close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How many carry OC/Pepper spray?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by maynardwix, Mar 1, 2010.

1. maynardwix

maynardwix Notre Dame Fan!

I just wanted to know how many of you carry OC spray? I do depending on the situation, I like having the option of nonlethal force, anything to defuse a situation and not have to draw my weapon.

If you do, what type/brand do you like?

2. Davidkxx

Davidkxx Armed Response

In my opinion, it is far more likely that someone will be in a non lethal encounter than a lethal one and therefore, pepper spray is a very important option.

When you need a gun, pepper spay will most likely not do. When you need pepper spray, a gun certainly will not do! Having a gun does not mean that you should not carry pepper spray. The two tools are not interchangeable!

We are so strong in this opinion that we are in the middle of producing an Armed Response DVD on pepper spay which will be available in approx 2 months.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010

3. _STL_15_

_STL_15_

I carry a can of Sabre in my pocket. In my bag I have a can of Cold Steel Inferno thats larger for dogs or whatever. I dont feel like I need to carry one but it works well in my edc system.

4. 6F0 Nick

6F0 Nick Just Wanna Fly

I don't carry any but I did get some for my wife since she can't and won't carry a gun to work (waitress). But I think it is still sitting on top of the fridge, which is where I put it after I showed her I got it for her. I would carry it myself, but it is bright pink!....I guess it wouldn't matter though...still the same burn. Plus if you get sprayed by a guy with a pink mace can, it just adds that much more to the humility!

5. golls17

golls17 Lifetime Newbie

6. tercel89

tercel89

We have to carry Freeze Plus P at my work . I dont like any spray because everytime I was near someone that has sprayed it , I got blasted with it in the wind . It sucks! once you spray it , it is in the wind and will go wherever the wind is blowing . And once you are down from it , all you can do is hold onto your gun in its holster and pray no one gets it because you cant see a thing .

7. Unistat

Unistat

I do carry pepper spray. I do not want to wrestle around with anyone if I can help it. That's how people get hurt, LOL. Unfortunately in Michigan we civilians only get a watered down version.

8. AggiePhil

AggiePhil ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

9. David Armstrong

David Armstrong

I carry Fox pepper spray. I have also given everyone in the family a canister of Fox pepper spray for Christmas presents. I like Fox.

10. Thx-1138

Thx-1138 NRA Member

I carry Fox OC Spray off and on. Any day where I know I'm going into a GFZ, I make sure to have it with me; other days, I carry it if I have room for it in my pockets.

If I ever get a belt carrier for the 2oz/3oz cans, I'll carry it every day.

11. Dalton Wayne

Dalton Wayne Epic mustache Millennium Member

Fox 5.3 law enforcement formula carry as another tool to use so I don't have a gun as the only option. :cool:
    Regards
    DW

12. racer88

racer88 NRA & SAF mbr

Probably not the best advice. The best thing to do is shift into NEUTRAL, come to a safe stop... and THEN turn off the ignition. Reason: If you turn the ignition key all the way off, it also locks the steering column. Not a good thing while still in motion. :shocked:

Back to the topic: I bought a whole bunch of units from Fox Labs. Good guy to deal with. I gave one to each of my office staff (all women). Also one for me to carry. One for my wife to carry. One for the front desk at my office.

13. spartan985

spartan985

We cant get fox 5.3 here?

14. KiloBravo

KiloBravo NRA Life Member

I carry a small canister of sabre red every day to compliment my firearm. I think it is very important to have a non lethal option when carrying. At least if you get involved in a situation that you cannot avoid, you can work your way up the ladder of defense. If the OC spray is not enough, or the bad guy picks up a weapon after being sprayed, then that might stall him long enough to draw your gun.

15. Unistat

Unistat

OC Pepper spray can be no stronger then a 2% concentrate. CS is the only Tear Gas accepted and can be no more then 35 grams per can. No combination spray allowed.

Most companies make a "Michigan Formula" that is reduced strength, I haven't looked to see if Fox does. You can probably get the full strength stuff mailed to you through the internet, but it's illegal, so I wouldn't.

16. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

I do carry OC when I am not carrying a Pistol. I only carry one or the other since I dont want to start of the slippery slide to a batman belt. I use a 4oz can that deploys a non-conical ballistic stream also non flamable and 400,000 shu's.

I know they make stuff alot hotter but I also realize that I may be cross contaminated and do not want to have to fight through 4mil shu I get exposed to it.

17. Sportsfame18

Sportsfame18

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]1 Gram Canisters and Key Chain Release Units

These unassuming 'mini' sprays are ideal for carrying in a shirt pocket, boot, vehicle or for hand-held concealment for close-in encounters. Their size is small, but the effects are big! They come in both canister and multi-color key chain units. The 11 Gram Units and Key Chain Release Units are the exact same unit.

11 Gram Canisters

These 11 Gram canisters can be used all by themselves or as replacements for our Key Chain Release Units. Either way, you are still getting FOX’s famous formulas.

11 Gram Key Chain Release Units

These little units are a big favorite with the ladies, although many guys carry them, too. They are small enough to carry in a pocket or handbag, or with your keys using the removable key chain "release" rings that come with the units.

Specifications:
    Canister alone: 0.4 oz., 3”H x ¾” Dia.; approx 10 ½ sec. bursts in a splatter stream travel 8 to 10 feet.
    Key Chain unit: 3 ½” H x 1 ¼” Dia.; number of bursts, spray pattern and distance are the same.
    [/FONT] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
  18. MNGunner

MNGunner

Plain ole fox labs 5.3 is fine in MI. It is only 2% and has no dye and is pepper only

19. thornesguns

thornesguns

my father is head of safety at a local hospital. he has witnessed pepper spray in action and it did NOT deter the attacker. I'm sure it works on some people but it sure didn't on that guy (at least until his Adrenalin stopped flowing) I have read that hornet/wasp killer is more effective. I was attacked by a crazed drunk guy while working fast food, he came in the back and yelling multiple threats, pushed my manager on the ground and went for the sink full of knives.....i used a fire extinguisher to great effect. worked so well in fact that my dad, along with local pd use the situation in training people on improvised weapons, and how to deal with an attacker that can't be appeased

20. tercel89

tercel89

The key will not turn all the way off to lock the steering wheel unless it is in PARK . So anthing other than PARK is OK . I wouldnt put in in neutral because you'll damage the engine with it reving so high .