Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
24,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got an odd call from an acquaintance today that has me thinking about acquaintances, friend and close friend.

I have a couple of hundred acquaintances, mostly social or business. A couple dozen I think of as friends. But only 4 I think of as close friends. By close I mean trust your life, do anything without question close. The sort who would drop everything at a moments notice and fly across country with out question because you left a message that said "Meet me at LAX now. Bring a change of clothes and a credit card." Ant they show up 6 hours later with a credit card, clothes and only then start asking questions. One of my friends did that to another one. You know those "Friends help you move, close friends help you move the body" type.

What makes those friends different than just buddies?

It is also cold and icy out and my 11:00 canceled so I am being a bum and surfing until my 1:00 gets here.:supergrin: Somedays being self employed is so unproductive.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
I also know a couple of hundred people, have a dozen friends, and 3-4 close friends like you describe above. With that level of trust......I honestly find it difficult to have more than a handful of them, and they earned that trust over many years.

Before any one else says it" They are the one I'd call to move a body"

·
Registered
625 Posts
It is also cold and icy out and my 11:00 canceled so I am being a bum and surfing until my 1:00 gets here.:supergrin: Somedays being self employed is so unproductive.
'Same here.

I think I have a few friends like that, but I don't really know because I'd never put them to the test.

'Hommie is self-sufficient.

·
Registered
21,450 Posts
I've got a lot of friends.....many since grade school. Good friends. I can say I only have one close one though.

·
Badass Member
6,777 Posts
I have a lot of friends but, aside from my dad, wife, and brother, I'd only trust my life to 2 of them. One is my best friend and the other is his dad.

·
Registered
16,857 Posts
My one male friend, whom I've known since 3rd grade is my most trusted friend when it comes to all things legal. He is my P.O.A., health care surrogate, etc.

My other male friend, whom I've know since 3rd grade, would be the guy I call to address matters that don't require legalese.

I have one girlfriend who would get me out of trouble "James Bond" style. She is all that.

I don't talk to them or see them often. Nor do I need to. When I need them, they have my back.

·
Monkeyboy
6,286 Posts
How many close friends do you have?
One, my wife. I'm anti-social.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I have about three friends, plus one cousin that I would consider close friends. Can't really say what makes them different from others, just that they are and our relationships are pretty much guaranteed for life. Kind of friends that stick around through thick and thin.

·
Banned
4,632 Posts
All of my close friends with that degree of trust are either relatives, or people I've known since college, some 20+ years ago. But, I wouldn't expect any to show up at LAX with only that phone call. Before they left their families and businesses, they'd need to know more.

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
ONE!! But we are super tight.. We have each other's back in all walks of life.. We even have emergency employment positions for each other.(we are both in management)
We have been in a few hairy situations and often times almost funny knowing if that drunk tries it, he is gonna get owned before he even gets close....
Fortunately our wives are also cool and very friendly with each other so couples events go very well.....

·
l'Italia s'è desta
7,529 Posts
I have two that have earned the level of trust to call them "close friends." I had three, but one of them asked me to lend him money. He needed a hundred bucks. Since I never lend more than I'm willing to give, I lent him the money. Surprisingly, he paid it back, but I haven't felt the same toward him since.

·
Registered
30,258 Posts
I think "friend" is a over used word.

I think a friend is someone that can show up at your house at 2AM and tell you he wants your prized M1 Garand, and the only thing you ask him is,
How much ammo do you want and do you need any help.

I have a lot of acquaintances but only two friends.

·
Banned
5,471 Posts
I am absolutely blessed. I have several dozen people that are close friends that I'd drop anything for and they'd no doubt do the same for me. Most of them I served with some from school, and some from church.

BTW when people say that they'd trust someone with their life, well I have literally done so with many of mine.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
A lot of friends but only 1 very close friend, my wife:wavey:
+1 on this, I have plenty of good friends, but I'd only trust my wife with my life

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
oh, probably 3 if we're going by the common definition used in this thread.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Maybe 2 or 3. I don't really trust anybody 100% except family members and 2 friends.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
My wife and two dogs are on the first tier. My feelings for those that come further down the list is fairly tepid at best but I'm quite civil.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts