close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How many buy beef by the 1/4 or 1/2.?

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by Fireman64, May 13, 2004.

1. Fireman64

Fireman64 REALIST

If you have or do. Do you consider it a better buy. Then at the market..And if you buy in bulk
    do you buy from a private party or from a butcher
    shop. For the last two years I have bought from a
    a private party, and this last 1/4 of beef has been very fatty. I'm not sure if it's the beef or the butcher..

2. Penman

Penman Goauche User

When there was a small market with a real butcher shop in the neighboring city, we used to buy a front quarter and have it cut and wrapped. We also used to buy a whole lamb, cut and wrapped. Good price on great quality meat, the place closed and now we just buy lots of stuff at Costco...

3. GlocknSpiehl

GlocknSpiehl NRA Life Member

You have to ask around to find a good butcher who will listen to how you want htings cut. We used to buy a half when we had a chest freezer. Butcher asked how lean, how thick, how much ground, etc. He would then wrap things in portion sizes in butcher paper and then again in freezer wrap so it would stay fresh for a long time.

4. Fireman64

Fireman64 REALIST

Glock thats what I'll have to do from here on out.
    Make the butcher accountable for the meat, instead of the rancher.

5. Short Cut

Short Cut PatrioticMember CLM

I generally get a couple lambs, a hog and a steer from the county fair. Last year I didn't buy as much at the fair because I harvested two cow elk and a buffalo. My favorite meat is the elk and I like the buffalo better than beef.

6. N2DFire

N2DFire Who Me ???

My family (on both sides) have kept "Hobby Farms" for years and we raise our own beef.

The quality of the beef has some to do with how the cow was raised / fed but (as GlocknSpiehl said) the fat content is all in the dressing and cutting of the meat.

We actually have "processing plants" around here that will pick your meat (beef/pork/lamb whatever) up "on the hoof" (live) and then call you when it's ready to pick up. They handle everything from the slaughter & dressing to final prep & package. They will cut/grind/ package to your specifications and flash freeze everything.

IMHO - I have never had any beef anywhere that tasted any better than what we raised ourselves.

Now for the folks who aren't raising their own - is it cheaper to buy by the 1/4 or 1/2 - On the surface, probably not. However by buying the 1/4 or 1/2 you get to decide exactly how you want it cut/ground/mixed, how fat or lean, and (most of all) you are not paying for the added water weight of the packaged supermarket stuff.

7. JOE MACK

JOE MACK

We used to butcher once a year. We then traded beef to a farmer we know for pork(a change of pace). The freezers also held deer, antelope, bear, and elk. We've got a fantastic trout stream on our place, too. The nice thing was that we had a walk-in freezer, did our own cutting, and did ground meat with what % fat we wanted. What with the truck garden, we were almost self-sufficient. ;f