guns that feel and function like real ones. That equals a lot of fun!

18. snair

snair

i wish i could go out back and shoot. i shoot ppc more than anything but have tried different things ipsc, idpa and just target shooting but im still not a great shooter. ive heard of some ppc shooters who dry fire alot i just dont have the patience for it.

19. Vigilant

Vigilant

Try Airsoft.

Also, for the record, even though our hiring and training standards have improved in recent years, they are still pretty basic. Even so, I not only meet their standards for firearm recert; since we replaced the crappy M65s with MP40s, the lowest score I have made was an 89, with the shotgun, after a recent shoulder surgery. Don't ask; it wasn't fun. The point is, if I were down around 70 or below on firearm qual scores, you can bet that I would be getting some remedial training, soon.

20. snair

snair

i do fine and always qualify easy. when i shoot ppc 3 of the guys i shoot with are nra high masters so im always chasing them haha. i dont think i am inherantly a great shooter so i practice because i do want to be better